Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend took a pretty good header on the trail and knocked his noggin pretty good a few weeks ago. He ended up with a grade 2 concussion.
My question is how do you know if the helmet is still good? The foam inside does not look crushed and there is no apparent damage to the shell.

He already bought a new helmet but we were wondering what to do with the old one....It's only 1 season old. It's and HJC CL-12

·
lay the smack down
2,961 Posts
i think they are made for 1 good impact.... 1 good one then chuck it or as some have mentioned make a lamp out of it...

do a search you'll find a post regarding using a crashed helmet this from last year

love

·
Registered
622 Posts
If the helmet took enough impact to give him a concussion, throw the helmet away and buy a new one. It's not worth the price to use a helmet that may or may not have damage. Hairline fractures can be hard to detect. The next impact could split it wide open and offer zero protection. Just get a new one. Cheap compared to the alternative.
I would suggest making sure the suspect helmet is rendered unusable before it is disposed of, to ensure no one grabs it out of the garbage can.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Never use a helmet after a crash. I agree with Scuba and would probably burn it in the burn barrel.

Jay

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I had a nasty crash a few years ago in Michigan when I hit a buried boulder. I was able to see spider cracks or hairline stretches in the helmet. I would look at it very closely, maybe even use a magnifine glass. I would not suggest using a helmet that has those marks but on the flip side, I would not throw a helmet that looks perfectly fine in the trash. If you Doo, PM me and I'll take it!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCUBA STEVE said:
If the helmet took enough impact to give him a concussion, throw the helmet away and buy a new one. It's not worth the price to use a helmet that may or may not have damage. Hairline fractures can be hard to detect. The next impact could split it wide open and offer zero protection. Just get a new one. Cheap compared to the alternative.
I would suggest making sure the suspect helmet is rendered unusable before it is disposed of, to ensure no one grabs it out of the garbage can.
[snapback]694931[/snapback]​
Maybe we'll drill some holes in it and chuck it. It looks brand new so I doubt it will make it to the dump otherwise.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TeamScream said:
I had a nasty crash a few years ago in Michigan when I hit a buried boulder. I was able to see spider cracks or hairline stretches in the helmet. I would look at it very closely, maybe even use a magnifine glass. I would not suggest using a helmet that has those marks but on the flip side, I would not throw a helmet that looks perfectly fine in the trash. If you Doo, PM me and I'll take it!!!

[snapback]694943[/snapback]​
We looked at it real close and there is NO damage to the outside shell. He landed on snow so I doubt that will cause cracks. We just can't tell if the foam inside has compressed. He does not want to chance it so he already bought a new one. I will see what he wants to do with it...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I believe the helmet has two primary protection barriers - The outer shell and the inner styro foam. That styro foam gives you a lot of protection but does not bounce back into original form and I'm willing to bet that a grade to concussion was a hard enough hit to compress the styrofoam quite a bit. I would say destroy it, then chuck it. Would not want it kicking around just in case someone else comes upon it and thinks it's a good helmet.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Braap said:
TeamScream said:

[snapback]694943[/snapback]​
We looked at it real close and there is NO damage to the outside shell. He landed on snow so I doubt that will cause cracks. We just can't tell if the foam inside has compressed. He does not want to chance it so he already bought a new one. I will see what he wants to do with it...
[snapback]694956[/snapback]​
SCRAP IT!!!
Even if you drop them on the ground from a good distance you should scrap it! There is no point in goin around chancing it anymore! Regardless of how many seasons he's had it, he should feel like he got a life time out of it! If he managed to get a 2nd degree cuncussion just think of what it would have done if he used one that hit something already.....

·
Registered
683 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
If anyone pulls a helmet out of the garbage to use it they may deserve to die. That would be a great submission to the Darwin awards.

[snapback]694969[/snapback]​
Agreed, but if they pull it out of the garbage to bring home as a spare for their unsuspecting company...

Plus, we all know there are quite a few Darwin candidates out there (I could probably be nominated for a few of my past actions).

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
if they pull it out of the garbage to bring home as a spare for their unsuspecting company...
Then the unsuspecting company deserves to die for having an IDIOT for a friend. I can not imagine someone going through the neighbors garbage and pulling a helmet out and saying, "Well, I aint gonna wear it, but maybe company can."

Who in the world would think it is a good idea to garbage pick a helmet? "Hey Pa, lookie here a helmet to protect that brown stuff in my head..." It is almost like Uncle Eddy. The had to replace the steel plate in his head with a plastic one because everytime they fire up the microwave he "edit for bad language" his pants and forgets his name.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you lived in rural AK. you could just throw it out in the back yard with all your old household appliances and cars and use it for target practice.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Irondog said:
If you lived in rural AK. you could just throw it out in the back yard with all your old household appliances and cars and use it for target practice.
[snapback]694998[/snapback]​
Apperantly you can not get away with that in the lesser 49 because they would use it for target practice while someone was wearing it...

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts

Give it to a woman Have her throw some Dirt in it and Plant her pretty Pansies in the SUmmer time!
Better then an old boot if your a Sledding family

And you would have to drill holes in it for Drainage

EDIT:

Then Company could admire it and not have their lives risked

be a Better Friend

·
DooTalk Goldcard Holder
15,875 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
Irondog said:
[snapback]694998[/snapback]​
Apperantly you can not get away with that in the lesser 49 because they would use it for target practice while someone was wearing it...

[snapback]695054[/snapback]​
Since when did we become "lesser"?????????

·
Just Killin' Time Till Summer
1,258 Posts
Dump it is your mellon worth the chance your taking by reusing a crashed helmet?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Irondog said:
We're the 49th state, anything less then 49 is lesser. It also known as the "lower 48".
[snapback]695130[/snapback]​
I include Hawaii in my lesser 49.

Officially, you became lesser in 1959.

The simple fact that you can not throw away a damaged helmet without fear of some idiot pawning it off to friends of family as new, proves my point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts