Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help.

I put a new kill switch on my wife's MXZ today and moved the bars a little forward. The machine was running excellent, and the kill switch install was also working.

While moving the handlebars I broke the brake light cable. I was trying to fix the cable (there was still enough tread left on the plastic end to screw it back in). When I started the machine again to test the brake light, the light was not working. Then when I tried to start it again it would not start.

I had thought that I had just flooded the machine (my daughter was playing around and flipped the choke on), but I took the plugs out (they were wet) and let the machine dry out while I installed mirrors.

After finishing the installation of the mirrors, I tried to fire the machine again. No go.

I left the house for a few hours and when I came home I tried to fire the machine again. Still no go. I changed out the plugs and put new ones in, and the machine still will not start. I double checked the kill switch to see that a wire had not come lose etc, and everything looks fine.

Is it possible that I shorted something when the brake light cable broke. This seems like something electrical.

I have spark, and I have gas...But she will not start or even attempt to start.

Any help would be aprreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be sure, I primed the heads with a little gas to see if she would fire.

Each time she would start for about 2 seconds and stop.

Now I think the problem is fuel related...I can still smell fuel, but

it would appear the engine is not getting enough fuel to run the engine.

I'll continue to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
did you take the airbox off while you were putting new kill switch in? could you have kinked the fuel line coming out of the tank? check all the plugs on your MEPM box? start over and disconnect your kill switch and try to start it.positive kill switch wired right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: For those who want to know the outcome.

As it turns out, it had nothing to do with the electrical.

I have a set of shop wheels that I always place the sleds on in my garage (makes them easier to move around and saves the floor)

Anyway, the gas gauge on the machine showed 1/3 tank, but what I discovered was that there was actually less than 1/4. With the machine sitting on the shop wheels the front end was higher than the rear and basically all the gas was sitting at the back of the tank...

Long story short I must have airlocked the fuel line some how and she wasn't getting any gas. I disconnected one of the fuel lines to one of the carbs and when cranking the engine there was no fuel.

When I took her off the shop wheels, and added a gallon of gas, and cranked her over for 20-30 seconds, she finally started pumping and started right up.

I still suspect that there might be a small issue with the fuel pump or line coming from the tank because the flow doesn't seem to be as plentiful as I would expect.

I took her out for a spin though, and she had lots of jump.

She'll get a good test this weekend when we go for a good ride.

No offense to the Bombi owners (they are awesome machines) but I love the convenience of my Firecat EFI...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad it worked out. God knows most of us have overlooked the easy stuff over and over.

I spent the better part of four hours trying to get my wife's Indy 500 running......... with 4 YEAR OLD GAS IN IT!!!!!

Bought the sled years ago. Due to health issues she wasn't able to ride until this year. Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs... never thought to drain the tank and refill with fresh gas!!

I still have blisters on my hands from pulling that thing over last week. I felt like an "edit for bad language". Once it had a belly of fresh gas, ran like new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.