Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rpm seems a lot higher at cruising speed than normal. What might cause this? Warn clutch or belt? Sled is a 05 gsx 800 and just hit 10000km. Engines never been opened up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will Rev up to over 8000 rpm. But on the last ride it was at 7000rpms at times on the trail were I think it would normally run at 5800rpm.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
When is the last time you put a new belt on it? They get skinnier as they wear and that will effect rpm.

Its a good idea to take the clutchs apart also and clean them.

Make sure the arms and rollers are working properly and clean off the face of the ramps.

Clean the surfaces where the belt ride also with acetone too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Belt probably has about 2500 kms on it. Had clutches apart and cleaned last season. Didn't really check for wear tho.i will change the belt first. Then service the primary. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Could be bushings in clutch are worn last serviceable limits and hanging up? I'd prob pull the primary and look inside/ spec things out.
Kurt

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Measured a new belt vs old belt and they were within 1/32. I adjusted the secondary so the ribs on the belt were 1/8" above the clutch and it seems to be back to normal. Bought the clutch rebuild kit already so I'll replace the bushings and rollers when I pull it apart for cleaning

1 - 12 of 12 Posts