Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have been riding for many years and consider myself to be on the edge of extreme I do over 6000kms per year here in Ontario most of it on trail. Time for a change I would like to book a trip for some extreme Mountain Riding. Any resorts, buddies, or personal recommendations. it can be Montana Colorado, BC or Alberta as I plan to fly in and rent sleds for the trip as my shorties will not cut it.

Please help me with do's and don't s and place to go or placed to avoid. Also what should I expect to pay for a week of riding accommodation etc.

Any of you that want to simply put me up and then take a week off and lend me your husbands sleds I am open to that too :)

Looking forward to your responses!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Ukranian Mafia
5,539 Posts
I have been riding for many years and consider myself to be on the edge of extreme I do over 6000kms per year here in Ontario most of it on trail. Time for a change I would like to book a trip for some extreme Mountain Riding. Any resorts, buddies, or personal recommendations. it can be Montana Colorado, BC or Alberta as I plan to fly in and rent sleds for the trip as my shorties will not cut it.

Please help me with do's and don't s and place to go or placed to avoid. Also what should I expect to pay for a week of riding accommodation etc.

Any of you that want to simply put me up and then take a week off and lend me your husbands sleds I am open to that too :)

Looking forward to your responses!
By flying in you somewhat limit yourself. If you would like to go into BC< you're likely going to have to rent a car to get where your going.

Revy is the mecca in BC and probably has the most rental options and in my mind, the best trail system/easiest to get around for people who are unfamiliar. Most renters out there are looking for $300+ per day for an 800 and I'm not sure if that includes your avy gear.
To get to Revy you would either have to fly into Calgary and drive the 4 hours out or you could get into Kamloops and be in Revy in 2.5 hours or so. There are alot of nice areas in BC, but not easy to get to considering you are flying and needing to rent. Cooke City in the US is a nice choice, but tough to get to. Both areas are pretty dependent on winter conditions...but on average are pretty safe.

Here's a great site to study up on your Avy skills - www.zacstracks.ca

One thing that hard to get around for us guys in the flats...a 50-60 mile powder day is as taxing as a good 250 mile trail ride...you don't do many miles out there, and the gas gauge goes alot quicker. Revy isn't bad for altitude, but Cooke City and some other places..especially coming from close to Sea Level, you're be able to tell quickly where your lungs are located!

Weather isn't nearly as cold as you may get out East. Temps rarely get much cooler than -10 C. I dress considerably lighter out West than do here in Sask.
Have fun and bring a good camera

·
Always wrenching on something&#33;
2,905 Posts
i would recommend revelstoke, it is a prime snowmobiling destination, probably in all of canada??? and you got sled renters out there, albertas mountains are i think like banff, but i'd say you should shoot for revelstoke, of course dont come right now ha ha, snows melting and stuff no fun,

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Come on out to Revelstoke, i'ed be more then happy to guide you and your group.
If your looking for the ultimate mountian experience, look no futher. Revelstoke is the best and most extreme you'll find on the continent....GARANTEED.
I also garantee you it will be more then you can handle. We get some of the deepest snow in america, average 30+ft annual, great weather and mild temps. Plus EXTREMELY BIG mountians. Ya they do intimidate most all inexperienced riders, inclueding the most experienced flatlanders.
Hope your not scared of hieght's, cause there is nothing flat around here.

PS. if the ultimate mountian experience is not for you, then my suggestion is go else where.

·
On the prowl for POW
1,254 Posts
I would also remind you to make sure you are in the best shape/conditiniong of your life. There's nothing worse than being able to access all of the Heaven Revy has to offer and the body is worn out on the trail ride up.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The only problem with Revy is when it is socked in with weather, it sucks. Especially for someone who has never ridden in the mountains. You want to see the scenery. Sure there is good riding to be had through the trees, but without a good guide you will be lucky to see anything other than dense overcast foggy snow. But this could be a once in a lifetime trip, make it worth your while.

There have been many days you get up to Alberta hill hoping to break out above the clouds and you can't even find your way around Alberta hill.

So if you are going to plan a trip, don't limit yourself to 3-4 days. Make it a week for sure. Don't go too early in the season either. Deffinetly NewYears is a busy weekend in Revy, but the better snow comes after that. Mid Jan to mid April are your prime dates. Expect to pay a little more then.

I have heard of that Habanero Lodge before. I know of some of the guys listed on their webpage as well. All good people. You are right in the middle of the best sledding available there, but will have a tough time flying into any airport there. Your best is likely Kelowna. So regardless of where you go, plan on having some sort of shuttle system available, or renting a vehicle.

I wouldn't be discouraged from picking Colorado either. I know of a few guys who went down to ChrisBurandt's place this past winter and loved it. They took their own sleds but he has rentals (unfortunatley they are Poo's) so take it for what its worth but they said the accomodations were great and the riding was awesome. I am not saying that is the place you should go, but there are options out there that are of the full service variety.

Above all, having a guide is hands down the best money you can spend. Someone who knows the terrain, who knows safer areas to ride and can find their way around when the visability is low. Way too many people venture into areas they shouldn't be in, or simply don't have the talent to ride out of the places they find, darkness comes quick in the mountains during winter.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
if i had the coin id be lookin up chris burandts tours, pimped out sleds, and getn to ride/ meet chris, thatd be sweet, but there are some definately good ideas mentioned prior!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts