Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If u have how fast do u guys go? Im thinkin about doin it but im not sure....How much does it cost around each race to enter??? how much money does it cost u to git a sled and fix it up to how u like it? Do you think its safe enough for a 15 yr old to try? Ive done go kart racing in the past and that use to go about 60 mph...thas about it...is it close to that???..i live right on the lake and when WE GET ENOUGH SNOW
i would like to plow a little track out there to practice...I know someone who does it and he loves it...but he is also in is late 20s so i belive he could take the pain..If u guys know that would be awsome..
Thanx

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I've never done it, but talked to several people who've worked on teams for the I-500. I'm not sure if you can enter at 15, but I know there are some pretty young riders. The main thing is you need some deep pockets. Most of those guys start with an awesome new sled to begin with, take it apart and put it all back together with better parts and mods, then you need almost another whole sled (motor, suspension, everything) sitting there in the parts pile, and a good mechanic to set everything up right, and be able to change any part in a few minutes... Truck, enclosed trailers... even if you're already into snowmobiling and have a nice truck, big enclosed trailer, and a fast sled, I would guess you'd need at least $10K to get ready and run a competitive sled and have enough spares to finish the race. The guy who wins probably spends way more than that. The race entry fee is peanuts compared to sled prep and parts... That would probably be a lot less if you owned your own shop or something, but most people who race out of their shops do it for themselves and their family/friends and it would be hard to walk in and get a job as a rider. Maybe there are other ovals that you could get into for less, but I've only heard about people running the I-500 and it sounds expensive.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!! now that got me thinkin.... im not too sure about doin it now...thanx for the info

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you are just sstarting out, I would suggest truing vintage racing, or the vintage one lunger racing. Pick up a decent old racer, key word being old, and go have some fun.
Otherwise, like was mentioned before, I hope you have some real deep pockets.
But give it a try! Start out in the shorter sprint races, stock classes, small engine sizes, first. and build up from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts