Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never ridden around Houghton Lake. I see I can score a room at the Super 8 this weekend but I have no idea where the trails are in relation. Can anyone give me some advice on the area?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
honkydog said:
I have never ridden around Houghton Lake. I see I can score a room at the Super 8 this weekend but I have no idea where the trails are in relation. Can anyone give me some advice on the area?

Thanks in advance.

[snapback]719299[/snapback]​
Very close from what I can remember...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If I am thinking of the right ploace it is right at the bottom of the hill on the trail. it should be a good lo9cation to ride from.

otherwise, the best western is an ok place to stay! pool, jaccuzi, bar, sauna, right near the bars, plenty of parking, free breakfast, right on the trail.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigf150 said:
If I am thinking of the right ploace it is right at the bottom of the hill on the trail. it should be a good lo9cation to ride from.

otherwise, the best western is an ok place to stay! pool, jaccuzi, bar, sauna, right near the bars, plenty of parking, free breakfast, right on the trail.
[snapback]719354[/snapback]​
ttt

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
I'm trying to remember where the Super 8 is located.

If ya can give me a hint I can tell ya.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If thats the super 8 at 127 and 55, people ride between the road and the business to get to the lake. Then if you know where to jump off the lake, you'll end up on the trails. should be no problem with the snow they are getting. I also think right across 55, you can take a few side roads to get to the marked trails also.

Nice place. Pool, hot tub and free breakfast.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ferg said:
If thats the super 8 at 127 and 55, people ride between the road and the business to get to the lake. Then if you know where to jump off the lake, you'll end up on the trails. should be no problem with the snow they are getting. I also think right across 55, you can take a few side roads to get to the marked trails also.

[snapback]719629[/snapback]​
Can't you cross 127 and hit a main trail?

·
Registered
211 Posts
ajsxr said:
ferg said:

[snapback]719629[/snapback]​
Can't you cross 127 and hit a main trail?
[snapback]719652[/snapback]​
I've never crossed 127 from 55 but have from the north shore area. I would guess that if you had the snow and could cross at 55, you'd hit the west trail? Towards leota south and grayling north?

Either way i'm sure he'd be able to get a map at the hotel with directions to the trail system

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Bobadoo said:

[snapback]719598[/snapback]​
I think the super 8 is right at the intersection but it's down a hill from the highway. I noticed it as we drove by. It looked real close to the trail, right next to the big bridge.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
bigf150 said:
Bobadoo said:

I think the super 8 is right at the intersection but it's down a hill from the highway. I noticed it as we drove by. It looked real close to the trail, right next to the big bridge.
[snapback]719821[/snapback]​
Yep...That is right...It is at the intersection of M-55 and U.S. 127

All I can tell you is that it is only 1/4 of a mile from the State Police post and the area is patrolled heavily by M.S.P. and D.N.R.

It is against the law in Michigan to ride in the right away of any state designated highway, unless it has a designated trail running next to it.

Use caution!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bobadoo said:
bigf150 said:
Bobadoo said:

[snapback]719821[/snapback]​
Yep...That is right...It is at the intersection of M-55 and U.S. 127

All I can tell you is that it is only 1/4 of a mile from the State Police post and the area is patrolled heavily by M.S.P. and D.N.R.

It is against the law in Michigan to ride in the right away of any state designated highway, unless it has a designated trail running next to it.

Use caution!
[snapback]719837[/snapback]​
OK I dont need to mess around with the cop shop right down the street. How about the best western? I think its on the lake so I assume I could run the lake to hook up with the trails. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
The Best Western is on the lake just west of the Limberlost.

Here is a website to check out for lodging and info of the area.
http://www.visithoughtonlake.com/lodging.php

Here is a copy of the law from the State website...It does not include the state highway rule, so now I'm not sure about that particular law.

A Snowmobile May Operate on a Public Highway
Under the Following Conditions:

A snowmobile may be operated on the right-of-way of a public highway (except a limited-access highway) if it is operated at the extreme right of the open portion of the right-of-way and with the flow of traffic on the highway. Snowmobiles operated on a road right-of-way must travel in single file and shall not be operated abreast except when overtaking or passing another snowmobile.
A snowmobile may be operated on the roadway or shoulder when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert if the snowmobile is brought to a complete stop before entering onto the roadway or shoulder and the operator yields the right-of-way to any approaching motor vehicle on the highway.
A snowmobile may be operated across a public highway, other than a limited access highway, at right angles to the highway for the purpose of getting from one area to another when the operation can be done safely and another vehicle is not crossing the highway at the same time in the immediate area. An operator must bring his/her snowmobile to a complete stop before proceeding across the public highway and must yield the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic.
Snowmobiles may be operated on a highway in a county road system, which is not normally snowplowed for vehicular traffic; and on the right-of-way or shoulder when no right-of-way exists on a snowplowed highway in a county road system, outside the corporate limits of a city or village, which is designated and marked for snowmobile use by the county road commission having jurisdiction.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
that is not a good place to get to the trails from alot of pavement to cross - prudenville has easier access to the trails here is a number to call (989)366- 5306 nice motel that caters to sledders ,close to the trail access and a guide that can show you the trail system!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts