Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

HELP: Gauge and dash not working

20K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  eternalwinter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys, just joined. 21 year old way to excited to join the fun. Bought an old sled and went to mountains, sunk it came home and decided i fell in love with sleds. 2 days ago i bought my dream machine 163 summit x xm t motion used from what i thought was a totally upstanding guy who sold me the sled at his business. Seemed to be on the up and up. Couldn't drive it at his business but the shape it was in didnt bother even compression checking. Get it home, test rip and the analog speedo and tach don't move. Read owners manual, and see its not doing a bunch of things.

1. Analog AND digital speedo and tach do start up cycle but do not move off zero when in motion.

2. Does not make any beeping sounds on start up or on reverse.

3. does not show the orange 'R' light when in reverse mode.

4. Does not say warm up when started.

Otherwise sled runs and drives fine, including reverse. What I have done and has been suggested to me is to take gauge pod out and check for bent terminal in plug. Noticed the sled is not a virgin and someone has DEFINITELY been in there removing and scratching the plastic by the two tabs to take the dash out. No prongs bent. Blow dried out the connection and cleaned with sensor cleaner and put di electric grease on. Nothing helped. Don't know where to go from here. Brand new to me and feeling "edit for bad language" off. Any help would be awesome.

See less See more
#12 ·
Check for bent pins at the gauges.
^^^ I would guess this also ^^^
Maybe the original owner had gauges out n hood off , and didn't quite take the time to carefully plug the gauges in properly ! Let us know OP

#17 ·
Two scenarios. Either the previous owner put a different gauge on it and didn't get it married to the ECU or the gauge internals got wet. I've seen the water intrusion happen a lot. The lens and the tabs that hold the gauge together are very brittle. The tabs start breaking off, loosens the seal between the lens and the gauge back, and water migrates in. Sometimes you can get lucky and most of the damage is the ground strap/clip at the bottom of the board gets corroded and can be cleaned up. Other times it's too far gone. I've seen the lenses cracked under the bezel from the factory new to daily trail riders having the tabs just break off from tension... It sucks but might be in the market for a different gauge. If you do have to get a new gauge, you'll have to have the dealer (or someone with CanDoo) marry the gauge to the ECU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.