Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my new Legend only 700 original miles on her ridden by an older friend of the family.. well taken care of machine.. no updates done to it.. runs like a dream.. I was an Arctic cat guy before .. Skidoo all the way now.. The only problems Im having is really bad gas milage... guage is reading half tank after 40 km.. and only getting about 140km to a tank.. friends say I should be getting about 200km or 128 miles to a tank..?? maybe choke is sticking?? but runs good..?? machine smokes a bit when I honk it....??? where do I check the choke adjustment and how do i tell if its in the right position..? ahhhhhhhh

also it is very choppy ski stear.. its hard to keep straight..? should I loosen the front ski pressure..?? or tighten the front straps..? center shock..?

Need some help here guys.. we have just gotten about 2 feet of snow and have another foot on the way... wana tear up some trails......
did first open water with my Legend ..was like riding a seadoo .... never did it on my cat .. they hate water .....

any suggestions would be great ..asap.. snow snow...

Attachments

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
if its the NON DPM version which is the sport I think, then thats about the gas mileage you will get. If its the GS version with DPM you should get around 180 km on a regular basis, 200km if you are just cruising and no WOT runs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the legend is the Rave style.. and has every option.. I dont know why its getting such crapy gas milage... the carb heaters are off and it is minus 5 celceous.. or 20 ferinheit....

any suggestions..?

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
I know for the 800 legend in 02 there was a upgrade kit for the carb. I had a Legend SE 800 and first couple times out I was getting 120-140km after the upgrade from the dealer I was getting 180 or so

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tip.. I ll call the dealer and see what updates there are for this machine. since there havent been any done to it since new...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the carb update was done, says the dealer... so no other updates..??? gas milage is really sh&%ty.....

any other suggestions..?

sled was tuned by a good mechanic... runs fine just crappy gas milage..?

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the sled has DPM make sure that the line going to the air box is hooked up, also the sensor in the airbox is plugged in. If it doesn't there will still be a line from a tee to the carburetors that should be hooked to an elbow on the side of the airbox. Make sure that all lines are where they are supposed to be. This can cause really bad fuel mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just went for a good ride.. 140km and still had 12 liters in the tank.. guess it will go about 180km medium throttle... thanks for the input..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thats the way the gas guage works on that sled, when it starts to read empty there is still a lot of gas left, just syphon your tank out when it says empty and you will see just how much gas you have left.

Another way to check is to run it right out of gas and see how many miles you have at that point.

My gauge is the same way some times I feel like Kramer driving on empty.

700GSE said:
That's spot-on 125 miles/tank.

P
[snapback]704802[/snapback]​

·
Registered
831 Posts
No kidding - I think there's about 12 - 15 liters left when it shows empty. When it shows half (horizontal needle) I've typically gone 80 - 85kms, used about 15 - 17 liters. Funny thing is, it coincides with my buddies XLT 600, but with his gauge, it really means he's empty.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Also - if you really wanna maximize your per-tank distance, fill up the night before, let the fuel come to ambiant temp, then top up in the morning after warm up. You'll get about another 10% out of a tank!

P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts