Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Learning
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2002 mach z. and they dont have the title or registration which in michigan you have to have registration to get the sticker thing.

the sled isnt in this guys name. its in the guy before him name. i am going to do a vid number check. but im pretty confident this isnt stolen.

but what do i do? i would like to figure this out before i buy the sled.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am buying a 2002 mach z. and they dont have the title or registration which in michigan you have to have registration to get the sticker thing.

the sled isnt in this guys name. its in the guy before him name. i am going to do a vid number check. but im pretty confident this isnt stolen.

but what do i do? i would like to figure this out before i buy the sled.
I would contact your states DNR and explain your situation. Rules and regulations change all the time. You would be taking a risk if you made the purchase based on second hand information you got on this or any other forum.

·
Registered
279 Posts
First thing I would do is contact the state police and see if its stolen. If not then contact the DOT and see who the previous owner is and contact him for a replacement ownership.

·
Registered
934 Posts
First thing I would do is contact the state police and see if its stolen. If not then contact the DOT and see who the previous owner is and contact him for a replacement ownership.
In the state of WI the sleds are registered thru the DNR because they operate primarily off public road ways. I can run the VIN and they can tell me the last resistered owner is or was. I did this when I purchased and registered a sled that was part of a dealers rental fleet. When I gave the DNR the VIN they informed me that it was still listed under the dealers name and the registration had not been transferred yet. I guess what I am suggesting is try your DNR.

·
Learning
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the state of WI the sleds are registered thru the DNR because they operate primarily off public road ways. I can run the VIN and they can tell me the last resistered owner is or was. I did this when I purchased and registered a sled that was part of a dealers rental fleet. When I gave the DNR the VIN they informed me that it was still listed under the dealers name and the registration had not been transferred yet. I guess what I am suggesting is try your DNR.
Well the previous owners in prison? So what can I do about that?

·
I'm Dooing It
3,966 Posts
This information along with your first post would be enough for my decision.....might be a sweet deal but I'd walk/run away!

A guy has enough crap to deal with without taking on anyone else's......

·
Registered
934 Posts
It sounds like a mess, however I would still contact your DNR offices. They will probably tell you who to contact to verify that the sled is not listed as stolen. Then lay out the steps that would have to be taken to get the sled registered in your state. This can't be that uncommon. Sleds only ridden on private property, sleds traded or handed down with lack of previous registration, etc... . I think they will point you in the right direction.

·
Grand PuPa!
678 Posts
Tell the person you are buying it from to get the registration for it or he cannot have your money. It was apparently never transferred so the guy in prison is still legally the owner.
X2!!

If you have to have the registration to make things legal. THe seller should have the paperwork for you.
I would not buy the sled no mater how good the deal with out it being legal! After all, if you do not have
the right paperwork, how are you going to register it? And if it it stolen, and you you have it. I have heard
that possession is 9 tenths of the law.....................

THen you might get a set of pretty chrome bracelets (that are hooked togather LOL).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would be running the other way. If its not documented you could have spent money and never own the sled.
The background looks shaky so show me the title.
I sold a bunch of parts to a race team that team ended up in jail. A very well known large team owner ended up at my door asking for a bill of sail for the parts I sold the first team. I said I did not sell them to you so the other boys won't be hard to find go get a bill of sail from them.

·
Learning
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
X2!!

If you have to have the registration to make things legal. THe seller should have the paperwork for you.
I would not buy the sled no mater how good the deal with out it being legal! After all, if you do not have
the right paperwork, how are you going to register it? And if it it stolen, and you you have it. I have heard
that possession is 9 tenths of the law.....................

THen you might get a set of pretty chrome bracelets (that are hooked togather LOL).

well im going to check the VID number to make sure it wasnt stolen. so if the snowmobile is not stole do i contact dnr or secretary of state to see who owns the sled? (i did not buy the sled yet)

·
XPert ss builder
7,272 Posts
Not sure on the laws for MI but in WI we just bought a sled in a similar situation, as long as the previous owner has proof of purchase your OK, We just wrote up a Bill Of Sale and had the previous owner sign it and was able to register the sled with just that.1999 Formula Z 500 4K miles for $750

·
Registered
288 Posts
Talk to some one at the Secretary of States office about how to go about this if you find that it is not stolen. I went through something similar except the guy wasn't in prison, and all I had to do is get a bill-of-sale.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Yep, I have purchased and registered a sled in Michigan with just a bill of sale. Contact your local secretary of state here in Michigan and confirm they will still do that. Make the transaction in front of the secretary of state. Don't pay until you can register it. They can confirm on the spot if the sled was stolen or not.

·
Learning
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. I k if u have a bill of sale u can file for a lost title with it. But I'm going to call secretary of state once I get the vid.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Here in Minnesota we have to have a bill of sale from the person who it is currently registured in. Even if the registured owner offered a bill of sale to the current seller and that seller offers you a bill of sale, you are jumping title. You have to have a bill of sale from the person who it is registured in. Otherwise if the current seller has a bill of sale, have them registure it in their name, then you can buy it from them. Atleast thats how it works in Minnesota.

·
Learning
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I have purchased and registered a sled in Michigan with just a bill of sale. Contact your local secretary of state here in Michigan and confirm they will still do that. Make the transaction in front of the secretary of state. Don't pay until you can register it. They can confirm on the spot if the sled was stolen or not.
even if the guy your buying it from currently doesn't have the sled in his name?

·
Registered
584 Posts
This one sounds like a tricky one, if i were you i would RUN REAL FAST from this one, there are alot of other deals out there on good clean sleds . some times it is better to wait for the right deal and do your checking of it for the proper paperwork . all you need is having the cops pounding on the door and asking questions.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts