Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Good advice to exercise caution on all lakes this year, especially now. WOT pulls down an unknown stretch of lake bed is asking for carnage.

Reactions: Drti mxz

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As well, Oxtongue and probably other lakes are badly rutted from sleds running in the slush...which has now frozen. These will be nasty like train tracks buried in the snow if they get covered

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Good call.....

the smaller lakes up here that had deeper snow are all rutted up with frozen slush trails...

the larger lakes, same on Mary here as LOB, were as smooth as a ice rink from last weeks rain, and all this week at night when it was cold I would get woke up to the loud cracking sounds....anytime i hear that the lakes cracks are being pushed up.

Be careful out there this weekend gang.

Dan

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
was on lake of bays today there are at least two open spots and I mean wide open between Dwight and dorset this lake is NOT SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
was on lake of bays today there are at least two open spots and I mean wide open between Dwight and dorset this lake is NOT SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That explains the radar runs in Dwight being cancelled,they moved them too this weekend and cancelled again.

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
all the lakes that we ran in the area are absolute glare ice underneath the fresh snow thats fallen...if you dont have picks good luck stopping or trying to turn...just an accident waiting to happen

That explains the radar runs in Dwight being cancelled,they moved them too this weekend and cancelled again.
I didn't see any open spots where the radar run is,but a couple good size pressure cracks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Where abouts ?

I am between the two and went out for a few minutes yesterday. Headed towards Dorset, and not taking chances turned around as soon as things didn't look right ahead, still a couple hundred yards away. Backtracked and went towards South Portage and a little gun shy this time did the same when it didn't look right.

May just have been bad reflections but went with my gut and didn't venture closer to see.

Half hour later I heard about Fairy Lake incident.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Where abouts ?

I am between the two and went out for a few minutes yesterday. Headed towards Dorset, and not taking chances turned around as soon as things didn't look right ahead, still a couple hundred yards away. Backtracked and went towards South Portage and a little gun shy this time did the same when it didn't look right.
May just have been bad reflections but went with my gut and didn't venture closer to see.
t

You made the smart call.

Reactions: Old Papa Smurf

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
there are always a couple spots that can open near the island, its the shallow spot where it flows, you may have been there but hard to say without more info. If so, that spot is littarally on a sand bar and shallow. Also im guessing in dorset you really will need to go out and around the canal as the rivers,creeks and streams came up alot from last weekends rain. I dont doubt you but many of us know these common areas and this does not mean the main lake ice is thin by any means.

Just read someone went through on Fairy Lake this past Wednesday. Be safe ppl.
This was reported to be right off the river into huntsville, and everyone knows you cannot be near this river(below lookout point) you must go out the shoreline and around island or you are asking for trouble. These kids were in an area that is not safe ever, no matter how cold a winter.

Running the lakes up here for 40+ yrs now and if you do not KNOW them well, you are better off remaining on trails or at least staked lakes.

Mary lake is now staked at trail in port sydney, and up at the north end of lake near me is a large pressure crack to be aware of, with a few flat spots to pass over it, and I layed down tracks today in daylight so stick to the tracks.

Dan

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
Where abouts ?

coming out of haystack bay right at the channel markers and then about a km the lake from there going toward dorset

1 - 14 of 14 Posts