Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried just about every adjustment I can think of to stop this thing from pushing in the corners. I have the stock skis, Bergstrom skegs, shimmed, with outer carbides.(This setup works great on my 121 inch sleds) On hard packed trails this thing turns great, but on loose snow or fresh powder it pushes bad. I'm aware of the drawbacks of the longer track, but would different skis help on the loose snow?

I'm looking for feedback on this ski on a Renegade. Pros and Cons?

Thanks

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,428 Posts
I can go on an on (no really I can) about getting my 1.75 144 studded gade to turn to my liking. I have started many a thread looking for answers...........

First thing.........GET RID OF THOSE BERGSTROM SKEGS FROM THE CENTER and move them to the outside They are nothing more than super durable wear rods that will last longer than the energizer bunny.

Second thing..........if you don't want to invest much money get yourself some 7.5 shapers......if you don't mind spending a little (like $200) and are looking for a better ski get a set of Pilot 6.9 mountain sport skis and put the shapers in the center and put the "other" wear rods on the outside........after drilling out and re-attaching the handles from your other pilots to them with bolts............enjoy!

I've always ran the original simmons flexi ski on all my sleds prior to the xp so I'm no help there. But I did love that ski and but imagine anything working any better and with such easy effort as the 6.9's.............I've got a ton of ski pressure dialed on mine and they still turn easy........and talk about holding your line! I even have my transfer block backed off now and still corner like you dream about......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to try the Shapers on my 5.7's. What advantage are the 6.9's on a groomed trail? I do understand why they would be better in deeper powder. Do they have a center keel like the 5.7's? Just wider? It's usually that fresh 6+" of snow on a groomed trail that gives this thing fits. For me, those are the funnest conditions to ride in.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,428 Posts
Not sure but I think the 6.9's are not only wider, but longer, and have a 1/4" deeper keel. They work very, very well and with the rocker design of them it does take more to make them float but that means on trail they cut deeper so the fluff on top of the hard pack or ice is less of a problem.........and once you put a shaper bar on them they dig even deeper......

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just took the 8" triple points off my 14' gade 800x and installed 7.5" shapers In the center and I have 6" on the outsides. I will let you know if the push is resolved and if the sled finally turns and handles the way it should.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just took the 8" triple points off my 14' gade 800x and installed 7.5" shapers In the center and I have 6" on the outsides. I will let you know if the push is resolved and if the sled finally turns and handles the way it should.
Guaranteed to work! If not, then u dont have your sag set properly? ( youll never get all the push our of the 5.7s)

Shapers are 1 of the best set ups on the 5.7s.

Its still not the cats meow though!

Get some 6.9s, or C&As. Put some shapers on em, and go enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of great Ideas here guys. Thanks. I think different skis will be my last resort. But if I put new skis on, I would lean towards the the 6.9 mountain sport.

I ordered some shaper bars to try on my 5.7's. I will test these out for the rest of the season. (that looks like until June the way the weather is!) I have left my settings the same, so hopefully I can tell the difference.

Anyone using the Simmons Ski on a Renegade?

A good friend who has been in the snowmobile business for years, keeps telling me I need these skis, but he rides Yamaha's and Cats so I am questioning his judgement! I would like to hear from someone that has them on their Renegade first before I get new skis.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Try your 02 precision skis on your Renegade. I run precisions with 2 - 6" carbides on each ski. Excellent on groomed trail. Prolly not the best in powder, but definitely better than the pilots. Give them a try..

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am running the Precision's (They are very similar profile to that of the original Gen 1's I think.) on my 137 FreeRide - They are very good on the trails (I don't get any push or uneasy feeling and I have a 2 1/4 lug.). They also work really well in the crusty field snow - they could be a bit wider for powder but still work ok and overall a great ski for that sled - IMO.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am running the gen 1 simmons on my reny. 1.3" cobra track, no studs

couple things:

1. I had to shim them to get even wear on the carbide. 1/4" shim

2. I run cheap 6in carbides, I think they were $40 a pair, (2) pairs req'd for this ski setup

3. they bite very hard with zero darting. I was able to back way off the ski pressure compared to stock skis. transfer blocks on 1, limiter strap tightened 1 hole from full loose.

4. great at high speed sweeping corners, still fighting some inside ski lift on really tight twisty trails.

5. they hold their line like nothing else I've ridden

6. I like them!

7. I don't understand why people think they should have a sled that turns as well in powdery trails as it does on hard pack, just aint going to happen.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I am running the Precision's (They are very similar profile to that of the original Gen 1's I think.) on my 137 FreeRide - They are very good on the trails (I don't get any push or uneasy feeling and I have a 2 1/4 lug.). They also work really well in the crusty field snow - they could be a bit wider for powder but still work ok and overall a great ski for that sled - IMO.
OMG precisions have to be the worst ski ever on a rider forward sled, thought they were going to kill me on the rev with their lack of bite inthe corner.

I wish my freeride had 6.9's but I've finally come to terms with the DS's.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have run simmons gen 1 skis on all my Yamaha apex's, loved them, no darting and turned well. The only downside is its harder to turn at low speeds. I run 2 - 6" carbides on each so kinda expected it. I have heard that they make Skidoos even harder to turn but never tried them on my skidoos since the 5.7's are so much better than stock Yamaha skis.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am debating between the Pilot 6.9's and the C&A XTX skis. Pilots can be had for less money, but on my last REV Renegade I had C&A Razors and loved them.

How are the 6.9"s in deep snow?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put c and a xt's on my 14 renx... Riding on rails is an understatement. Good for this season due to the loose powder conditions all winter. Could be a different story next year. My buddy has Simmons and likes them. He used to run xt's on his other sled. Said the Simmons are less aggressive but pretty good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts