Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know what temperature to open the valve to heat the carbs? What happens that lets you know you need them heated. In all the years, I've never had a "carb" issue.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep only turn on if below zero.

if you have them on all the time when you shut down the hot carbs lose the gas and cause hard restarting.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
Yeah run them when it is really cold out, I guess around zero. But I have also heard that you should/could run the heated carbs on when there is alot of snow dust and powder. I usually forget to turn them on haha I just make sure to run some dry gas through the sled often.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Used them once in 10 degree weather just to use them. I havent had any problems without them. Plus if used and too warm they will foul the plugs.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yeah it says 40 but ignore that. how many times do you ride a snowmobile at 40 degrees? not too many. My dealer recommeds no warmer than 20 degrees or extreme cold. Basically anything below zero. If you do use them your asking for problems. Bad fuel mileage, fouled plugs, and you just dont need them.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Do not ever use them at high altitude unless you want a workout kill your battery if you have elec start.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Used them once last january in the UP when it was -15 for a high. didn't tell any difference. besides cold gas burns better anyway. leave them off unless you have problems. and then just sit and laugh at the yamaha guys when they have to go back into the bar and ask the bartender for a glass of hot water to dump on their carbs to get started again. hahahahahahahaha. what were the japs thinking on that one?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The flatsides were having some iceing problems when riding in snow dust and freezing rain. Not sure, but the heated carbs may also reduce piston scuff from snow dust.
Last year with DPM, running the carb heaters on had little effect on fuel economy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you run them in warmer temperatures you will notice a performance difference also. (you will see it go down.) That is a fact!

I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wish you could turn them on and off without getting off the seat. There have been a couple times that I couldn't remember if I had them on or off and it bugged me until I pulled over to check (ya, know never want to be giving up performance cause I was running with them heater on, or don't want to ice up cause I forgot to turn them on, lot of good this option will do me if I don't use it properly.)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It seems that heated carbs on a sled is a more of a pain. The guy I bought my sled from said that in the "right conditions" meaning temperature, humidity, etc. they work to keep the jets from frosting up. He said wait untill you notice the sled acting funny then turn them on. Brilliant. I'd like to see a diagram of where the coolant flows through the carb to see what part gets the hottest thus affecting performance. Who would want warm gas and air going into the intake? A buddy of mine who races Pro 5.0 actually Ices his fuel and intake to cool the fuel charge for more performance.
What may make sense to me is what snowfever said in that turning them on just before shutting the sled down to warm the carbs for easier starting after a few pints may be just the ticket.

thanks to all who responded.

"I love you man! but you can't have my Bud."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts