Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a helmet and goggles instead of a traditional full face, but I am thinking that on cold days I may regret this decision. Will I?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Nope. Get a wind blocking balaclava and tape up the mouth vents on the helmet if needed. Most come with a breath box but I usually ditch that right away.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have one of each and decide which depending on how warm it is. Although I have worn the MX helmet and goggles in sub 0 weather and have been fine provided you have a good breath box, balaclava, and a spare set of goggles.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Also have and bring both but find I wear the full face more often not because of temperatures as I have full balaclava, but because of wet snow, mist or rain that freezes up on googles at windchill speeds. I like the open face in warmer conditions and if no snow, mist or rain.

I have the 509 x5 sinister goggles and love them. Whatever HJC MX shell and a HJC full face snow shell with heated shield

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have an HJC MX style and a FXR Dual sport. I like the dual sport because its sort of the best of both, a full face and an MX. Can be worn with the shield or with Goggles. Exact model is the FXR Torque with electric shield. A big key with MX style helmets is getting goggles that fit the helmet so you have less issues with skin coverage in the cold. my 2 cents...

·
Looking for the Hot Tub...
7,044 Posts
I switched to MX style a few year back, love it, like the more free feeling compared to my Mod helmet, I tend to breath a lot of moisture and with the mod the pads are always wet and I feel like I cant breathe. As mentioned a good set of goggles is a must, they have to cover the hole opening.

The only downfall I see is when your riding really fast the wind can catch the visor and pull on the top of your head a little...the mod gets worn when its really cold.

R

·
Registered
568 Posts
I just bought the open face this year with great goggles and the Arctic Klim Balaclava, not cold at all. BUT, I'm coming off a BV2S and it's tough to step away from. For me personally, there are way too many moving parts to the open face; balaclava, helmet, goggles, breath deflector etc. I keep going back to my BV2S because I slip it on and close it up and go. Problem is, it weighs a ton for the off-trial. Nothing can beat the BV2S Visibility either compared to the open face. Maybe I just need to wear the open face more?!?! I guess it depends on what kind if riding I plan on doing too. I'm still torn on which one, but keep going back to my BV2S.

Reactions: Gadesadillya

·
Registered
272 Posts
I went from a gmax 54s to a fly f2 carbon this year and couldn't be happier with the switch. I'm using klim radius pro goggles with a klim glacier balaclava. I haven't been cold at all, actually a little too warm at times, and haven't had any fogging issues. The anti fog coating that klim uses on their goggles works extremely well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thinking about buying a helmet and goggles instead of a traditional full face, but I am thinking that on cold days I may regret this decision. Will I?
If you just trail ride I don't know why you would want anything other than a ski doo modular helmet. If its cold, close the shield. If its warm, crack the shield, and remove the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
399 Posts
klim arctic balaclave is to -40 or more its been tested i promise.. scott goggles are great performers, lacking style of some others but out performs! the foam is wind proof (winter models) and they are great. been using this style since 1998 tried a modular last year and no thanks.. i pack clear lens goggles when im going out past dark.night riding clear lens only!!! don't even pretend anything else is good for nights. not for everyone mx style but once you get used to it most never go back..

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another great option for the balchalava is FXR/Yamaha Black Ops 34.99 and works just as well. I rode over 250 miles past two days and my face never got cold nor did I have fogging.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
You can get a dual sport helmet like the GMAX GM11S or something similar that allows you to use goggles and have the shield open when warmer and closed when colder.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
You can get a dual sport helmet like the GMAX GM11S or something similar that allows you to use goggles and have the shield open when warmer and closed when colder.
I have the Gmax dual sport helmet and absolutely love it.

I have tried several goggles, and I have settled on the Oakley goggles.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
If you just trail ride I don't know why you would want anything other than a ski doo modular helmet. If its cold, close the shield. If its warm, crack the shield, and remove the mouthpiece.
I will have to disagree.

I trail ride and am a ditch banger.

I tried the full face helmet, I tried the doo modular helmet, and I finally tried the open helmet with goggles.

As an overall comfortable helmet, in all riding conditions and temps, I prefer the open helmet with goggles.

Just because you are a trail rider doesn't mean you have to settle for the modular helmet.

A helmet is a personal preference choice, not a "you trail ride so this is the helmet for you" choice.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,099 Posts
I have the Gmax dual sport helmet and absolutely love it.

I have tried several goggles, and I have settled on the Oakley goggles.
Still liking the Oakleys I see :smile_old:

Im rocking a old Doo MX helmet with the Oakley Air Breaks and love them! I have 2 pairs and Ive yet to have a fogging issue with them.

denispics6 018.JPG

denispics6 037c.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Still liking the Oakleys I see :smile_old:

Im rocking a old Doo MX helmet with the Oakley Air Breaks and love them! I have 2 pairs and Ive yet to have a fogging issue with them.

attachicon.gif
denispics6 018.JPG

attachicon.gif
denispics6 037c.jpg
Still liking them..... :smile_old: :smile_old: :smile_old:

The Oakleys are great goggles.

Very spendy $$, but money well spent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts