Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are working with a developer who is looking at building a hotel/conference center near the local interstate hwy. The property also has access to our local snowmobile trails. The developer is asking for input regarding items that would make it more attactive to recreational vehicle users....so lets hear it.....when you pull into a hotel with your sled or your truck/trailer, fishing boat, 4 wheeler, etc....what would features would you like the hotel to have.....outside items and inside items...speciality items...etc..

·
My keyboard expels profanity
4,296 Posts
I would like to see a little higher end (3-5 star) rooms available. They may be a little more expense to keep up as the recreational vehicle crowd can often be hard on a room, but some of us would be willing to pay for it.

I'm sure I can't be the only one on DooTalk that thinks that "just because I'm snowmobiling does not mean that I want a lousy mattress and two thin crappy pillows" Maybe I'm a snob but sometimes the paneling, avocado green musty carpet, and deer print sofa chair with wooden arms gets old. Those places do have their place and I will stay in them but not with the wife or other guys who aren't afraid to spend a little money.

I think a liquor license would be helpful as well. It's nice to be able to have drinks on the premises. It would also be nice to be able to purchase alcohol at reasonable prices and simply walk them up to your room.

Dining with some seriously well respected signature dishes/items would be super. If you get some plated that attract the local crowd in addition to the hotel guests it will serve you well in the off seasons.

A well lighted, large, secure parking area would be nice, I would also think that a grossly "up north" outside "lodgey" appearance would be inviting to the big city set too.

My 2 cents,
Buffy

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
^

I agree with Buffy..............

wait a minute, did I just say that.....?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Garage/shop space to work on sleds. Nothing too fancy, just a work bench and lighting.

Large map. With distances and points of interest.

ATV guys might like a wash station.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1) ample parking for large rigs. crew cabs with fourplace trailers. that kind of stuff. somewhere where these types of rigs, or any vehicle with a trailer can line up side by side. separate parking for non-trailer vehicles. ever been to the great northern in mercer? they've got parking for cars and trucks (no trailers) right in front of the building, and a large lot to the north of the building for trailered stuff.

2) a community room to gather for clubs that may plan a club ride there. always nice to have a room big enough for your whole group to hang out other than a hotel room.

3) pool and hot tub. feels good after those long rides. great for the kids if you're having a club ride that involves your kids. our club does. lots of others may also. that is the number one priority for our club when looking into lodging for our kid's ride.

4) two queen sized beds in every room. if there's only two guys, you each have your own bed. makes it easy to double up with another couple. keeps cost down. will sleep a family of 4 easy enough.

5) as buffy stated.... a bar/restaurant to eat/drink. eliminates having to travel somewhere at night. especially if you have kids along.

mosinee.... i'm a drywall contractor down here in the southeast corner of wi. if your developer is looking for or taking bids, PM me and i'll send you my address. if not, good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I agree with 95% of the above postings.

A LARGE ,WELL LIGHTED SECURE PARKING AREA * #1 a
A place that gives senior citizen discounts # 1 b

VERY close to or on the trail system. #2

Comfortable CLEAN rooms and beds. #3

Good food, fairly priced and a nice HOT breakfast buffet. #4

FUEL / Oil ect fairly close by # 5

INDOOR pool/hot tubs are nice for all involved, from the riders to kids and wife. #6

A bar/lounge area for AFTER a fun day of riding , if one feels so inclined to imbibe in a adult beverage .#7

* As stated , like the Great Northern and several others doo.. different areas assigned for different types of vehicles.
The AmericInn in Minocqua "ropes" off an area right in front of the front doors and leaves it with snow on it just for riders to park their sleds on. That way there are no worries of someone sneaking over to your sled parked at the side of the building. It's all right out in front!

·
Registered
710 Posts
For me being trail accessible is most important. A place to get someting to eat at any hour would be nice. Alot of times my trips end up longer than anticipated and I get into the hotel pretty late. A secure parking area for the sleds is pretty important also. As mentioned already two Queen beds, clean showers, and breakfast in the morning. PERFECT

·
And...here.....we.....go.......
5,656 Posts
Easy access to gasoline, plenty of parking, lots of menu choices (we don't all eat bacon cheeseburgers when we ride), comfy beds, easy highway access, easy trail access.

·
Sorry for Partyin'
599 Posts
You wanna know what draws a recreational crowd?.....Well, look north on the interstate you are on to Hurley. Strip clubs and bars. A cheap place to eat and cheap rooms. If you have the first two items it doesnt matter how comfy the bed is! I understand that it is not appealing to all, but you will get the most people with that type of set up.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Having spent quite a few winters trailering sleds from the city to the mountains and spending many thousands of dollars on rooms over the years there are a few items which always impress me and I wish all hotels had.

#1 - Dryers. Having dryers on site, be it coin operated, or free at a few places in a drying room where you can take some items down to dry is awesome.

#2 - Having a pub/restruant that offers food in the morning and dinner/drinks at night. You just rode all day, not having to drive around town for a good, affordable meal and drinks is great. If the pub is playing sled videos, even better.

#3 - a Very Large hot tub. There is nothing worse than trying to cram 15 guys into a 5 person hot tub.

#4 - everyone has mentioned secure parking for trailers, one other item I like at a few hotels is the security camers that link to the rooms TV's and you can switch to the channel and see your rig is safe and sound. Not a big deal, but its cool.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I would like to see a little higher end (3-5 star) rooms available. They may be a little more expense to keep up as the recreational vehicle crowd can often be hard on a room, but some of us would be willing to pay for it.

I'm sure I can't be the only one on DooTalk that thinks that "just because I'm snowmobiling does not mean that I want a lousy mattress and two thin crappy pillows" Maybe I'm a snob but sometimes the paneling, avocado green musty carpet, and deer print sofa chair with wooden arms gets old. Those places do have their place and I will stay in them but not with the wife or other guys who aren't afraid to spend a little money.

I think a liquor license would be helpful as well. It's nice to be able to have drinks on the premises. It would also be nice to be able to purchase alcohol at reasonable prices and simply walk them up to your room.

Dining with some seriously well respected signature dishes/items would be super. If you get some plated that attract the local crowd in addition to the hotel guests it will serve you well in the off seasons.
Man-Card REVOKED!

You can always bring an air mattress and fresh pillows from home.

Everyone knows to bring their own booze on trips like that or you might end up spending all your gas $$ on well liquor...

I can cook better meals on a $30 propane grill than most 4 star restaurants.

To answer the OP, parking, parking, and more parking. Parking for 60' long rigs. Parking with plug-ins. Parking next to your room. Parking for a 60' long rig, with electricity, next to your room. (FYI, that keeps the rooms from getting trashed too, because people will party in their trailers instead...)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Power in the Parking lot. Available to trailers needing power for lights or power tools.
May be a challenge to get use limited to customers and not just passerby's....

·
Rotaxin' it Up
2,094 Posts
Garage/shop space to work on sleds. Nothing too fancy, just a work bench and lighting.

Large map. With distances and points of interest.

ATV guys might like a wash station.
That is a good idea.
Also I think that some larger parking spots would be nice, a lot of "pull through" spots. Have a large selection of maps that would accommodate all kinds of recreational vehicles

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
As someone who tries to travel cheap , I could pass on several of the "fluff" suggestions , but there are some things that I WOULD consider to be important enough to pay extra for :

Food on site wouldn't require denying "manhood" , a communal kitchen (grill , burner , microwave) could ensure a decent meal even if the dining room is closed , by preparing food you carry in your vehicle OR saddlebags .

Secure sled/atv parking (closed circuit viewing
) with heated work space would further enhance the "saddlebag destination " experience and possibly set this apart from a "motel with trail access"

the work space obviously needs a vice but should also include an anvil (floor mounted , heavy gauge angle iron) and sledge . A rental 110 volt mig welder with flux core wire , air/acetylene torch , rivet gun and sawzall would be a trip saver for some people

·
4,296 Posts
Man-Card REVOKED!

You can always bring an air mattress and fresh pillows from home.

Everyone knows to bring their own booze on trips like that or you might end up spending all your gas $$ on well liquor...

I can cook better meals on a $30 propane grill than most 4 star restaurants.

To answer the OP, parking, parking, and more parking. Parking for 60' long rigs. Parking with plug-ins. Parking next to your room. Parking for a 60' long rig, with electricity, next to your room. (FYI, that keeps the rooms from getting trashed too, because people will party in their trailers instead...)
Im going to let this nonsense slide

·
4,296 Posts
buffy........Is what ramapage said so wrong??????

What's wrong with roughing it from time to time?

You don't need nail polish every trip do you?
There are Dootalk peeps who can speak to my grilling prowess. I also own a portable and have used it outside some real freaking dives in the course of my snowmobile career. I too have (gasp) drank beer from a can that made the trip in a cooler. I have even slept in a sleeping bag on a couch that smelt of "God knows what." That being said, I think that the dives far outweigh the more civilized locales when it comes to snowmobile lodging so thats why my commentary was as read.

Something that at least gives someone the option for a little more upscale lodging would do well, I didnt say that all the rooms had to be such. There are plenty of rooms available through the snow belt to "rough it" I stand by my remarks as I am certainly past the desires of wanting to snowmobile like some college frat kid.

No nail polish but considering guyliner,
Buffy

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
There are Dootalk peeps who can speak to my grilling prowess. I also own a portable and have used it outside some real freaking dives in the course of my snowmobile career. I too have (gasp) drank beer from a can that made the trip in a cooler. I have even slept in a sleeping bag on a couch that smelt of "God knows what." That being said, I think that the dives far outweigh the more civilized locales when it comes to snowmobile lodging so thats why my commentary was as read.

Something that at least gives someone the option for a little more upscale lodging would do well, I didnt say that all the rooms had to be such. There are plenty of rooms available through the snow belt to "rough it" I stand by my remarks as I am certainly past the desires of wanting to snowmobile like some college frat kid.

No nail polish but considering guyliner,
Buffy
OK Buffy, I see where you are coming from.........

Perhaps I jumped too fast to a conclusion..........

But please, no guyliner.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts