Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my stock bulbs so I can see better when night riding, what do you guys recommend? I don't really want to do any extra wiring so what are the best stock replacements, Ive heard PIAA halogens are good as well as LED?

·
Registered
358 Posts
3600k is close to natural light. They are very bright. They out distance stk . I always out drove stk. We drive in woods a lot and it's nice seeing next corner. I can say I see no need for any more light.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You don't want to install HID's the factory housing. It will scatter light everywhere and blind oncoming sleds. If you go HID, you should go with a full HID bi-xenon projector kit. This is a bigger undertaking though. You will have to split your headlight lens from the housing to install them. the benefits though are less power consumption over the stock halogen, fantastic wide beam that wil light up the night, and with the cutoff beam, they work really well in snow dust conditions.

I can't speak much of LEDs. But the ones I have seen don't put out near the light that even the stock halogen does. I'm sure there are some good quality units out there, but with so many bad ones, it may difficult to find a decent one. It's not just the light output of the bulb, but the placement of the diode since they only shine from one side of the bulb instead of an entire 360 light output.

For halogen bulbs, Sylvania silver star ultras are pretty good. The color is much whiter than stock but not so filtered that they block light output. If you find bulbs that are really heavily tinted blue, they will emit white light, but it will be less than stock. You will want to avoid any heavily filtered bulbs.

I think the main issue is the xs headlights are just not very good. You could buy skidoos auxiliary led light. I've heard good reviews on them. But they are pricey.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the xp so I can't get the skidoo led light, there are sone aftermarket led light bars that mount to the bumper but they are all around $300 and i'm not really sold on the super white led light for certain conditions like heavy snow. I think I'm going to give the PIAA's a try just can't decide between the nights techs or xtreme white.

·
Registered
18 Freeride 154 3”
390 Posts
I have the extreme white and i think they are much better than stock. Mine has a very slight bluish tint to it. For my eyes, it's easier to see drifts and ridges in the snow than a completely white bulb. I had 8000k HID in my last truck and went with 6000k on the one I have now and I don't like it. I'll be replacing with 8000k to get that slight blue color to help when driving through snow.

I ran the piaa's last season around 600 miles and haven't had any trouble. Mine came in a hard plastic case so I put my factory bulbs in that and put them in my tunnel bag so I would have spares if I lost one on the trail.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the extreme white and i think they are much better than stock. Mine has a very slight bluish tint to it. For my eyes, it's easier to see drifts and ridges in the snow than a completely white bulb. I had 8000k HID in my last truck and went with 6000k on the one I have now and I don't like it. I'll be replacing with 8000k to get that slight blue color to help when driving through snow.

I ran the piaa's last season around 600 miles and haven't had any trouble. Mine came in a hard plastic case so I put my factory bulbs in that and put them in my tunnel bag so I would have spares if I lost one on the trail.
The lower the kevlar number the better it is for snow or fog. yellow brown red low number. The blues purples reflect off the snow. Tire your eyes. I like 3600k because it's close to natural light.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the xp so I can't get the skidoo led light, there are sone aftermarket led light bars that mount to the bumper but they are all around $300 and i'm not really sold on the super white led light for certain conditions like heavy snow. I think I'm going to give the PIAA's a try just can't decide between the nights techs or xtreme white.
You will be happy with night techs and they are cheaper.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I'll go with the PIAA night tech's. How do you swap the bulbs on the xp, just pop out the gauge ans reach in?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do you just unscrew them and switch them out then?
Mine is like a cars. A wire like retainer that clips in and holds them in. Do not touch bulb. Pinch in both sides off connector to remove from bulb. I bet there is a video of H4 bulb replacement on U tube

·
Registered
18 Freeride 154 3”
390 Posts
The lower the kevlar number the better it is for snow or fog. yellow brown red low number. The blues purples reflect off the snow. Tire your eyes. I like 3600k because it's close to natural light.
Like I said for me it works better with a little blue. Maybe my eyes are weird.

Now if it's really snowing hard I'll throw the yellow lenses in my goggles. If it's a clear night I'm fine without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Boondocking Connoisseur
1,175 Posts
Kevlar? I think you mean kelvin... But yes people that know what they are doing will have a higher temperature high beam (6000k-8000k) and a low temp fog light (3000k). Yellow is better in the snow and fog.

·
Registered
387 Posts
LED headlights are not as good as the stock halogen bulbs or HID's. They look great running in the shop but the light diminishs very quickly. I am going to experiment with one LED and one HID/Silverstar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts