Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
I tried searching but didnt come up with anything, so here goes....

Well long story short i was drilling out a busted bolt the drill bit broke and it made a nice 1/4" hole in the gas tank. I managed to get some thin plastic and jam it in there with some locktite 495 glue like a plug then glued a larger piece of plastic over that like a patch. It seems to be holding alright for now but i dont think its going to last too long before it leaks.

How the heck would i go about sealing this up proper, or should i just get a new tank and not bother?

What is all required to fit on doo's 861302200 clear tank? i see its a direct swap for the summits 090 tank, anyone know the diff from the 080 tank?

·
Registered
44 Posts
[quote name='06MXZXRenegade800' date='Jan 30 2006, 02:39 AM']

I had a hole it my 3 gallon tank and what I did was weld it up.I just use a sodering gun and cut a few strips of plastic,then just melt it.It is best to try and use the same plastic.Maybe you can cut a piece off the tank on a edge.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
If you try a plastic weld make sure you take the tank off and wash it out with soap and water let it air dry outside before attempting this.

Try and find a used tank from a salvage yard,before new.
Rich

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i would try the soldering tip,
i think loctite will eat the plastic
and start leaking later.
or try some 5 min epoxy
just rough up the tank with sandpaper

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, well i dont really want to burn down my sled so maybe ill try the expoxy/jb weld on it. ive got some good loctite epoxy here i can give it a shot and see what happens.

Should i just fill up the hole with epoxy or should i also glue a patch over top of it too?

·
Registered
483 Posts
just clean up the hole and use a threaded screw a wood screw works good, load the threads up with jb weld or epoxy and thread the screw in dont over tighten it or it will strip you want to use a wood or metal screw with really big threads like an 8 or something the thicker threads grab the plastic better , if its a ragged hole then drill it out and use the next biggest screw that you can it should hold up well.
and if its in the thicker part of the tank then I would use a tap and thread the holes and use a botl same thing gunk it up good with epoxy or jb weld, jb weld only works good if its warm if you try and use it when its really cold it does not setup and stick that great bring it in your gargae heated or somehting

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have done the same thing before. I used a threaded stud off another old tank then found a cap for it held up good. Used a epoxy as loctite for it. just a way to get by never did leak. lasted two seasons anyway. just an idea....
06MXZXRenegade800 said:

Well long story short i was drilling out a busted bolt the drill bit broke and it made a nice 1/4" hole in the gas tank. I managed to get some thin plastic and jam it in there with some locktite 495 glue like a plug then glued a larger piece of plastic over that like a patch. It seems to be holding alright for now but i dont think its going to last too long before it leaks.

How the heck would i go about sealing this up proper, or should i just get a new tank and not bother?

What is all required to fit on doo's 861302200 clear tank? i see its a direct swap for the summits 090 tank, anyone know the diff from the 080 tank?
[snapback]687512[/snapback]​

1 - 8 of 8 Posts