Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think it was normal for my sled to numerous pulls to start until i went riding with my friend who has almost the exact same sled, his started fine in a lot less pulls than mine. Ive also noticed that when i first take off, it has to get really high in rpms and smokes a lot before it will even move. Also, if it isnt warmed up enough, it will just suddenly die for power after first take off. Once i have ridden for a bit it has plenty of power and takes off like normal. The other reason i made this post is because i recently went riding and shut my sled up to fill it with gas. It was barely shut off for more than 8 mins tops, but when i went to start it took more than one pull and i had to give it gas to get it to go. I did a little reading on hard starts and what i got out of it was that it could be an air leak at several different areas. I am pretty new to sledding so any input would be appreciated! Btw my sled is a 2002 skidoo MXZ Sport 600. I recently put new carb boots on it, it has less than 300 miles on plugs, i cleaned carbs at the beginning of the year and rave valves as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you can check the compression and post it would help.
When warm both of my sleds need a little throttle and they start pretty good.
Also check your choke to make sure it is opening the plungers all the way up.
If someone has ever changed the choke lever they may have installed a shorter throw lever.
This would be like cold starting at half choke.
That if your motor has the mikuni flat slide carbs

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have the same sled, but a 700 and my sled runs mint, but i have a hard start problem too. Im pretty sure after reading and already replacing everything ive realized it has to be the reeds. My Vfrorce3's are a bit worn now and they dont seal 100%

Im damn near certain its these, so take a look at yours and you may have the same problem. Replace the reed flaps and i bet it solves the problem.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
No you don't have to change anything to put the V Force reeds in, but I would also look at the Boyesen Rage cage set up, they use aluminum boots with a little rubber on them. What is your compression?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok if i get time ill look into them. so with the aluminum boots the advantage is you wouldnt have to change them due to them drying out?? it was 106 on one side and 110 on the other. that was around 70 degrees in my garage and with the engine warm because it had been sitting for while

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
Yes the advantage is not having a rubber boot to rot, but I think there still is a bit of rubber on them. Those comp #s sound low. Not sure how your doing the test but if you go to the top of the page and look under the "how To" section there is a good write up on how to do it, as per Bill Cudneys(Cudney Racing) instructions.

The low compression might be why its hard to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts