Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
The last few times I took out the Everest at around mid throttle it was making a popping sound, almost like a misfire and it felt like it was kinda low on power. The popping would continue for 5-10 seconds then it would go away and I'd have full power and the sled would take off like a rocket, it was still running/driving great at lower speeds, but as soon as you tried to put any decent speed on, it would give trouble. I put in new plugs and new wires, but the problem was still there. Then today I went out to use it, and it started okay, but was only running on one cylinder. Pulled out the plugs and pulled it over to see if they were sparking. Only one was and these were brand new NGK's with less than 3 hours use on them. Swapped plugs around between the cylinders, and sure enough, one was a bad plug. Put in a different set of plugs and I was good to go, but it was still making the popping sound at around the mid throttle range. Drove it fine for about 10 minutes or so then stopped the sled, but did not turn it off. Idled it for maybe 10 seconds and hit the throttle, and nothing. Had even less power than when it was running on one cylinder. Gave it some throttle and the rpm's went up but the sled didn't even try to move. Turned it off, checked for spark, both cylinders were good. Started it up again, and same thing, no power. Left it sitting for a good 1/2 hour then tried to start it again. Started easy but instantly died as soon as I gave it any throttle at all. Ran for maybe 5-10 seconds before stalling if I gave it no gas. Gas tank was 100% full, actually I overfilled it a bit, used the same oil I've been using, had a good mix ratio, ect. I can't figure it out, everything looks good, good spark on both cylinders, I don't know what to do. It was running decent, except for the midrange popping, then I came to a stop for like 10 seconds, hit the gas and nothing, I have not a clue. Feels like it's starving for fuel or something. I've got no idea what to do, anybody have any suggestions? It was running soooo good, except for that popping which has been getting progressively worse the past few times I've taken the sled out. Need help! I really just wanna ride this sled!

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
Id do a compression check. If everyhting is good there, id look for air leaks most likly the crank seals. The misfiring could be your points out of adjustment also

·
Registered
115 Posts
did you check the carb? if it sounds like its lacking fuel its the carb check the lines for little clogs and check your jets

by the way my friend has 3 everests they are real fun machines

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how should I do the compression check- keep the plug out of the other cylinder and throttle wide open? So how much psi should I be hoping for? 100psi? 130-150psi? Will probably only get out there this weekend, but I'll post the results once I do it.

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
remove both plugs and caps, put the plugs in the caps and make sure they are both grounded. With the throttle all the way down pull 3 or 4 times - I also belive you do this once the engine is at a warm operating temp. Compression should be even and above 100

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey this may sound like a dumb question, but where are the points on this sled, and how do they need to be set/adjusted? Before you laugh at me, this is only my second sled, and my first one was a CDI machine. I gotta bring the sled home already, I live in a city so my sled site out at our farm which is like 40 mins away.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
DaytonaTurbo said:
Hey this may sound like a dumb question, but where are the points on this sled, and how do they need to be set/adjusted? Before you laugh at me, this is only my second sled, and my first one was a CDI machine. I gotta bring the sled home already, I live in a city so my sled site out at our farm which is like 40 mins away.

[snapback]751560[/snapback]​
POints are under the flywheel.You have to remove recoil starter and you need a puller to remove the flywheel.Should be set at .015 in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
is there any chance of water in the gas ?
my kid's 340 everest was doing the same thing popping and fouling plugs. There was about 1/2 tank of gas in it new and old (ya I know, dumb)
I added seafoam to the gas, changed the plugs, topped the tank and it ran, not great but it ran, next fill up was freash gas and a little more seafoam ant the sled has run great all winter
I have to mention that the compression was tested before and after problem was just my stupidity

Rob

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I did a compression test on it when warm. 120+ psi on both cylinders. At first I started it and it wasn't running well, then later I started it and it ran normal, and I took it for a cruise and it was running good. Opened the hood, and I noticed the overflow that comes out of the side of the carb that faces the recoil was just pouring gas. The more throttle I have the more gas just came streaming out of that overflow. What's the deal with the carb that's making it just pour gas out like that?

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
compression good. Is this happinin to a mikuni carb? id dismantle the carb and check the floats. Inspect for wear as well

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I had a problem like this. And it was spitting out oil where the air comes outta the engine by the fan. I ended up doubling up on the head gaskets(89 503 f/c with the metal gaskets) and switched the heads and it was fine and running good again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I did a compression test on it when warm. 120+ psi on both cylinders. At first I started it and it wasn't running well, then later I started it and it ran normal, and I took it for a cruise and it was running good. Opened the hood, and I noticed the overflow that comes out of the side of the carb that faces the recoil was just pouring gas. The more throttle I have the more gas just came streaming out of that overflow. What's the deal with the carb that's making it just pour gas out like that?
Aside from checking the floats for sticking/adjustments i would check the needle and seat. Since the needle and seat are dependent on the float level even if the float is working properly the needle may be blocked with debris and would cause the float bowl to keep filling thus causing fuel to flow out of the overflow tube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts