Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is my issue. I've been doing some work underneath the skid(grip and rip braces, carbon fibre gaurds. Etc.). Had the sled completely over on it clutch side for 3-4 days in the shop and when I turned it back up right some coolant was after leaking out on the floor. Best guess is about 10 ml., very minimal amount. Didn't think it was a big deal, though it was an overflow or something. Drained my chaincase and notice a bolt was broken off so, back up on it side to drill and tap that out, again on its clutch side for another couple days in the shop. Just went down and turned it up right and pulled the plugs for the pre season compression test, pulled it over to clear the Pistons of oil( I always put 1-2 tbsp of oil in each head during the summer) and noticed coolant was in the clutch side piston.

Now, the clutch side has 148psi and the mag side has 146psi. Sled was running perfect at end of season, never had to add coolant or anything else. Which leads me to ask where did the coolant come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have zero experience leaving my Sled on its side for several days, and sure how many others would either. The only thing comes to mind, is to check your airbox for coolant. Possible that coolant came out the overflow, found its way in the airbox, than into PTO cyl since it was the low side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of pulling the head tomorrow for a look inside.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pressure on coolant cap during off season has pushed coolant past your head gasket . Re torque head bolls I'm sure they are loose! Same thing happened to my 11, tightened and no more problems.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I agree, retorque head bolts and top up coolant and burp any air out of system. Ride the sled for a while, pull the spark plugs inspect that they both have carbon coating them and one is not shiny and clean looking!
That would indicated a head leak of coolant.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a plan. Will do and let you know the results.

·
Registered
2022 Mach Z
1,076 Posts
Sorry not sorry to hijack but I opened the coolant res cap on mine 16' 800 ( had not been ran for days before hand) and coolant came spewing out so I recapped it quick. Anybody have an idea of why this would happen?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sorry not sorry to hijack but I opened the coolant res cap on mine 16' 800 ( had not been ran for days before hand) and coolant came spewing out so I recapped it quick. Anybody have an idea of why this would happen?
its a closed system that holds pressure. If you fill your tank to the line when cold, run it, and recheck it will be low. Now slowly open the cap and will go right back up to the line.

·
Registered
2022 Mach Z
1,076 Posts
its a closed system that holds pressure. If you fill your tank to the line when cold, run it, and recheck it will be low. Now slowly open the cap and will go right back up to the line.
The sled wasn't even running when I opened the cap and coolant sprayed out. Should I try to open it again and fill to the line, the whole reason I opened it was because it looked low

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It will hold pressure for a month at least. Refil to line when cold. After you run it, it will likely drop 2". If you remove the cap again while slowly letting the air out, it will rise back to the line.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked the heads and got a 1/8 turn on 3 head bolts. Decided to pull the head anyways and seems like some coolant seeped past the head orings while it was turned on its side for such a long time. Cylinders look perfect, compression was perfect and no coolant in the base.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If all is good, cleanup mating surfaces, and install new o'rings.
Torque head bolts in three stages 15lbs, then 18lbs, then final 21lbs.
Raise sled up start and add coolant, until it reaches full line. Check that the rear heat exchanger actually starts to warm up, this would indicate the coolant has reached the rear of sled. As it heats up air will be pushed out, top off at full line.

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts