Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
<EDIT> Do to the graphic content of the horrifying Destruction (Relocation) of Forest Dirt

I replaced the video with I'm hoping will be a G rating for those who are trying to raise a desent family.

Dust was a little much to see, so I stopped for a while and coasted down the hill for a little bit.

View attachment 193562

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Thats what closes land here.

But at least you were out riding.
x2
cheers to riding though. no for ruining it for someone else.
but hey i wont be in cali for a long time soi am good to go right? lol if i had my way, i would report this to the authorities and have you guys out there with a rake to smooth and a toothbrush to push every last piece of sand you moved back to its rightful place. but who am I to be able to do that. Sorry, i just see this carelessness way too often around my house. steve

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what closes land here.

But at least you were out riding.
Why would that close land? Its a forest of dirt and trails. Its a massive Off Road park, you could spend days there and not ride the same trail. The entire area is dedicated to people who buy and register off road quads and dirt bikes. It is nothing but a bunch of lifeless dry dirt with trees. The only reason trees grow there is because the land has snow on it 6 months out of the year. I hope people don't think the tree got hurt or something like that. What do they think happens when trees are cut down and skid it out to build houses?

I guess things are done a little different in the wild wild west. I thought Cali was bad for having tree hungers. Do they have people back East that actually worship dirt? Sorry to hear they close down your off road areas for something as petty as spinning tires in dirt.

What do you think they'd doo if they saw this? Wonder how long this flat bed has been here? Lot of garbage in the area too. Looks like many people use it for target practice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
looks like you need a tire after that haha

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Why would that close land? Its a forest of dirt and trails. Its a massive Off Road park, you could spend days there and not ride the same trail. The entire area is dedicated to people who buy and register off road quads and dirt bikes. It is nothing but a bunch of lifeless dry dirt with trees. The only reason trees grow there is because the land has snow on it 6 months out of the year. I hope people don't think the tree got hurt or something like that. What do they think happens when trees are cut down and skid it out to build houses?

I guess things are done a little different in the wild wild west. I thought Cali was bad for having tree hungers. Do they have people back East that actually worship dirt? Sorry to hear they close down your off road areas for something as petty as spinning tires in dirt.

What do you think they'd doo if they saw this? Wonder how long this flat bed has been here? Lot of garbage in the area too. Looks like many people use it for target practice.
Well working in Soil Conservation I see an issue with anything like that.

I guess we all have differing opinions, but here, you can't ride your quad/bikes just anywhere anymore....Its because people went off the trails and started tearing stuff up. It doesn't matter if you pay registration or anything like that. Who cares about money, I put a ORV sticker on my truck too, but I just don't blast off on any two track or in the woods and burry it to the axle.

I guess I don't see the point of doing that....I've got extensive classwork and some job (internship) experience in forestry best management practices too. So comments about skidding logs etc....I know what happens, I also know why most of that is done in the winter time around here....Frozen ground, fewer ruts, fewer erosion sites.....

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

I guess we all have differing opinions, but here, you can't ride your quad/bikes just anywhere anymore....Its because people went off the trails and started tearing stuff up. It doesn't matter if you pay registration or anything like that. Who cares about money, I put a ORV sticker on my truck too, but I just don't blast off on any two track or in the woods and burry it to the axle.

I guess I don't see the point of doing that....I've got extensive classwork and some job (internship) experience in forestry best management practices too. So comments about skidding logs etc....I know what happens, I also know why most of that is done in the winter time around here....Frozen ground, fewer ruts, fewer erosion sites.....
I was raised in the forest. My home town high school was call the "Libby Loggers". You have your facts wrong. Logging is not done in winter. At least where I'm from or anywhere I've been in the real world of trees. I think its just two very different worlds we live in. I'm sure a lot of people agree with you. I just see it as dirt in a forest. Ever see what a horse or large game does to the forest just walking through it? Should see what happens when they run.

Also, The Forest Service in the my world have people go through the forest and tear up the vegetation, brush and small trees to improve tree growth and assist in fighting fire. Disturbing the dirt is a non factor. The Forest Service back east must be completely different.

Other people on the board need to let me know if our way of life offends them. I'll stop posting pictures and videos of what we doo. We ride quads in streams and sand mountains too. I have no problems with disturbing dirt, rocks, gravel or sand. I had plan on posting something every week, as we go quadding every week in the summer time. Buddy just got a new DS450 X Package, and was going to show off his new ride next week while we go camping with our neighbors.

So if you don't like it, speak up. I'm planning on showing a lot lot more.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wanna see this! but i mean really....its dirt? if it really matters that much take 30 seconds out of your day and kick the dirth back into the hole?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts

There actually is 5 open ride areas left in MI, where you can ride anywhere, do whatever you want. The problem is, with Michigan being made out of bottomless sand, once you burn through the top layer of vegetation, the spots of open sand will keep growing and growing (especially on hills) until a trail is re-routed. If there is no designated trail, then the whole area would turn into sand...

I like some of ski-doo only's vids... some of the sledding vids are great, I don't really care about quad vids... But some of the vids are poster-child examples for why groups like the Sierra Club try to restrict land access.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
There actually is 5 open ride areas left in MI, where you can ride anywhere, do whatever you want. The problem is, with Michigan being made out of bottomless sand, once you burn through the top layer of vegetation, the spots of open sand will keep growing and growing (especially on hills) until a trail is re-routed. If there is no designated trail, then the whole area would turn into sand...

I like some of ski-doo only's vids... some of the sledding vids are great, I don't really care about quad vids... But some of the vids are poster-child examples for why groups like the Sierra Club try to restrict land access.
Exactly.

I guess we live in two completely different worlds as he said in his post. I should have just kept my mouth shut, but there is no point to spinning your tires axle deep anyways. Like rampage said, it just fuels the fire for one or more of these groups.

Horses and animals do tear things up, but there is a very very different view on those animals compared to the ORV's. MI is going thru that in certain areas right now where horses are permitted but ORV's are starting to be closed off. Its far more variables to compare animals and ORV's....Apples to Oranges.

I've said my peace, and have tried to educate you on how things work in the 'East' as you call it, I'm glad you have fun out there, and it looks like a great area to play in, your sled vids and pics are amazing, looks like its fun riding quads too...Its just my opinion that operating like that is careless. Sorry but its my opinion, I'll keep it at that.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
unfortunately eric this is just like any can thread. you will have the people who dont care everywhere i guess. by some of the comments made about disturbing i feel this should get deleted right off the forums so that no one can even see this and possibly use it against atvs and snowmobiles. Mods please do us a favor as you normally have to do anyway it seems.
steve

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
The problem is we have to many things to have problems with. Around me the people that would have a problem with that are the ones that think its ok to let their horse crap in the middle of the road. I have a problem with that.

when I first saw the pic I laughed thanks for that I like laughter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think most of it comes down to in the east you have far less area to do these types of activities in where once you get west it is acres upon acres of enless riding areas. People in the midwest and east already have minimal riding areas so trying to keep the little areas they have is much more precious to them. Where out west there are acres upon acres of riding areas to do these types of outdoor activities, even though year after year more land is being closed off.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Knowing it's in a Off Road park is a key piece of info. If it was public lands, you guys digging holes like that should be prosecuted for destruction of property. I would be pretty upset walking through the woods hunting only to stumble across a bunch of destruction like the video shows.

Now, if the park officials support or don't care that stuff like that happens. Then it's all good.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem is we have to many things to have problems with. Around me the people that would have a problem with that are the ones that think its ok to let their horse crap in the middle of the road. I have a problem with that.

when I first saw the pic I laughed thanks for that I like laughter.
Ya, I thought it was funny too. But based on where you live, I can see why some folks don't understand it.

I try to keep most of my post all snowmobile related but its summer time, and just read a thread by a mod about how slow the site was and posted something up. I love coming to the site and sharing outdoor adventures, its become a habit. DooTalk has become part of my life and I've kind of been using it as a Diary of some sorts. I try to post things that are unique and family oriented.

I like reading others adventures as well. Loved the recent Moose hunting story and how well he put it together. That's something me and my dad did when I was living at home as a kid. But there is nothing like that in California, so I really liked the story and pictures. Most people over here would have a fit with something like that, but they just don't understand that kind of life style.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Knowing it's in a Off Road park is a key piece of info. If it was public lands, you guys digging holes like that should be prosecuted for destruction of property. I would be pretty upset walking through the woods hunting only to stumble across a bunch of destruction like the video shows.

Now, if the park officials support or don't care that stuff like that happens. Then it's all good.
Destruction? Prosecuted? LOL! Such strong words! I should have posted a warning that the images and video links in this post are very graphic. This site is starting to get a little too self righteous of people who think they know it all and think the world revolves around them and their personal beliefs.

And buy the way, the forest over here is so deep in needles and branches that get saturated in snow and then get severely dried out by the sun for six months straight with no rain - its just like dust. When the tire was pull out of the massively destructive hole, it practically filled its self up like pulling a tire out of sand. I'd like to see you walk through this dried up forest and go hunting. Good luck finding water and something to shoot at. Your feet will sink 4 inches in it because it so soft and fluffy.

I know you think you know everything about the forest, but you don't know jack about the ones over here. Honestly we don't even ride off the trails, because you sink like quick sand and risk popping your tires on sharp stick and little tree stumps from the forest service having to brush it out. Its nasty, not even the forest animals like it. What's funny to me is you have no idea what I'm talking about.

But it makes great lumber to build houses like the one you live in. Maybe you should get one of your lawyer friends to prosecute yourself for destroying forest land to build your house. Or was it OK to disturb the earth just for your home, and now everyone else needs to keep the forest natural so when you go hunting, you don't get upset?

DESTRUCTION

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Having lived in California, and the Mid-West, I have to agree.. TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT types of forests !!! His statements are completely true about the needles and such.

Not agreeing or arguing with anything other than that. On either side. No need to fan the flames.
Not even making a political bash/ posting ( is that good marc ? )

Pat

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Destruction? Prosecuted? LOL! Such strong words! I should have posted a warning that the images and video links in this post are very graphic. This site is starting to get a little too self righteous of people who think they know it all and think the world revolves around them and their personal beliefs.

And buy the way, the forest over here is so deep in needles and branches that get saturated in snow and then get severely dried out by the sun for six months straight with no rain - its just like dust. When the tire was pull out of the massively destructive hole, it practically filled its self up like pulling a tire out of sand. I'd like to see you walk through this dried up forest and go hunting. Good luck finding water and something to shoot at. Your feet will sink 4 inches in it because it so soft and fluffy.

I know you think you know everything about the forest, but you don't know jack about the ones over here. Honestly we don't even ride off the trails, because you sink like quick sand and risk popping your tires on sharp stick and little tree stumps from the forest service having to brush it out. Its nasty, not even the forest animals like it. What's funny to me is you have no idea what I'm talking about.

But it makes great lumber to build houses like the one you live in. Maybe you should get one of your lawyer friends to prosecute yourself for destroying forest land to build your house. Or was it OK to disturb the earth just for your home, and now everyone else needs to keep the forest natural so when you go hunting, you don't get upset?

DESTRUCTION
Once again you compare apples to oranges, with houses etc...Do you not have vigurous permitting and fine issues if you build wrong, tear something up when building etc? You should see the stack of paperwork loggers need to fill out and permit fees they need to pay in order to do what they do. Think I'm wrong? Good for you, but thats how it works here. The problem your not seeing is that this is the type of Ammo special intrest groups AGAINST riding ORV's, Sled's, PWC's, etc....are looking for. They can turn this story into 'every quad in america does this' or 'look why these areas should be quiet no traffic areas' etc....Its not that you've destroyed the forest or the soil, thats not the point we are trying to make. ORV park or not, it can get changed. IMHO ride all you want, post all you want, etc...We all share a common love here, but I'm just trying to get my point across, honestly, as long as your acts of carelessness (just my .02) don't harm me or my riding areas, carry on! But when the Nature Conservency buys and closes 10k acres thats your playground, because of 'destruction, and mis-use' I won't feel bad, because they will turn it into that if it becomes a big enough problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I guess things are done a little different in the wild wild west. I thought Cali was bad for having tree hungers. Do they have people back East that actually worship dirt?
Oh you have no idea..... its bad

1 - 20 of 65 Posts