Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Dootalkers,

I am in the market for a used machine. Currently I have my eye on two different 08' 800's. I went into this wanting a Renegade 800 with X package so I could get the rebuildable shocks. However it is proving very difficult to find a Renegade with the X package (or tnt) in my budget range (6000 canadian). I have come across a couple nice 121" X package machines for about the same price. I am really torn here on what to do.

My thought is, I could purchase the renegade I have my eyes on. Less then 3000km on new factory motor. About 10,000km on chassis. New track (stock spec camoplast :-( ), good skis, good shape, with electric start. Its the standard package, so the shocks will need replacing.

Second machine, right around same cost but is 121 track, electric start, X package, c&a skis, excellent shape and very clean. Would cost me about 200 bucks in gas to drive there and back though.

The X package Renegades I have been finding are at least 1000-1500 more, more than I am willing to pay given the unpredictable nature of our winters the last couple years. I was thinking about purchasing an X package in 121 and stretching it, but realizing it is probably cheaper to purchase a gade and install X package (or aftermarket) shocks then to buy a new track, tunnel extension, rail extension and renegade heat exchanger. And I am not sure if the shocks are the same from 121 to 137.

I keep hearing how everyone with a renegade would never go back to a short track. I plan on hanging onto this machine at least two seasons so want to purchase something I feel confident in that I made the right choice and wont be second guessing. I am not sure if the premium guage package on the X model is worth worry over either, but I know I could put the X shocks on the Renegade and in essense have the X package for a 1000 less then what the used are selling for, minus the premium guage and adjustable hand/thumb warmers.

Thoughts?? I am torn!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
it really depends on how you ride. if the only offtrail stuff you do is the occasional pass through the powder go with the shorty. i have primarily ride 121s and i find they are decent off trail if you keep up momentum. so personally i wouold say go with the 121, my dad has a renagade and when i ride his i can feel the extra length behind me in the tight and twisty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I should probably add. 75% on trail, 25% off. Trails around here do tend to get pretty rough. Not that I ride in a lot of super deep powder, so the additional flotation is not as much of an advantage as the improved ride characteristics. But I feel it's nice knowing you have that added track length when wanted.

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,700 Posts
I have a 09 500ss... 121 and when ya put that next to my mighty Mach with a 136... ya can feel the difference. Eveeyone complains about 136 being long.... my buddy rides a 151on the trails.. the biggest difference i notice is that with the longer track, you dont feel all yhe small bumps. Having a bigger footprint on the snow helps a lot. It is mostly personal preference, but i would never buy a short track again... but that thing gets such amazing gas mileage .....

That's just my $.02

Let us know what ya decide on getting!!!! And good luck

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had a short track, then rode a Renegade for two seasons, I'm going back to a short track. I didn't find the Renegade rode any better in rough terrain, and I did notice the extra length and weight when trail riding all day. I just don't ride enough off trail to make the sacrifices when I know I primarily trail ride. I'm pretty fanatical about set up with skis, carbides, and custom shocks and I just could not get a Renegade set up for the way I ride nearly as well as a shorty.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
If you want the gade, I would not sell yourself short - sorry, couldn't resist. Just wait until you find what you want, otherwise you will always wonder whether you made the right choice. It is still early...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.