Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,754 Posts
BLR, I used a kit from SharpHID with the slim ballasts and I found it to be pretty good so far. My suggestion would be to buy a second set of HID bulbs when you buy the kit so that you have a good matched pair right now. I have not blown a bulb yet, but I can be hard on equipment and wonder sometimes.

CainsGuest has installed these in his Expeditions, he would have tips for power/grounding and ballast location, but generally I'm pretty sure that he mounted everything behind the head lamps.

·
Cains Guest
1,642 Posts
BLR, I used a kit from SharpHID with the slim ballasts and I found it to be pretty good so far. My suggestion would be to buy a second set of HID bulbs when you buy the kit so that you have a good matched pair right now. I have not blown a bulb yet, but I can be hard on equipment and wonder sometimes.

CainsGuest has installed these in his Expeditions, he would have tips for power/grounding and ballast location, but generally I'm pretty sure that he mounted everything behind the head lamps.
LB I lost speedo sensor leaving Kujjuauq. The Ballasts are located behind headlights. I'm not sure the power suppy is (clean) enough for trouble free use.

·
7,754 Posts
LB I lost speedo sensor leaving Kujjuauq. The Ballasts are located behind headlights. I'm not sure the power suppy is (clean) enough for trouble free use.
Here's what I did... using an add-a-fuse block, I tapped into the lighting circuit and installed a 20A fuse if I recall correctly. The lighting circuit isn't used for anything once you convert to HID's anyway, so what better place to pick up a +ve source. I then ran a wire back to the -ve terminal on the battery and used that as a reliable ground. I would have used the one on the starter, but the #$%^& is tucked in under the hot rear cylinder and exhaust header, so I decided against that.

Links for reference:

Mini add-a-fuse

Regular add-a-fuse

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='LabradorBoy' timestamp='1314063313' post='3445860']
Here's what I did... using an add-a-fuse block, I tapped into the lighting circuit and installed a 20A fuse if I recall correctly. The lighting circuit isn't used for anything once you convert to HID's anyway, so what better place to pick up a +ve source. I then ran a wire back to the -ve terminal on the battery and used that as a reliable ground. I would have used the one on the starter, but the #$%^& is tucked in under the hot rear cylinder and exhaust header, so I decided against that.

Well I'm back home and am anxiously awaiting the best time of the year. Thoughts now swing back and forth from Geese to the WT. Your installation seems easy enough and I like easy. Do you guys recall who had the trail tech (at least I think they were trail tech's) HID's mounted inside the windshield with the 2 holes cut through? In addition to carrying extra bulbs this winter, I'm debating having additional backup lighting. Like you LB, I tend to be rough on gear and the more backup I have the better. I've even debated "borrowing" the small set of light force lights from my truck and putting in an HID kit(overkill I know)....but I'd just end up breaking them first trip out.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
LB I lost speedo sensor leaving Kujjuauq. .
Not to go off topic but Kujjuauq? Flew into there about 15 years ago for caribou hunt on the Leaf River. Was actually producing a television show with Ted Nugent at the time.

That be in the middle of utterly nowhere!

Very, very cool place though!!

Tim

·
7,754 Posts
Not to go off topic but Kujjuauq? Flew into there about 15 years ago for caribou hunt on the Leaf River. Was actually producing a television show with Ted Nugent at the time.

That be in the middle of utterly nowhere!

Very, very cool place though!!

Tim
Cain's Quest bud... helluva time

·
7,754 Posts
Well I'm back home and am anxiously awaiting the best time of the year. Thoughts now swing back and forth from Geese to the WT. Your installation seems easy enough and I like easy. Do you guys recall who had the trail tech (at least I think they were trail tech's) HID's mounted inside the windshield with the 2 holes cut through? In addition to carrying extra bulbs this winter, I'm debating having additional backup lighting. Like you LB, I tend to be rough on gear and the more backup I have the better. I've even debated "borrowing" the small set of light force lights from my truck and putting in an HID kit(overkill I know)....but I'd just end up breaking them first trip out.
Did you see the LED backup lights that I installed? I did a thread on it a little while ago...

·
7,754 Posts
Do you guys recall who had the trail tech (at least I think they were trail tech's) HID's mounted inside the windshield with the 2 holes cut through?
Pretty sure this was Team 22 and they started doing that in 2008 with their first Rev-XP entry. They have kept doing that ever since. I thought they were PIAA projectors, I'll try to find some pics to help recall how they did it.

Here's a rough idea:

2009 Team Maine Add'l Lights

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the lights I was considering as "backup" mounted on the machine in case my main HID's crap out. Can't figure out how to mount them on my fur hat though. I'll definately have to upgrade the old wolf skin to something a little tougher this year I guess (except when I'm huntin!!).

I recall your post on the LED's. Might have a look at that too and maybe do all the electrical at the same time.

http://trailtech.net/helmet_lights.html

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a look at the Sharp HID's and was impressed (price is not outrageous). Anyone know offhand the bulb type in the 2012 WT 600 etec? If I go HID, would the original power supply be able to power the HID's, additional HID's (ie Trail tech), a Garmin 276 and an electric visor? (probably not) I'm just thinking that if I can power everything from the one source it would help my technically unsophisticated brain install and troubleshoot. Thoughts?

·
7,754 Posts
I had a look at the Sharp HID's and was impressed (price is not outrageous). Anyone know offhand the bulb type in the 2012 WT 600 etec? If I go HID, would the original power supply be able to power the HID's, additional HID's (ie Trail tech), a Garmin 276 and an electric visor? (probably not) I'm just thinking that if I can power everything from the one source it would help my technically unsophisticated brain install and troubleshoot. Thoughts?
They're H4's if I'm not mistaken. If I recall correctly, the Sharp HID's have a 20A fuse and the stock headlamp circuit uses a 30A fuse... I had better check my figures first though. You should be able to run the HID's and some additional lighting off the original circuit, but use the 12V power port to supply juice to the 276 and electric visor. Does the Skandic WT 600 etec have the additional 12V power port under the rear seat like the Expy's? I need to swing by and crawl around George's machine a bit to refresh my memory, or do I just need a new sled to have a better frame of reference?

Can't do that yet, SWT is still too new.

·
Cains Guest
1,642 Posts
They're H4's if I'm not mistaken. If I recall correctly, the Sharp HID's have a 20A fuse and the stock headlamp circuit uses a 30A fuse... I had better check my figures first though. You should be able to run the HID's and some additional lighting off the original circuit, but use the 12V power port to supply juice to the 276 and electric visor. Does the Skandic WT 600 etec have the additional 12V power port under the rear seat like the Expy's? I need to swing by and crawl around George's machine a bit to refresh my memory, or do I just need a new sled to have a better frame of reference?

Forgive my ignorance but if memory serves me the miss's 600 etec would not power the 276 off the 12 volt port untill 2k RPM. Consider the battery for your GPS. Again I did not have much to do with the etec.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgive my ignorance but if memory serves me the miss's 600 etec would not power the 276 off the 12 volt port untill 2k RPM. Consider the battery for your GPS. Again I did not have much to do with the etec.
I think it's even higher at 3000 rpm. There's a thread on that topic here somewhere with a couple of fixes. It's a real pain in the derriere having the GPS want to power down every time you stop. I'm thinking my original headlight power supply will run all of the new lights as LB suggested. I'll probably just wire the GPS and visor up to the battery with a lighted toggle (as suggested in the other thread)so I know if it's left on. That frees up the 12v outlet in case I need it and also overcomes the rpm issue.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'm thinking my seat will look nothing like the original, so if there's a 12v under there I'm either gonna lose it or have to rethink my setup. I gotta go see George too. It's time for me to start ordering some of this stuff so the banker doesn't notice it too much!! I'll spread it out over the next few months!!

·
7,754 Posts
I'm thinking my seat will look nothing like the original, so if there's a 12v under there I'm either gonna lose it or have to rethink my setup. I gotta go see George too. It's time for me to start ordering some of this stuff so the banker doesn't notice it too much!! I'll spread it out over the next few months!!
LOL you too eh? I think I have to pick up a Bravo or something over the next few months to keep momma and papoose occupied (i.e. distracted) once the snow flies...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL you too eh? I think I have to pick up a Bravo or something over the next few months to keep momma and papoose occupied (i.e. distracted) once the snow flies...
I'm probably gonna be looking for a Bravo myself this year too(That or a Tundra). The young fellow got so sick of the Mini Z that we sold it(Little girl just was not interested). I just wouldn't spend the money to squeeze out a few more MPH. I'm probably gonna look for a Trapper b/c everyone has room for a LT Bravo!! That leaves the old EXPY 550 for the missus and little girl. I'll finish the suspension rebuild on the VK in a couple of weeks so that will be out of the way(sold) too.

I figure that when he finally masters the fine art of throwing his weight around, the Bravo(or Tundra) should be more than capable of following the WT. That means more seat time for me!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts