Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to pulling apart a 71 elan parts sled. I'm wondering if someone can help me with a couple things here. First off, what is going on with this bearing cup and driver. I have not seen a setup like this before.

Second, can anyone que me in on this style track. Its hard plastic, fits together in sections. Fast Track? Have not seen this before.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I can’t help you with the track as I’ve never seen one of those before.....but the drivers are identical to my 69 Olympic. Replace the front drivers with hard plastic and the rears to rubber. The drive shaft is hollow and that's how the bearing opposite to the chain case gets its oil.
Goose reproduction skidoo parts has what you need.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t help you with the track as I’ve never seen one of those before.....but the drivers are identical to my 69 Olympic. Replace the front drivers with hard plastic and the rears to rubber. The drive shaft is hollow and that's how the bearing opposite to the chain case gets its oil.
Goose reproduction skidoo parts has what you need.
The bearing cup on your 12/3 has that nipple and the wire sticking out of the driver? That's what I was referencing. On all my elan's they don't have the wire insert into the axle. I'm not familiar with the 12/3 though.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The bearing cup is fitted with an angle drive for a speedometer cable to attach to. The wire sticking out of the end of the axle is called a "Key". The wire drives the angle drive, which turns the speedometer cable. Does that parts sled have a speedometer?

Reactions: tnts4me and 12/3

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bearing cup is fitted with an angle drive for a speedometer cable to attach to. The wire sticking out of the end of the axle is called a "Key". The wire drives the angle drive, which turns the speedometer cable. Does that parts sled have a speedometer?
Okay this makes sense. Parts sled had an unknown life, no speedometer or speedometer cable now. It threw me, was not expecting it and have not run across it before although if I remember right some elan's had speedometers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How many sections are in the track?
It doesn't look like the classic plastic fast track (as the didn't make any specifically for doo) but it might be something referred to as a "split track" made by many different companies which was a replacement track made so that you could just cut the old one off, slide the new one in and put the pin(s) in to secure it all without taking out the bogies or drivers, this could be done in about ten minutes with a good saw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many sections are in the track?
It doesn't look like the classic plastic fast track (as the didn't make any specifically for doo) but it might be something referred to as a "split track" made by many different companies which was a replacement track made so that you could just cut the old one off, slide the new one in and put the pin(s) in to secure it all without taking out the bogies or drivers, this could be done in about ten minutes with a good saw.
Here is a better picture of it after I hosed it down. Looks like it has metal pins that go the length of the track can these be replaced? how does a track like this compare on snow?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
^^^^ Exactly

I had a 71 Elan

They came from the factory without speedometer, but you could get the optional accessory speedometer that fit into the pods. I did this to my Elan and also added a tach which went into a pod. You had to install a different bearing cup and also the key to run the speedo.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is a better picture of it after I hosed it down. Looks like it has metal pins that go the length of the track can these be replaced? how does a track like this compare on snow? View attachment 1973097 View attachment 1973098
They do fine on snow and are mostly the same as an original track but their downfall is ice, I used to have an old Viking sled with the plastic track and any sign of ice would just let the track spin like it was In the air with no traction so any snow covered road or trail would have the rider walking beside the sled to get it moving.
To take the pins out you need a long thin piece of round stock and a hammer or the speciality slide hammer tool that was recommended (impossible to find) both need a lot of penetrating oil and time to get them out .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
They do fine on snow and are mostly the same as an original track but their downfall is ice, I used to have an old Viking sled with the plastic track and any sign of ice would just let the track spin like it was In the air with no traction so any snow covered road or trail would have the rider walking beside the sled to get it moving.

To take the pins out you need a long thin piece of round stock and a hammer or the speciality slide hammer tool that was recommended (impossible to find) both need a lot of penetrating oil and time to get them out .

This was from last night. Sprayed the pins let them sit for 30min and used a punch to get the pins started and vice grips to pull them out. I think I'll take it to camp as an emergency option. It takes up no space when taken apart.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I can honestly say the I’ve never seen a track like that before. I’m guessing that it would be a noisy track but compared to the rumble of the old sleds it probably wasn’t an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts