Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding in deep snow my headlights get quickly covered by snow- does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this? Are any aftermarket lens covers designed to eliminate this?
It's a royal pain to constantly sweep them with my gloves..

·
Registered
1 Posts

First of all I can't believe your sled goes through deep snow! What did you do put on 100's of dollars in aftermarket parts like new skis, track, and beaver tail elimination kit? Secondly, stay on the trails and you won't have to worry.
And Finally, you're already sitting so far forward that you will practically flip off your darn machine if you hit a a little ditch, so what is the problem with reaching another couple of inches?

·
Registered
412 Posts
doobasher said:

First of all I can't believe your sled goes through deep snow! What did you do put on 100's of dollars in aftermarket parts like new skis, track, and beaver tail elimination kit? Secondly, stay on the trails and you won't have to worry.
And Finally, you're already sitting so far forward that you will practically flip off your darn machine if you hit a a little ditch, so what is the problem with reaching another couple of inches?
[snapback]275873[/snapback]​
Just because Revcrazy doesn't have to ride in four feet of fresh pow pow to keep his machine from overheating doesn't mean you need to get on his case! Revcrazy if you are on the trail in fresh pow it should not be that deep that your headlights get covered that quick, but if you are off trail doobasher may be right if you hit something under the snow you will be in for a world of hurt.

·
Registered
745 Posts
revcrazy said:
When riding in deep snow my headlights get quickly covered by snow- does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this? Are any aftermarket lens covers designed to eliminate this?
[snapback]275795[/snapback]​
Deep snow?
What's that?
I WISH I had snow deep enough to cover my headlights,. What are you complaining about?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Nice first post doobasher. As for the headlight problem, hmm, hook up a wiper.
Or perhaps some of that rainx crap or something, so it doesn't stick. who knows?

·
Registered
41 Posts
revcrazy said:
It would be a good idea to run in daylight when moving that much snow.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
OK, somebody yank this doobasher guy, please...
On topic, I just went thru this today, a couple hours ago, actually, snowing real bad and I was late getting back home. You hit one drift and it's lights out. I didn't think we got that much snow, but it sure made things dark in a hurry. Not good if your in the deep and you've got to keep your momentum up and stay out of a ditch that you know is there but can't see.
Anyway, I wound up stuck real bad, but that one wasn't the headlights fault. My worse stuck day yet, had to get my buddy to rescue me with a shovel, the second time.
On the brighter side, we've got lotsa snow now...

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
headlight shouldn't matter unless you are talking about riding powder at night. Let go of the handlebar with your left hand and reach forward with a left to right motion brushing the snow off the lens does seem to work for me.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
the only real way to prevent it is to stay on groomed trails other wise your doing ther only thing you can and brusing it off

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hawk53 said:
revcrazy said:

[snapback]275952[/snapback]​
I agree. and hopefully you don't ride alone an night in the powder, but even in a group you could be in for a long night if you all got stuck, which seems really probable with that sled in deep powder.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
steinbo said:
Hawk53 said:
revcrazy said:

[snapback]275952[/snapback]​
I agree. and hopefully you don't ride alone an night in the powder, but even in a group you could be in for a long night if you all got stuck, which seems really probable with that sled in deep powder.
[snapback]276359[/snapback]​
I also agree it's not good to ride alone, at night, especially in today's conditions here. Our group has an end-of-day break up arrangment, we all call the guy who should be getting home first, when we get home. We all have cell phones. When we break up, we're not more than 5 miles or so from home. I was retracing my broken trail from morning, but the wind and snow today was worse than I thought, and the snow drifted differently than it has all along this winter. And my carbides took a serious beating because once I did get out I went straight up the highway to get home, about 5 miles or so. There was a lot of snow on the road, but not enough to keep the runners off the pavement. Anyway, I'm sore all over and about to hit the hay. And the leaning over and wiping with my left hand was what I was doing, kind of tricky when your plowing thru drifts though...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Other than the doobasher jackass, I cant believe we all ride REV`s(this is a rev forum) and so few have had thier lights go out when going through a snow bank. ns503, I couldnt have said any of that better myself. I just came in from a ride and almost got buried in a ditch when my lights got covered with snow. We have been hoping for snow for so long now, I guess Mother Nature is making up for lost time. Hehe. The only real solution would be clear molded covers with a steep angle and no undercuts for snow to catch and pack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts