Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Professional Spark Plug Gapper
15,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im asking this about my dads sled, which is an 01 Polaris 600 Classic Touring.
electric start, carbed, choke setup.

The sled starts fine, but is rough idling. Getting the motor revved up to engage the clutch is rough and choppy, but once the rpm's are up, it runs great. Incredible IMO for a heavy touring sled. He (230lb) jumped further off a pond on this sled than i did on my mxz, but thats another story.

I don't know much about the Polaris specifics, but this sounds more like a general problem than something polaris specific. Is it dirty carbs? Un-synchronized carbs? Too low idle setting? Bad coil? Voltage regulator? All of the above? Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,495 Posts
I'd start by cleaning the carbs.

·
Professional Spark Plug Gapper
15,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i have an update to the situation...

we went to move the sled today, as we have no snow to ride on we were going to put it away, and it didn't want to stay idling when cold. he would have to play with the throttle and choke to keep it running. he got it to take off and go, but it backfired pretty bad, i think it backfired everytime he let off the gas. after the sled warmed up it would idle rough as usual and it only backfired once in a while. what would cause this????? i haven't cleaned the carbs yet as this is the first time we've moved the sled in a couple months. this seems like more than a dirty carb issue to me. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

my doo runs flawless tho
may have to leave him in the garage if snow flies

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
03adrenalineHO said:
ok, i have an update to the situation...

we went to move the sled today, as we have no snow to ride on we were going to put it away, and it didn't want to stay idling when cold. he would have to play with the throttle and choke to keep it running. he got it to take off and go, but it backfired pretty bad, i think it backfired everytime he let off the gas. after the sled warmed up it would idle rough as usual and it only backfired once in a while. what would cause this????? i haven't cleaned the carbs yet as this is the first time we've moved the sled in a couple months. this seems like more than a dirty carb issue to me. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

my doo runs flawless tho
may have to leave him in the garage if snow flies

[snapback]724220[/snapback]​
sounds like a plugged pilot jet to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts