Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 formula 583.I rebuilt the top part of the engine because a scored cylinder.im having a hard time starting it when it does start it seems to run good but once it shuts down and cools off have to pull the crap out of it to get it to start again.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
What compression readings are you getting cold/warm.

Also, how long since carbs, fuel pump etc. have been cleaned/rebuilt?

Also, is your primer definitely working correctly? You'll feel the pressure as you pump it, if it is.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
97's had either/or, right?

So does this have a choke/enricher or primer?

I've had rebuilds that were hard to start until they ran a few times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the carbs were cleaned not rebuilt just before starting it has a primer not a choke the onl thing i think may be affecting it is the compression it is 110.

·
Registered
37 Posts
110 is no where near enough to run that engine. As it gets hotter the compression can actually go down a little. Something else is wrong there. Pull apart and have cylinders checked to see how worn they are. You said rebuilt? New pistons and rings? Not being smart but some people would say rebuilt and have only taken it apart and cleaned up and changed gaskets.

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
I use a squirt bottle for hair dye and give each carb a good squirt. This way the fuel has time to flow through the intake track and crank chambers to mix with the air. Two or three pulls and it starts. If it doesn't then I check the plugs firing with a magnifying glass to make sure the spark isn't passing right by the center electrode.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I had one rebuild read low on the compression, but after running it for an hour or so it measured just fine. Mine was 115 psi and went up to 130 after the mini-break in.

110 is low, and like mbret2004 said, it almost sounds like the rings are upside down. They are slightly beveled on one side and that bevel needs to be up. Some have the dot, some have "up" written on them, and I've seen some without anything at all. I usually place them on a flat level surface and just look for the bevel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts