Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Let me start out by saying that I am new to this forum, and recently bought my first snowmobile... a 1977 Yamaha GP 440.

This is what it looks like:

1977_YAMAHA_GP_440_1_MARCH_2006_PP4674.j

I already had to fix the throttle cable on it. (it was sticking open *pretty dangerous), but that is all fixed now.

What I am seeing now is that it seems to have a hard time getting going. Almost like it is bogging down on get go. BUT once you ease it up and its up to speed it seems to work like a charm!

I don't really know much about these rigs, but am fairly handy and should be able to do some of the work myself. Does anyone know what could be causing the 'bogging' on get go? It starts up no problem in a few pulls. I think it sat for probably a year from the guy I bought it from. Maybe something may be a little gunked up?

Also, it seems to be pretty hard to find any info on these sleds online. Anyone else have one? or heard of them?

Any advice or help would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey again, well I drove it a little more today. It seemed to get better as I drove. Could it be just gunked up lines that kinda worked its way out as it Heated up? I did, however snap the brake handle off on my way out of the trail lol I can see where it had been welded on before hah still a fun rig!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sounds like gunk from old fuel is dissolving and gradually going through. You should clean the carbs. It will be night and day. Those sleds are beautiful machines. Yamaha made some nice models in that time frame.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alright thanks for the help guys!

So, looks like I need to look into getting the carb cleaned. I don't think I'm confident enough to do this work properly myself. Is this something I could get done at a motorsports mechanic shop? How long of a job is this?

Here are the only pictures I have right now

12620629_10156559183700637_1422411743_o.

12637339_10156559183515637_282389043_o_1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey again guys,

Can anyone tell me where abouts the fuel filter is located? I've been told that I should get this cleaned/replaced but am not really sure where to find it.

Any advice will help,

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
On some yammies they have a big metal one in the gas tank get a coat hanger make a hook for one end and fish your pick up line out of the tank or find a parts micro fiche online check the gas tank etc part pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts