Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm in the middle of finishing off my garage.

In the past when I wanted to lift the back of the sled up enough to pull the skid or stud. I would run a ratchet strap up to the rafters and back down.

I now need a clean way to make attachment point with the finished ceiling.

Let's see some ideas please

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
I’m sure the eye bolt into a single rafter is ok, but that’s a little close for my comfort. In my old house, I took a scrap piece of 4x4 post into my attic, and spanned it across 4 rafters, screwed in place. I drilled a 1/2” hole thru it and the drywall below and used an extra long 1/2” forged eye bolt thru the ceiling and post. Hung a 1/2t chain hoist from China Freight off of that, and it worked perfectly.

·
ride hard or die trying
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you I like the idea from cobra.

The threaded eye bolt I'm sure it fine just doesn't doesn't sit right in my mind to me

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
At my dads house, i hung many many sleds off the same two eyelets screwed into single rafters for 15 years. And been doing that in my current garage for over 6 yrs now. I have also lifted the front of the sled off the ground on occasion. Never had any issues or had an eye pull out.

The idea of putting a 4x4 on top of the rafters and screwing into it sounds good, but i dont have any access to that area and would have to cut a hole just to make this possible. But i have never had any issues, soo im not too worried about it. My two eyelets have one unused rafter between them, and for normal picking of the track i will just use one. but for heavier things like the front end i use em both with 2 ratchet straps.

·
Super Moderator
29,368 Posts
Cheap and easy, and available at any hardware store or lowes/homedepot. I have a 3/8" one and a 1/2" one in the garage and have hung many a sled, never had one pull out.
I've done it this way since 1992.

I took it a few steps farther 10-15 years ago and added an easy lift hoist to it as well. For the hoist I couldn't get into good meat above so I bored out a 2x6 to hold the pipe then mounted that between the floor joists. The hoist makes it easy to lift and hold to whatever height I need it at.

Over the years where I park my sled has moved a little within the garage so I move my pulley wherever it's needed at the time.

v11VIJW.jpg

Ni6goow.jpg

Reactions: Mike-337

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I like an I beam across the ceiling with a trolley and chain hoist.

The places I've had set up like that had square tubes in the stud-walls to support the I beam.

I just swapped my old made in USA chain fall for the cheap made in china one that came with the current place, and wouldn't auto-lock.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
These are all good ideas guys. As long as you keep in mind the total weight you are trying to lift you will be good.

A single good quality eye bolt threaded 2" min into a stud min should be good for 250-300 lbs short term loading (deer skinning, small engine extraction, holding rear end of sled, etc.) and if you need to hold it for longer than a few weeks you better start adding reinforcing or spanning multiple trusses to be safe.

Reactions: NSHM and MX-Z Man

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I'm sure the eye bolt into a single rafter is ok, but that's a little close for my comfort. In my old house, I took a scrap piece of 4x4 post into my attic, and spanned it across 4 rafters, screwed in place. I drilled a 1/2" hole thru it and the drywall below and used an extra long 1/2" forged eye bolt thru the ceiling and post. Hung a 1/2t chain hoist from China Freight off of that, and it worked perfectly.
did the same thing, works excellent you can unhook your chain hoist and store it in a bucket when not in use

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I bought this electric hoist on Amazon for about $100, and mounted it to the Unistrut channel with caster wheels available from Unistrut, so I can use it across the width of my shed. Works great when I have two sleds side by side being worked on, so I can lift the rear of one or the other. If interested I can probably send you the links for the hoist, from Amazon and Unistrut parts from McMaster-Carr

Attachments

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I bought an electric hoist to hang from the ceiling and then did what ICUTMETL did, put a 4x4 across the rafters. Mine happened to be 8' long so it spanned 4 rafters. I didn't nail it in place as I think the weight is enough to keep it in place. The cables around the bar in the picture wrap around the 4x4 above. The boards you see there are just to keep the sheetrock from sagging. I'll replace them with a single board in the future, it was just what I had on hand.

You can see the S hook, that was my old way of lifting with a ratchet strap.

IMG_5079.JPG

I've lifted a 1991 Evinrude V6 150 HP motor with this. Just under 500 lbs.

Attachments

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,384 Posts
I like an I beam across the ceiling with a trolley and chain hoist.
The places I've had set up like that had square tubes in the stud-walls to support the I beam.

I just swapped my old made in USA chain fall for the cheap made in china one that came with the current place, and wouldn't auto-lock.
Me too
Here's mine with a titanium spreader beam.
ba26f129eb50e0b283e891dd9edeb63e.jpg

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Me too
Here's mine with a titanium spreader beam.
ba26f129eb50e0b283e891dd9edeb63e.jpg
that looks a whole bunch like the made in china chain hoist I swapped out. Might want to put a carabiner or nut and bolt on the lift chain when you want it to hold anything with real weight. I had the back end of my expedition come down quite quickly while the chain whipped around at speeds approaching the sound barrier.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm sure the eye bolt into a single rafter is ok, but that's a little close for my comfort. In my old house, I took a scrap piece of 4x4 post into my attic, and spanned it across 4 rafters, screwed in place. I drilled a 1/2" hole thru it and the drywall below and used an extra long 1/2" forged eye bolt thru the ceiling and post. Hung a 1/2t chain hoist from China Freight off of that, and it worked perfectly.
Exactly what I did when I hung steel in my shed to hoist deer/sled/etc.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts