Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Tug Hill tomorrow. Storm pooped out here in PA, so I got my registration today and booked a room at the Montague Inn. If any easterners are heading to "the Hill" or Old Forge, maybe we can hook up to ride. Any suggestions from anyone who has been there as to where the riding is best. I check out a few sights up there, but would like to get info from personal knowledge. If anyone is interested in a "Dootalker ride" email me at [email protected]
Nut

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do they even have enough snow. I would say that as long as you stay on the hill you wont have to worry about hitting rocks and other debris that will damage your sled. Up on the hill is all just seasonal roads that should be okay as long as they have enough snow. If not you will be hitting all those pebbles and stuff like that because they are seaonal dirt roads. What do you know about the conditions. Maybe I would head up if they had enough. Last time I checked on absolutesnowmobile.com they didn't. Good luck

·
Registered
448 Posts
i rode there a couple weeks ago, before the heat wave.
everything around the montage was good.
get off the main trails and it went down hill fast.
if they have more snow your gonna love it!!
get the big green free map thats in all the stops, the trails are well marked and
the map was acurate.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Suggestions ! Don't go unless you speak to someone who lives there an get an honest opinion.All reports I hear aren't good
But depends on how desperate you are to ride.

Rich

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
pasnownut said:
I'm heading to Tug Hill tomorrow. Storm pooped out here in PA, so I got my registration today and booked a room at the Montague Inn. If any easterners are heading to "the Hill" or Old Forge, maybe we can hook up to ride. Any suggestions from anyone who has been there as to where the riding is best. I check out a few sights up there, but would like to get info from personal knowledge. If anyone is interested in a "Dootalker ride" email me at [email protected]
Nut

[snapback]308214[/snapback]​
I would call someone up there first. I heard that it's not that good long ride to BUMP hill for no snow! good luck.
SNOW DANCE

·
Registered
541 Posts
i live about 25 minutes away from montague... and we have about 5 inches of fresh snow but the trails are still not as good as they were this time last year. If i were you i would cancel the trips and schedule it for next year when we might actually have some of our recod snowfall. That's a long way to drive for crappy ungroomed trails.

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
Ice_Man_7c said:
i live about 25 minutes away from montague... and we have about 5 inches of fresh snow but the trails are still not as good as they were this time last year. If i were you i would cancel the trips and schedule it for next year when we might actually have some of our recod snowfall. That's a long way to drive for crappy ungroomed trails.
[snapback]308288[/snapback]​
Ice Man is correct. If you plan on coming up, leave the sled home and just plan on drinking. Let me know where you'll be and maybe we could have a cold one. We rode 2 weeks ago tonight and it sucked then. Since then we've had the heat wave and the trails were all dirt and rocks - not even good enough to call snirt. The snow we got last night wasn't even good snow, and there wasn't much of it. I'm 10 miles from Barnes Corners and I drive a lot for work. Today I went over The Hill, past Martys (Houseville) past the base of Timberview, through C-ville, and over to Rome. I can tell you there is no where up here with snow. I hate to say it, and we'd love to have you come and spend your $$$, but you really should know what to expect before you get here.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are saying between 6-8" and still snowing as of 8:00 pm. We are desperate to ride so were giving it a go. They are panning the trails tonight in hopes that they will set up with the cold temps. They might get a little more tomorrow night as well. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I called the Montague and they had 6 sledder come in from a ride and called the trails fair to good. When you have nothing, something sounds better...and hopefully good enough. One snow guage showed 10", so hopefully it will be ok. My first trip and I cant wait. I'll by any Dootalker a beer (when I find out where to drink)

email me at [email protected] if you want to hook up and I'll give you my cell number. Or call the Montague and ask for Erik Lagaza's room # and leave your telephone number for me to call.
Nut
Erik

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
When are you headed up? I like your attitude! And since its February already, there sure is time to change any broken parts. Hopefully it'll be good for you. You are staying at the right place. The trail from Montague to Flatrock to The Tug Hill Inn is normally the most snow covered triangle on The Hill. If you're coming down Rector Road towards Montague from the Flatrock end, BE CAREFUL. The trail runs pretty well straight then, without much warning, you'll crest a knoll and it's an immediate hard right hand turn. Being a local we know where it’s at but there usually some plastic in the trees around there. Sure hate to see anyone wreck a vacation. There is a SMALL sign just before you get there saying "sharp Curve" or something, but you really have to be looking for it. Other than that enjoy the trip.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Drive right past tug hill, cross the border at the 1000 islands and go to quebec and ride excellent trails. I wouldnt waste my time driving all that to beat up my equipment riding on icy,rocky snirt and standing water. The extra hours to quebec are well worth it if you want to ride on snow

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
MX-Z Man said:
Ice_Man_7c said:
[snapback]308288[/snapback]​
Ice Man is correct. If you plan on coming up, leave the sled home and just plan on drinking. Let me know where you'll be and maybe we could have a cold one. We rode 2 weeks ago tonight and it sucked then. Since then we've had the heat wave and the trails were all dirt and rocks - not even good enough to call snirt. The snow we got last night wasn't even good snow, and there wasn't much of it. I'm 10 miles from Barnes Corners and I drive a lot for work. Today I went over The Hill, past Martys (Houseville) past the base of Timberview, through C-ville, and over to Rome. I can tell you there is no where up here with snow. I hate to say it, and we'd love to have you come and spend your $$$, but you really should know what to expect before you get here.
[snapback]308319[/snapback]​
Up there last Friday and it blew chunks. Bring your wheelers, you'd be better off.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Im sure you can "ride" but it wont be good!!!!!!!!! Some seat time is about it! Sorry but being honest. Im 30 minutes from Montegue (by sled) and I wont be riding this weekend. They are calling for a bit more snow tomorrow night into Saturday, maybe (like every other time) the weatherman can be wrong and it will be a lot!!!!!!!! If they get out with the groomers this snow will pack better than the foot we had 2 weeks ago. GOOD LUCK RIDE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
You might as well stop in Rome at the doo dealer on the way up and buy yourself about 16 sets of runners....otherwise, have fun!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MX Z man, I am coming tomorrow night. You got a brew on me bro! The heck w/ the naysayers, I'm coming (just kiddin-while I don't like to hear bad reports, I appreciate the honesty gang) I think you Tuggers are just spoiled w/ that 200-300" that you get. Here in southern PA, 6" is plenty rideable as we get 45" on average (10" so far this year
). Heck come on down and look at the fields after a storm that size, there are tracks everywhere. When there is snow, we ride!! That's why they call the hyfax and carbides..replaceable!!
I'm not interested in beating up my machine, but like said earlier, if the groomers get out like I'm told they were, they can pack this wet snow down and hopefully it will hold up thru Sunday anyway. Wish me luck.
Nut

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
It will be rideable. But not good by any means. Zip over over to Winowna and ride the seasonal roads as they are usually ALWAYS groomed and perfect, with less traffic than the rest of the hill...Although it would be a MIGHTY long trek from MONtague with only 6-8'' of new snow they got...but hey, riding is riding...

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
04rev600sdi said:
mx-z man did he say tuggers we can meet there i ll bring the tundra

i may stop up to tuggers for a brew or two tommorrow night
[snapback]308714[/snapback]​
OH NO! Not the Tundra! Bring the Race Elan for this trip.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys tell me where to meet and I'm there. Yep, first round or maybe even two, on me. Is Tuggers the name of a bar? Sounds fitting if so. Thanks for all the advice. Call my cell if you want to meet up. 717-475-9479. If I don't get coverage up there, call the Montague and leave a message for me. Ok, now I'm getting excited. God, I love snowmobiling!!

Erik
(Nut )

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
You guys are nuts. You should spend your time driving to VT where they actually got snow and the trails might be worth riding. Let us know how things go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts