Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the UP and it was cold last night sled wouldn't start so i got it going with the emergency pull starter. Well i thought once it got warm it would be fine, nope. Had it running for hours when shut off it just clicks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2015 800 etec battery is one yr old. Tried jumping solenoid nothing. If its completely dead would it charge it after ridding for an hour?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Backcountry is the sled.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad battery, if it starts with a boost then there's your answer. It's possible for the battery to read 12v on a multimeter but not be able to handle a load such as starting your sled, could have a bad cell or 2.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried jumping it with a little jump box but nothing. Its one of those little lithium boxes i wonder if that has enough juice though...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad battery, if it starts with a boost then there's your answer. It's possible for the battery to read 12v on a multimeter but not be able to handle a load such as starting your sled, could have a bad cell or 2.
Battery needs to read around 12.4v and above to start sled properly. If your battery is reading 12.0v that is a 50% dead battery!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok got back home and tried jumping off the truck nothing. This effin sucks! Three more days of riding and starting it with the pull rope is getting real old. Is there anything else anyone can think of. To me sounds like its not the battery. Don't have a volt meter...

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
It is very hard to charge a COLD battery.Be careful boosting or charging a frozen battery,they can explode (ask me how i know ). :unsure_old:

Sorry you type faster than me.

Do you have a test light.Check for power at the battery side of the solenoid,now try to start it and check for power on the starter side of solenoid if you have good power there ( nice bright light on test light ) check the cable and connection at the starter,and all grounds.Also when you boost do you go on the battery - or to the frame .

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill try to get at the connections on the starter tomorrow see if they are tight. I connected the jumpers right to the battery. I went through all the connections making sure they were tight, they were. Is it weird that nothing happens when i try to jump the solenoid? I have done it in boats and quads and it always sparked then activated the starter, on the sled nothing even when hooked up to the truck.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think this is a major issue that BRP should be taking care of... I am going to get the number of my dealers BRP rep and i am just going to keep raising hell until i get a hold of someone that can actually help.
Ok from a charged battery put a neg jumper on the chassis, just tap the positive jumper cable to the red positive wire on the solenoid that leads to starter. The starter should engage if it does not the starter has failed. If starter engages, then solenoid test should be preformed next. Also 30 amp and 5amp fuses should be working for further testing. Replace with know good fuses...!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Replace the small fuse and if that doesn't do it... The starter might be done for. #1 reason why I did not want ES regardless of price, perks, etc.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Haha this just happened to me 1 hour ago.

All you hear is the clicking of the solenoid. .. not a battery issue .. -20 deg C.. tapped on the starter body with my pliers. . Then boom good to go.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Glad I ordered my Freeride without e-start starts first pull. (not meant as a bash)
I had the same problem with a quad battery had good static volts but not enough cranking volts 12.5 until you hit the starter dropped to something like 8v or less ( don't remember the exact volts) and just click new battery fixed it.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Be careful tapping on the starter. The magnets are glued to the housing. If they crack, it will jam up the starter and then it's done.

I took my starter apart to see what failed and that is what happened. Just from use as the starter is attached to the motor and takes a beating.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I wouldn't suggest beating on it.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Do what Icanfixit suggest that way you are eliminating a lot of things.It is so much easier to trouble shoot hands on ( at lest for me ).

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Battery needs to read around 12.4v and above to start sled properly. If your battery is reading 12.0v that is a 50% dead battery
Both of you are correct... but fair warning, I had a gel battery on my motorcycle this summer that tested at 12.5 but had a shorted cell. It would barely crank then short instantly and sometimes do nothing at all. I couldn't even bump start the bike- a fuel injected Yamaha 1000. It was totally a shorted cell on the gel battery that would test ok at the terminals but was garbage. It was a real nightmare to diagnose because I thought the battery was good. Have your tester connected and watch it while trying to crank the sled. On my bike it would go to zero and everything between/go all haywire when you were cranking. A healthy battery doesn't do that.

I believe the gel glass mat batteries these sleds use should ideally show a resting 12.7-8. Can someone else confirm that for me? I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
That's why I suggested to jumper voltage directly to the starter chassis ground and starter positive lead by tapping to solenoid post!
Using a know good 12.4v or above boost! Bypassing the battery and solenoid system. If the starter has failed, you will know before spending excessive time chasing system. If starter is good, then jumper 12v positive to the small top wire on the solenoid it should engage the starter if it does not confirm you have a good lower small wire 12v ground, and it still does not engage starter replace solenoid. You can buy a 12v 30amp solenoid at princess auto here in Canada, Napa or auto supply store. Needs to be a 4 post 30amp 12v solenoid for replacement.

Best of luck figuring it out, if you need technical help just post we will help you figure it out.

Thxs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts