Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body play with the heated carbs. Does it make any difference to gas mileage if they are on or off. How about performance, anyone notice a difference?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the heated Carbs. are to be in the off position unless it is almost zero degrees. Then open the valve to heat the carbs. I do not think that this affects mileage very much. I will keep an eye on this question to see if anyone else has any experience with this issue.

·
734 Power
2,600 Posts
heated carbs just keep your carbs working smoothly and ice free in really cold temps, they come on all models, non dpm and dpm

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I work for a dealership and we must tell our customers what the manufacture recommends, and that is below 40degrees, but my own experience,I tell everyone shut them off until you need them, then once the low speed circuit clears up shut them off again, we get people complaining every year about hard to start when they are warm and poor fuel mileage, carb heaters are responsible for both. the anti freeze gets hot enough to boil the fuel in the carbs making them flood, heaters were a good idea if used properly, once the underhood temps come up you don't need them anymore. if it's real cold outside shut some of your hood vents.

·
Registered
887 Posts
We went for a ride on a day that it was probably 35 deg or so and stopped to take a break and when we went to leave my brothers and my revs wouldn't start. Fiddled around for a while and found we both had our carb heat on, shut em off, and let it sit and they both fired back up!! Only thing I can figure is the fuel vapor locked or something???? Now we leave the carb heat off till about 0 deg. Have had no more problems with it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
"If it's real cold outside shut some of your hood vents." ???????????
Ghostrider: Rev's don't come with hood vents! Just screens, (are you sure you work for a S/D dealer?)

My 2 cents: I leave my carb heaters on as long as their is snow on the ground and yes sometimes It doesn't like to start when it is still warm.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I rode last weekend in -20 F temp NOT wind chill. Never bothered to turn on heat to carbs - ran great (just wish I could get it over 100mph)

·
Registered
3 Posts
i keep my heated carbs shut off about 90% of the time. i only turn them on if it's below 10 degrees F. you will burn about 3 gallon of fuel a day that you don't have to, nevermind the performance side of it. i have had mine turned on twice in 1200 miles.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
not sure why the manual says to turn the ON from 40F and below...

but at 32 and above it makes my sled (800X) hard to start, after you turn them of your back to normal???

I guess if it gets to 10 F or lower again I will turn them on...

I use drygas so I should have no water to freeze... so why do I need them??

I used to have the same problems on my Viper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have over 1300 miles on and have ridden in 10 below weather and haven't used the carb heaters yet. In fact in the coldest weather is when I get the best fuel economy. I think if you start to have a problem and its really cold out turn on the carb heaters for a little while then turn them off again once the problems clear up. Keep in mind they are a tool for you to use if needed. Just my 2 c worth.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have been messing around with the carb heaters just to see whats what and haven't noticed any difference on either setting. I have never rode it in temps below 0 though.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
I NEVER open the valve, and never froze a carb. Why would you want to heat your fuel if you dont need to? The internal combustion engine has been around for how long? And now all of a sudden we have to warm our carburators? Ive got 2200 miles on this yr most all of them very cold and very snowy in fact 1000 miles were in snowy -5 to -20f temperatures and the sled never showed any symptoms of carb icing. I agree there are instances and conditions that may warrant turning them on to make your ride experience more enjoyable but from what I can see unless youre plowing thru deep snow in cold cold temps they're nothing but a horsepower robbing device.

·
Registered
742 Posts
TT670 said:
I NEVER open the valve, and never froze a carb. Why would you want to heat your fuel if you dont need to? The internal combustion engine has been around for how long? And now all of a sudden we have to warm our carburators?
Exactly the reason why I will never turn on the carb heater on my machine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts