Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a 16" x 1.75" Ski-doo track on my 2004 Rev Renegade which came stock with the 1.25" track. The "fingers" on the track are catching on the tunnel protectors at the front of the tunnel which I notice are deeper than the ones that run the length of the tunnel. Did these have to be removed or changed? I know this track was an upgrade on the renegade, so why am I having this clearance issue? I am begging for help or advice as I am leaving for the mountains in less than 48 hours! Thanks

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
If your track isn't notched then it may hit. Go to a good hardware or farm store and buy some "ferrier" nippers. About 45 minutes you can notch your own track. The nippers will cut the rubber like butter. Most Arctic Cat and Polaris tracks are notched for the tunnel cooler protectors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice, but what I don't get is that it is a ski-doo take-off track I got from a Ski-doo dealer. I know notching the track will work, but I am sure this isn't what they do when you order a renegade with a 1.75" track. What is the difference if I am installing it myself? Thanks again.

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
imhoffa said:
Thanks for your advice, but what I don't get is that it is a ski-doo take-off track I got from a Ski-doo dealer. I know notching the track will work, but I am sure this isn't what they do when you order a renegade with a 1.75" track. What is the difference if I am installing it myself? Thanks again.
[snapback]707959[/snapback]​
Do you have a pic of these tunnel protectors? I don't have anything on mine but a front heat exchanger! Also I'm not positive but I believe the 1.75" track option in 2004 used 9 tooth drivers instead of the 10 tooth that you have. I know I just have enough clearance with my 1.75" stock 121" Rev and it has 9 tooth drivers (stock on '03's).

Cheers,

G MAN

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tunnel protectors at the front of the tunnel look to be about 1/2 to 3/4" deep. (They are deeper than the ones that run the length of the tunnel) After some more searching, it seems that some people talk about removing them and that they are there for stud protection. I would rather remove them than notch my track. Is this safe and do I just drill out the rivets to remove them?

·
Registered
453 Posts
That is odd, I've installed a 16 X 1.75 on my 04 gade with 10 tooth drivers, the previous owner has 15 X 1.25 (stock). No problems with heat exchangers hitting...

·
Registered
20 Posts
imhoffa said:
I just put on a 16" x 1.75" Ski-doo track on my 2004 Rev Renegade which came stock with the 1.25" track. The "fingers" on the track are catching on the tunnel protectors at the front of the tunnel which I notice are deeper than the ones that run the length of the tunnel. Did these have to be removed or changed? I know this track was an upgrade on the renegade, so why am I having this clearance issue? I am begging for help or advice as I am leaving for the mountains in less than 48 hours! Thanks
[snapback]707928[/snapback]​
I just did a 1.75 on a GSX and a MXZX nothing toching the track. We upgraded From 1" Lug. No tunnel protectors in the way either. If your not studded what do you need tunnel protectors for anyways? Take them out!

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
Be carefull drilling out the rivets...one of them is real close to the fuel pump.

I thought you already had the track on so notching would be easier than removing the skid, chaincase and drivers to get to the front heat exchanger protectors so you can remove them.

If everything is out...then just remove them...that simple.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know if you ordered the 1.75" track as an option, did the sled have any tunnel protectors at the front of the tunnel from the factory? I found a dealer that told me that the diagrams from Ski-doo show these tunnel protectors as parts on the 1.25" tracked model only.

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
imhoffa said:
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know if you ordered the 1.75" track as an option, did the sled have any tunnel protectors at the front of the tunnel from the factory? I found a dealer that told me that the diagrams from Ski-doo show these tunnel protectors as parts on the 1.25" tracked model only.
[snapback]708612[/snapback]​
My '03 was a factory 1.75" and it did NOT have tunnel protectors.

Cheers,

G MAN

1 - 14 of 14 Posts