Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
riding this weekend I hit a buried fence post with my right ski and it stopped me dead. After I picked myself up my left front a arm was pushed back. The springs and shock was touching the A Arm brace..... Anyway... after looking further my hood is a 1/4 off on the right side and the gas tank is a off a little..... My question is where to I start looking for bent parts under the hood. Everything on the outside was fine. I did a little pounding back into place and lined the front end back into place. I am just worried about every approach I hit if something is going to break off. Where do I really look at for the damage under the hood or did I just tweek the whole frame.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Look at the tunnel. Look for a little bents or bows. It sounds like you tweaked the tunnel with the tank and hood off ¼ inch. Look for the bend around your Arms also. If you know someone with a Car frame machine ask them for help, they should be able to tweak it good enough.

·
Registered
163 Posts
open the right side panel and look at each frame bar making sure that they are not bent, then if possible lift the sled and do the full body inspection. glad to see your alive and well. also be glad that 25 miles an hour is all you were doing.
just go through it witha fine tooth comb. and keep in mind a 1/4 inch in the front could be 1 inch in the back.. good luck

a buddy of mine stapped the upper arm and we rode 25 miles back on it. then after replacing it then going another 200 miles the lower armed snapped, my guess was because of the stress from the upper being broke.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Take the exhaust out ,its under there ! little suprises for ya!

God how these things bend easy

Rich

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About 20 minutes later I learn how much it was out of wack..... I was side hilling on the left ski climbing doing about 40 in the real soft stuff and all the sudden the sled just went hard right and I went hard left. After I rolled for about 20 yards I decided I needed to do some more fixing before I started getting crazy again. Just some bruises and my ego after all my buddies saw me go flying. I won't live that one down for awhile. I am really dissapointed because I have been dialing this sled in for a year and it finally was feeling like it was perfect for how I ride..... It is better since working on it but not perfect

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
GSX800HO said:
Take the exhaust out ,its under there ! little suprises for ya!

God how these things bend easy

Rich
[snapback]280773[/snapback]​
don't be surprised if you see cracked aluminum supports. I did the same exact thing with my 03 800X and it only had 48 miles on it. I was going roughly 10-15mph and the damage was unbelievable. Take the exhaust off and inspect for cracks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
A buddy of mine hit a buried fence post near Kindred ND yesterday with his F7 too, he just drove over it with no damage, got lucky. I guess we need a little more snow around here , glad to see your OK mad dog. Hope you get her up and running soon

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is where I hit mine was well...... I wonder if it was the same one....... it had been driven over by a car and layed down flat. We were going back with a truck because we could not pull it out by hand. Small world...... I just had put on new project X skis with shaper bars...... I was following tracks so we figured my deeper kneel just pulled it up.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
mad dog said:
riding this weekend I hit a buried fence post with my right ski and it stopped me dead. After I picked myself up my left front a arm was pushed back. The springs and shock was touching the A Arm brace..... Anyway... after looking further my hood is a 1/4 off on the right side and the gas tank is a off a little..... My question is where to I start looking for bent parts under the hood. Everything on the outside was fine. I did a little pounding back into place and lined the front end back into place. I am just worried about every approach I hit if something is going to break off. Where do I really look at for the damage under the hood or did I just tweek the whole frame.
[snapback]280744[/snapback]​
check all your bulk head to tunnel rivets and all the welds on the bulkhead too! sorry for your luck...sh&% happens..but your ok and they make'em every day!!

·
Very Advanced Member
1,355 Posts
I wonder how much setup has to doo with sending the impact through the chassis.

Reason I say this is last year I hit a log about a foot in diameter and 2 feet long burried in the snow (no hunting sign) at around 40 mph. I was face down in the snow before I knew what happened. The hit threw the log 20 feet. I figured the front end was done for. It was a hard enough hit that it broke the headlight mounts. No other dammage though.??? I gave the credit for not screwing up the front end to not having th sway bar in...if that makes any sense. The only reason I could figure.

BS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts