Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
When is skidoo going to release a real X-package for serious riders? I can't believe that they advertise (X-Package just like the racers) there is no way that you could race that sled at a professional level without breaking the sled in-half. It would be nice to order a sled that was designed for the true aggressive rider. One that can handle 2 to 3 foot bumps at speed without bottoming and bucking the rider off. Don't get me wrong I love my Skidoo, I just want to see a sled set up for the true aggressive rider.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ski-Doo needs to come out with a true cross-country sled. A sled that will go racing, cross-country or snowcross, right out of the box and not an MXZX something that you can get right off the dealer’s floor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
fsrab said:
Ski-Doo needs to come out with a true cross-country sled. A sled that will go racing, cross-country or snowcross, right out of the box and not an MXZX something that you can get right off the dealer's floor.
[snapback]315333[/snapback]​
A 440 ?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Never! You can thank all the posers for that. Back in 01 they were on the right track untill a bunch of posers had to have an X to look cool. Then they "edit for bad language" and moaned because they thought it was too stiff. Now lets go out and find some posers and kick em in the nuts!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
You can't buy 440's right off dealers floor....(sucks)

Agree 100% with you, but I have to admit, Bombi's short comings in the suspension department, has caused me to make a few extra bucks, by re doing their poor setups for people like you!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree also. They should offer the 440 snocross sled with a 600 for trail riders that like that kind of ride. No changes except the motor. I would be in line to buy that one. I used to race snocross so going back to the trail suspension is just too soft.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I totally agree, they should build an X which is the 440 with the option of a 6,7,or 800cc motor. I'd buy one for sure. But your right the POSERS recked it for us all. They always buy them and complain that they are too stiff. BRP should still see the demand and build/sell a tru X anyway, simply have their distributors warn potential customers of what this sled is intended for. And worse case scenario the POSERS could revalve the shocks. I'd hate to say it, but many times I've recomended buyin Arctic Cat cause of this. They have the closest out of the box SNO-Crosser with stock 5,6, and 700 motors.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree completely as well, in fact I'm having all my shocks revalved over the off season due to the bottoming out so much over even 4 foot bumps or aggresive trail riding, thats ridiculus. If an x package would come out like you guys described, you could sign me up right away, but until then, time to spend more money getting it right.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
The thing would cost $12K US, with all the people already bitching about the spending $10K do you really think that there will be people lining up to buy these things? I don't.

If you're that hardcore you can handle re-valving the shocks, replacing the springs, & swapping the A Arms can't you?

I've hammered my old X on some pretty knarly trails and it handled them well, could be a little stiffer but it's easy enough to remedy. I'm 210 suited up and have taken some 2-3 footers at probably somewhere around 70 and I can only think of a couple of spine tinglers. The X is a nice all around package for the serious trail rider. The market isnt big enough for a big bore race sled.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The way things are heading it looks like I'll be building my next sled. BRP can suck it if they think I'm gonna spend 10k on a sled that I'll have to revalve and add chassis supports so I can be "just like the racers". I'll be getting a 440 or a rolling chassis and going from there. Oh, and what the hell is this deal about the 05 rebuildable shocks. They made it harder to rebuild by having the caps pressed in instead of screwed in. Now you gotta chisel the darn thing off. *%@?
I can see AC taking over the number one spot within a couple of years if this keeps up.

·
Registered
2022 900 R Renegade X
164 Posts
If it is a spring order for X only why can,t you get it the way you want there should be 3 or 4 choices for torsion springs center springs and fronts even 2 or 3 choices on valving. That would create an X package that the majority would be happy with after all you picked all the parts yourself.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The issue isn't only shocks and springs, which can be easily revalved and swapped out. It's the chassis. The consumer MXZX chassis is not as the same, or as strong as, the 440X chassis.

We want the 440X chassis with our choice of motor and RER!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Ditch Banger said:
If it is a spring order for X only why can,t you get it the way you want there should be 3 or 4 choices for torsion springs center springs and fronts even 2 or 3 choices on valving. That would create an X package that the majority would be happy with after all you picked all the parts yourself.
[snapback]315804[/snapback]​
These things are built on an assembly line, they tool for a specific model with specific features and options. It's more cost effective to consolidate as much of the process that you can. You can't make everyone happy, it cost too much. I work for a manufacture that goes through the same kind of issues so I can kind of relate to the issues with keeping costs down and customers happy. I don't think the sled manufactures are sitting around all summer long building spring order sleds, things are still being engineered and tested then you have to wait for weeks for the components to come in and then assemble. I'll bet it's a visious cycle.

Again if it's that important to you just do it yourself, it's really easy to do and can be fun to tinker with it when you're not riding if you're into that kind of thing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds to me like somebody could make some money buying 440 rollers and taking orders from DooTalk. Anybody up to the task?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Bird's had a new 2004 440 roller with a stock 800ho last year for around $9500. Looking back I should have bought that sled. That set-up is probably the perfect sled

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's just frustrateing to have to go and work over your whole sled just after you spent a small fortune on it and still have to spend money to get it where it should have been in the first place (as advertised).

·
Registered
241 Posts
If they did make it you'd pay big bucks...

I'm not sure how much SnoX sleds the pros ride are but Factory MX bikes are around $125,000 to $150,000 each.

I bet you'd pay at least $12,000 to $15,000 for a true snoX package. I doubt BRP would take the chance building many of those.

I guess your stuck buying something close and building it to your expectations...

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I disagree with the COST issue.........the differences from the 440 to the consumer are pretty small in $ amount.................The 4 shocks would be the most expensive nd I am willing to venture that the race shocks would cost ski-doo an extra $400-500 dollars over the "X" shocks.....

The tall lug track is next in line, maybe $100 more

The chssis reinforcements........grand total maybe $100 in cost

Upgraded A arms.......$100 increase.

add it all up...$800 more.........

I'd b willing to Pay $1000-$1500 extra to buy a TRUE RACE READY 600 or 800...........

Also guys...........rummor has it that the 440 is dead......Polaris wants o quit making them......so does cat.........Ski-doo will folow suit..........Next year all OPEN MODS will be 600's So there WILL BE A 600 RACER and maybe Bombi will be smart enough to make about 1000 EXTRAS, to sell to consumers.....

I don't understand the manufactures aditude on these RACE models.......I can walk into a honda dealer and buy a CR250 and it is the same RACE READY bik that many pro's ride........te suspension is not SOFT, the frame is not weaker......Buy, trailer it to the track, and race..........Why not with sleds.......

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I would recommend all of you that want the race chassis spend some time trail riding one. For some of you....maybe all of you, it will be a dream come true. However, on a smooth trail a skilled rider on a consumer sled will ride right by you because the consumer sled is a better carver. The consumer sled is lower and softer and will allow the rider to get to the gas quicker. When the trail gets rough the tables quickly turn.

The stiffer/taller sled is a trade off and not a perfect solution for the masses (including all the "X" riders I know). I would strongly suggest that if you are stand up rider and don't care much for carving corners while sitting comfortably, that you buy a used race sled. Racers give them away every season. Put in your engine of choice, ride and live happily ever after. I'm all done waiting and hoping for a manufacturer to accomodate my exact needs when the perfect solution exists right now....for less money. This is the reason a 440 can be converted so easily. The engineers will tell you this at the race school. They know a small market exists for a trail sled in a race chassis and this is how they meet that need.

Asking BRP to do this for you is just another compromise and you won't be happy - trust me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Tweener, you have a good point. However I think sleds and bikes are marketed to a different group of riders. Almost every bike rider I know races, some of them have actually built tracks on thier land to ride. There is a small percent of guys that buy bikes to trail ride but most of them buy thier bike to beat on or race.
Now the majority of people that ride snowmachines are trail riders. They want a nice soft ride. Then you have the posers that want to look cool but not ride hard. And finally you have the racers and the guys that ride like thier racing. I agree there is a small market for trail/race sleds but I guess its not big enough to be worthwhile for BRP. Even if BRP went out on a limb and put 600 or 800's in the race chassis and sold them to consumers you know darn well what would happen. Posers would be buying them so they can look like Blair, them they would "edit for bad language" and moan because the darn thing is too stiff.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts