Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my sled for a quick trip around the lake this weekend, and it died after about only 1/4 mile.
I was riding in about 8 inches of fresh snow, not going wide open (maybe 65 mph). I pulled the plugs and it looks like there is a hole in the top of one piston. The hole does not go all the way through, but its is definitely toast.

The sled was warmed up - my son had been riding it around for about an hour, never going more than 30 mph.

This is the second time this has happened to this sled. The first time I figured it was my fault since I was riding WFO in deep snow for several miles. But that was a couple of years and probably 700 miles ago.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this, please let me know. I'm no mechanic by any means but I don't mind getting my hands dirty if I know what to look for.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well a couple of things come to mind, 1 are the right plugs in and are they gapped correctly(to much too hot etc)? what side melted down the first time and this time? is the oil pump working to both sides? check tubing, and are the carbs running equally(is one leaner than the other?) have to take them apart to be sure. good luck, any more questions dont hesitate to ask.
ckoz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jak_nelson said:
what type of plugs do you have and what does the plug look like for that cyl.
[snapback]280660[/snapback]​
I use BR9es plugs, which is what the owners manual says to use. The brand is NGK) The plug for the burned up cylinder is gray/white and looks like the electrode is partially melted (shorter than it used to be). When I burned up the piston a couple of years ago, this is what the plug looked like.

The plug on the other cylinder looks good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ckoz71 said:
Well a couple of things come to mind, 1 are the right plugs in and are they gapped correctly(to much too hot etc)? what side melted down the first time and this time? is the oil pump working to both sides? check tubing, and are the carbs running equally(is one leaner than the other?) have to take them apart to be sure. good luck, any more questions dont hesitate to ask.
ckoz
[snapback]280663[/snapback]​
I've got the right plugs, and they should be gapped properly. They are the same plugs I used all of last season. This was the first time out on the sled this year.

Both times it was the right-hand side cylinder that melted down.

As far as the oil pump goes, I don't know. Like I said, it ran last season with no problems, and my son drove it (very mellow) for about an hour before I hopped on. How can I tell if the oil pump is functioning properly? Maybe it is OK at lower speeds, but insufficient at high speeds?

Thanks for the response!

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
A hole in the piston is dentonation it is caused by eather a dirty carb (lean) or ignition problems , check the carbs first

·
Advanced......dat's how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
If it's the first run of the year, and you have signs for a lean cylinder, sounds to me like you have a plugged jet. My vote is to take the carbs out and check the jets.

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Check the rubber boot between the carb and block. Make sure it's not dry rotted or the clamps are loose.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I would sat deto is the right track but I have also seen this happen when the cyl head oring cracks. You get water blasting of the piston crown and thus thermal shock. Have a quick look at the orings and see if piston is clean as a whistle. If it is water has cleaned her up real well! lol

Jamie

DevoMR said:
I took my sled for a quick trip around the lake this weekend, and it died after about only 1/4 mile.
I was riding in about 8 inches of fresh snow, not going wide open (maybe 65 mph). I pulled the plugs and it looks like there is a hole in the top of one piston. The hole does not go all the way through, but its is definitely toast.

The sled was warmed up - my son had been riding it around for about an hour, never going more than 30 mph.

This is the second time this has happened to this sled. The first time I figured it was my fault since I was riding WFO in deep snow for several miles. But that was a couple of years and probably 700 miles ago.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing this, please let me know. I'm no mechanic by any means but I don't mind getting my hands dirty if I know what to look for.
[snapback]280629[/snapback]​

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.