Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing I am not riding this week I did some maintenance on my two sleds. One has 15,500 miles and the other 11000 miles.

I upgraded the torsion springs on both as they were sacked and the sleds looked like a low rider without anyone on them.

In addition, I was getting nervous as to the shape that the two large bearings behind the driven clutch were in at that mileage, especially after seeing pictures of one seizing on the shaft causing it to cut the shaft off and cause a pile of damage to both clutches.

That being said, I replaced both bearings with new bearings from the dealer at $25 CDN each. These are Japanese NSK Bearings and I do not know if they have any special grease of if BRP buys enough of them that they set out their own specs but to say the least I am impressed.

I popped off the outer grease seals on both for comparison and although there is 4000 miles difference, there is not that much difference in the amount of grease remaining in either and both could go a long long way.

Bottom line, is that if you are worried about these bearings at lower mileage, I would not be.

P1010502.JPG P1010497.JPG P1010498.JPG View attachment 1273489 P1010500.JPG

Attachments

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
Mine was shot around the 6-7000 mile range. A buddy of mine washed his sled last week and found part of the bearing laying in the belly pan that had the same amount of miles. My clutch side bearing was real dry at 8000 miles and put some grease in their last season to get buy until I got the track changed out this season.

-grover

·
Registered
754 Posts
I always wonder why some parts on one sled will last twice as long as the same part on another , Like one bearing is good still at 15,000 miles another toast at 7000 . If they all failed at the same rate it would be much easier for owners to determine when a part needs changed . Seems with these doo's is a flip of the coin you might get a long lasting part or maybe not . A stator might last 20,000 miles or it might fail a 2000 I want to know how I get the 20,000 mile one :smile_old:

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Don't go over jumps and they last a long time

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was on Mont Valin two weeks ago and heard a loud thumping noise, stopped the sled and found the jackshaft with the secondary just slapping around in the housing, bearings and other debris in the belly pan. I also noticed that there was a strong fuel smell. My buddy towed me a few km to the realis and we called for a repair man! Replaced bearing and repaired fuel neck into tank for fuel leak and back on the trail we went. Spent the night at the Delta and then back to the truck in St. Raymond. Sled is a 11 1200 GSX with 6,144 miles at time of failure. I also had an 09 with over 9k and no problems!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I was on Mont Valin two weeks ago and heard a loud thumping noise, stopped the sled and found the jackshaft with the secondary just slapping around in the housing, bearings and other debris in the belly pan. I also noticed that there was a strong fuel smell. My buddy towed me a few km to the realis and we called for a repair man! Replaced bearing and repaired fuel neck into tank for fuel leak and back on the trail we went. Spent the night at the Delta and then back to the truck in St. Raymond. Sled is a 11 1200 GSX with 6,144 miles at time of failure. I also had an 09 with over 9k and no problems!
Do you jump your sled :laugh_old:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, go figure, crap shoot I guess. Still original everything else but clutch on mine and all idler bearings have been changed. TRA is tired on wife's sled and looking for a PB80 on a deal to replace rather than throw all the parts needed to make it new again. Sheaves are wore so think its time to replace.

We have low amounts of humidity out here and run a lot colder temps than a lot of the country and NE USA but does that have anything to do with the amount of time that a bearing survives? On my Poo sleds 5000 miles was about max for the drive shaft and jack shaft bearings but they were not near as big as these are and I am sure that is why they stand up so well but as we know even brand new stuff fails so now the count down starts again.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
I clean these out and reload these with isoflex every 5000 miles. They last forever if you keep them lubed.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roamer, does that look like Isoflex in them now? It feels like a lithium grease but it doesn't stick to your fingers like some other low temp synthetics and washed off fairly easy but was more like a good hand lotion in texture.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
It's isoflex.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
You guys that are jumping your 1200's will have all sorts of issues, not just bearings. I tell people I see jumping them to stop doing it

Reactions: maxxterminator

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
HAY BRP

can you comment if all the bearings come with isoflex in them? If we repack them, what would be appropriate?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
I changed my jack bearing before the season (if you want to call it that) with 13,200 mi on my 09 XR and it was getting a bit dry but I could have added grease and been fine but had it apart so put a new one on along with chaincase bearings and drive shaft (brake side) bearing. Chaincase bearings were in great shape and the driver shaft bearing was just starting to show a little wear but could have gone a bit further.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Funny how we buy the 4 strokes to avoid "the big one" but there are still lots and lots of things that can stop you.
Once you are north of 10,000 you have to up the maintenance accordingly.
We need a list of parts that have expiration dates!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts