Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I love the forum, old Doos and looking for some advice. I have three Cheyenne 503s and I have to choose one to be my main sled, and I'll be selling one. They're all basically the same, but the main difference is the '91 has an updated gearbox and some weird extra brake lever thing that pulls both the brake as well as something in the chaincase. It seems the extra lever releases the sled from gear when it's in reverse (see pics).

This '91 has no "park" option, only forward and reverse. And I've never come across another sled with this weird lever. It looks like Ski-Doo rushed and added it as an afterthought since the install job looks pretty homemade. Anyone ever see this before? And most importantly, is the '91 gearbox better or worse than the older version? Should I use the '88 and keep the '89 for parts (has no ownership) since they have the same older gearbox, or is the '91 a better machine?

It's been months and I still can't decide lol!

Thanks in advance!

Bottom circled in red is the pin that's pulled by the extra lever

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel Vehicle

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Wood Fender

Hood Motor vehicle Guitar accessory Yellow Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Nice, although not a Doo! LOL, even I had a weak moment and bought a Phazer last year. I would have been nervous as far as that gearbox, just if you ever needed parts I think it would have been tough. I would have sold that one I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, although not a Doo! LOL, even I had a weak moment and bought a Phazer last year. I would have been nervous as far as that gearbox, just if you ever needed parts I think it would have been tough. I would have sold that one I think.
Haha, yeah, I know the VK is a little sacrelegious around here. But congrats on the Phazer, they're fun machines!

I was sad to see the old Cheyennes go, they were really great machines to me, but ultimately my reason for selling was to get something a little faster and more comfortable to extend my travel range for fishing. However at 650 lbs, if I sink the VK it's gonna be a long walk home! Time will tell if I made the right decision lol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That cable and extra brake lever are to ensure the brakes are applied before shifting the transmission. It's a pin that prevents shifting until the brake is applied. You can simply remove the cable and put a bolt with some teflon tape in the hole. I've done it a couple times before. I guess you're not too concerned about it seeing as you sold the sleds. Congrats on the new VK!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts