Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
the other night after riding around jumping over and over and playing I was having one hell of a time getting my sled to start. pull and pull and pull, choke, no choke, hold throttle etc etc etc nothing. Finally started up and "edit for bad language" packed my friends sled (I was holding the throttle), he had backed up to tow me into the garage.(I was parked in his driveway)
Now today, I start it up and it seems fine but after a few minutes in dies and now WILL NOT start. It looks like it could be out of gas but after only 92 miles on the tank? I can usually get 110-120 miles out of a tank. I notice when I pull it over there is no lights in the gauges or headlight and my tach is stuck on 1 and my speedo is stuck on 5mph.

WHAT is happening??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Could it be my killswitch has quit alltogether now? It has been malfunctioning lately (not shutting down good), the other night I wasnt even noticing the lights (wheter they were on or not when pulling) but tonight they are NOT.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
First of put some gas in it. Then check for your gas lines if they were pinched while jumping. I do not beilieve the lights come on until the sled starts. Also pull plugs and check for spark, that will tell you if your switch has something to do with it. Set plugs on metal contact while pulling it over to see spark. Let me know My bet is that u r out of GAS. starts with choke at first then nothing know.
My guess. Ive done it as well thats why I feel its it

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
1st update: I went and got gas and put in it, now I pull a few times and nothing. I turn the choke on all the way and after about 3 pulls BANG. (backfires)
Still no lights on the gauges (while pull starting, I thought there should be)????????????????????

it did NOT start

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2nd update: I just pulled out the spark plugs and HOLY "edit for bad language", were they BLACK. The electrode area was caked in oily gunky black and when I pulled off the caps there was alot of black junk on the tops/tips as well.

Can/Should I use some electric contact cleaner in the caps before I reinstall them? I already know about dielectric grease on the plugs tops.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3rd and final update for now: didnt wait to hear back from you guys, I went ahead and used my electric contact cleaner/lube inside the plug caps and replaced those nasty plugs. She started right up and ran and I now know that the lights dont come on until the sled is running. I thought on the older sleds you would get a bit of lighting as you were pulling the rope? Guess the new ones dont do that?

Anyway I learned to change my plugs once in awhile and not just when I actually pay for a preseason checkup and/or foul one. Because in over 2700 miles on this 7c REV Ive fouled one plug and the dealer changed them once before last season and thats it. I personally changed one plug in this sled and I believe that was early last year. (until now)

I should have known this old girl wouldnt die on me. Man do I feel better!!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK: I have DPM carbs so I was hoping my jetting would be all good?
bad drive? if that means slow NO not me. I was playing around alot the other day, due to low snow conditions so maybe the on the throttle, idle, coast, on the throttle etc etc loaded it up?
The only time before when I fouled a plug I was doing the same thing, riding around on snowbanks and doing jump after jump.
Ive never rejetted a sled before, I know I could gain performance but someone needs to invent a snowmobile repair for dummies book before I will mess with carbs.
That book is my idea by the way, what do you think of it? If you steal the idea please cut me in on the profits?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.