Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden every sled out there and finally bought myself a 2011 Summit X 600 E-Tec. I did not want electric start and loved the way the showroom sled started in one easy pull. However, my sled does not start in one pull when it's been run for a while. Cold start is one pull. Warm start is 2 or more pulls depending on how long it's been sitting. I am female and am good for about 3 - 4 pulls, after that I have to get a man to start it which I hate (no offence). I rode an 800 E-Tec and started it all day, every time in one pull so I know that I can pull hard enough. The dealer is stumped and has been in contact with Skidoo, who they say are also stumped. Their fix is to put electric start on it which is NOT what I want. Has anyone else heard of this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Spark plugs improperly install. Itll still tun but if not installed correctly it wont start on the first pull like it suppost to

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the same issue with my 09 600 etec. Starts great cold, starts great if it is shut off and then re started within 2-3 minutes. If I wait more than 5 minuets it is hard to start, need to give it some throttle and then it slowly comes to life. This only happens at altitude 8-10,000 feet, in the flatland of Minnesota no problem. I would love to hear if anyone else has this issue. I am totally stumped.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Kind of sounds like either the injectors are leaking, which I doubt or what ever signals the amount of enrichment for starting is sending too strong a signal when hot starting...

I have one, but have not experienced the issue (I have electric start and it probably spins it fast and long enough to over come the issue.

I would expect maybe the ambient temperature sensor.. mounted in the inlet tube must no be warming up enough when the sled sits or is calibrated wrong. Or it is getting a wrong signal from the engine temperature or muffler..temp sensors. Engine maybe telling it that it is cool.. or muffler maybe sending an over temp signal telling it to richen. I would think a technician that has been to doo's school on etec's should be able to diagnois.. it. And or have your dealer call skidoo and turn in a claim number with the issue. I don't think the majority of the 600 Etec's with rope starts have starting issues when warm.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Kind of sounds like either the injectors are leaking, which I doubt or what ever signals the amount of enrichment for starting is sending too strong a signal when hot starting...

I have one, but have not experienced the issue (I have electric start and it probably spins it fast and long enough to over come the issue.

I would expect maybe the ambient temperature sensor.. mounted in the inlet tube must no be warming up enough when the sled sits or is calibrated wrong. Or it is getting a wrong signal from the engine temperature or muffler..temp sensors. Engine maybe telling it that it is cool.. or muffler maybe sending an over temp signal telling it to richen. I would think a technician that has been to doo's school on etec's should be able to diagnois.. it. And or have your dealer call skidoo and turn in a claim number with the issue. I don't think the majority of the 600 Etec's with rope starts have starting issues when warm.

Ok, I see where Ranchrider's dealer has already contacted doo trying to figure it out. I would contact doo myself and get a claim number, I would ask the person to get with someone in Doo's product engineering that is involved with calibrating the 600 etec... they should be able to chase that person down. There is someone within Doo engineering that knows the issue and what to do about it.

Approaching it on my own... If I were going to try and debug it. I would start with the temp sensor in the muffler. Pull it out and hang in besides the muffler... of course you have to plug the hole in the muffler. Run it and see if it starts in one pull when it is hot. This is basically only and over temp device that tends to put the engine in limp mode if it is too hot... so there is no issue with running it out of the muffler for a while. It is also easy to get at... but remember when removing it is a fragile piece, treat it with respect, the same when reinstalling. I think they sell for about $206 if you were damage it and be responsible.

Next I would look at the temp sensor probe in the inlet tube. This one is bit harder to get at... but can be done... the issue with this.. I would only pull it out when you stop and let it hang in warm engine compartment ... until you wait 10 to 15 minutes to try and start it. If it starts easily when warm, then you know this is the problem. Don't ride the sled with this temp sensor in warm air.. as that will tend to lean out the fuel mixture.. not good when the air is really on the cool side. Just do this for starting test... and immediately reinstall it. Next I would go to the coolant temperature sensor in the engine. I would pull it out and test it per the service manual.

But if you or your dealer can get thru the claims reporter .. and get them to find the right engineer at Ski-Doo, he should be able to solve the issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the exact same problem! Word for word. Starts great cold but warm is a different story, mine is curently in at the dealer getting checked for codes and whatever else they can find. Ill let u know if they succeed with mine.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I agree with DJM some thing maybe telling the computer the engine is cold and adding fuel.On most cars the temp sensor controls this signal,some use a wax pellet.Not sure on the etc but a trained dealer tec should be able to fine this.Mine is electric start and no problems.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is an old post, but what was the solution? My 2016 600 e-tec is doing this exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
28,081 Posts
Low Fuel Pressure, Faulty Air Temperature Sensor, Low compression, faulty injector. It is worth a trip to the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts