Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a rock at about 20mph...these are a couple of pics I took after taking the pipe off. How bad does this look / how big a job? Repair estimate totaled $3,400 (including new frame, upper/lower a-arm, hood, decals, etc.) I bought a new MXZ and have decided to repair this GSX myself. This is the worst of the damage - can't imagine that it would approach the estimate cost - with or without the labor included. I know many of you have had or seen similar damage - just looking for an idea as to how much effort and cash it will take to repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't have an answer and I hope my question does not lead to a threadjacking.... Would a skid plate have prevented or reduced the damage? I'm not looking to lecture you or anything at all. I'm thinking of getting a skid plate for mine, that's all.

-Don

·
Registered
343 Posts
WOW, that's some good damage there. It takes a good 4-8 hrs to get the nun and everything off. New NUN is ~130+ whatever else you broke. Get a good rivet gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Get an air powered rivet gun, it's a life saver, I had to replace the nun on my wife's sled when it had 70 miles on it. Also get a couple real good 3/16" drills and a good cordless, the service manual reccomends using Supertanium brand drills. Then plan on a half a day in the garage with a 6-pack of your favorite
and your done.

Norm

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Looking closely at the first pick you will notice the front plate of the tunnel being crooked. Take a pict. looking down from the clutch side and you will see the plate not being parallel with the motor plate.
You can buy that plate or straighten it out. Also take a pic underneath of it and see if the welds cracked where the lower a-arms mount to it.

You can fix it for under a $1000 if your shocks aren't bent. That includes new nun, front plate, new 440 braces, new a-arms for the side that took the hit, ect.... new shock not included if the shaft is bent.

Chuck

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Darn Rock

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe a skid plate would have decreased the damage. The left ski just hit and stuck hard (20mph-0mph in 1sec). Buddy behind me said I looked impressive during my dismount - but he had to deduct points on my landing.

Insurance cut a check for repair - however - they are keeping 20% ($700) called a "hold back" until proof of sled being repaired by dealer. I have never heard of this and my agent is looking into it. I have already bought a new MXZ and will repair this one on my own - I may never see that "hold back" money.

The U/L a-arms and shock look like they are without damage - looks like most of the damage was transferred to the nun / bulkhead area.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am ignorant of the term flying nun. I just recieved my estimate in the mail today. Is thier a technichal name for it? It says frame service 800.00. What does it do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts