Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 04 renegade with the carbed 600HO last weekend and just got invited last minute to go riding out in Colorado, and we are leaving Friday. Lucky my sled has DPM so I don't have to worry about jetting, however I do not know much about clutching for high elevation. I believe we will be riding over 8,000 feet, so first of all what should I do to the clutching for the high elevation riding, and second if I can't get the parts I need in time is there anything that I should do that I don't need parts for?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
what elevation are you at now? what "clicker is your sled set on? without buying/installing parts about all you can do is adjust clickers up to try for max rpm at your "new"elevation...my experience is if Im running clicker 1 or 2 (Im at aprox 2000ft) at home I end up running clicker 5 at 6-7000 ft...its not the best but Ive taken many a trail sled to 7-9000ft and had a blast...if you are already running 3 or higher on your clickers(again depending on your current elevation) you need at minimum to lower your pin weight or you will never get you rpms up at elevation...just my 3 cents...Hardy

·
Registered
52 Posts
For every 1000ft of elevation you take out .8 grams of pin weight that should get you in the ball park. Then you can do your fine tuning with your clickers when your there. Also I would look into the set ups that dynamo joe has. I run his clutching on my 06 rev 600ho short track at an elevation of 6500ft couple of weeks ago and it ran awesome. Even with the short track with 1 3/8 lug I had no problems in the deep powder. I ran 17 grams of pin weight, stock 410 ramps 250-380 primary, purple secondary with smt2 helix, this is all at 6000ft

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im only at 500ft elevation where I live and my clickers are at 5 right now so that won't get me far. Just tore apart my primary and pulled one of the weights out, I will measure it tomorrow and hopefully the local ski doo dealership will have something close to what I need in stock.

I'm kinda confused as to what happens due to high elevation though, I know the engine loses power due to the thinner air. So does this mean that I am moving engagement higher to where there is more power, or does the loss of power lower the engagement RPM so I am just trying to get it back up to where it should be?

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
100% @ 0000' elevation [150hp]
89% @ 3280' elevation [134hp]
78% @ 6560' elevation [117hp]
60% @ 9850' elevation [90hp]

99)So does this mean that I am moving engagement higher to where there is more power,

Joe) if engagement goes higher it is merely from a change of the primary clutch parts. Still rather have low engagement to be able to launch in pow pow.

99)does the loss of power lower the engagement RPM

Joe)no the elevation does not affect the engagement speed. The primary spring start force affects the engagement speed.

Engagement speed will raise with lowering the pinweight grams and/or taking the primary spring start force and raising it - example; going from a 130/xxx to a 160/xxx will raise the engagement by approximately 200 engine speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I did some more reading and I think I got it now, I was backwards I thought that weights affected engagement RPM, but they affect max RPM at WOT. What is the RPM that I should be shooting for in the mountains?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, I did some more reading and I think I got it now, I was backwards I thought that weights affected engagement RPM, but they affect max RPM at WOT. What is the RPM that I should be shooting for in the mountains?
on my 06 600 ho my rpm maintained 8000 to 8100 on the tach my sled seemed to run great at that rpm at 6000ft

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
same as you get at home at home...I think your 600 ho should be around 8100??? if you spend on adjustable primary (pin) weights then you can "lighten" for the elevation,and put back to stock (or slightly lighter and get down from clicker 5 to give you more adjustment) If you are willing to buy a few parts,would definitly recommend doing the secondary spring as well (the purple stock doo spring Joey recommended)...you probably will leave that 1 in even after you are home...Hardy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts