Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 25 + years we're calling it quits. We were going to do a partial season but got the trail closure list for our area and finalized it. Thanks for all we learned here, will still check in from time to time. Wife is retiring (that will make both of us) and we have more than enough hobbies. Hope you get all the snow you want and need and have a safe season.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Trail closures have impacted our sport locally also. Winters aren't what they used to be either, prices for everything are insane. Lots of people moving to other hobbies. I understand completely. I thought about it myself..with that being said I quickly realized that quitting, for me, is not an option. Nope. Been riding since I had to ride in front of my folks now I'm 53 and still keep after it. It's a passion I won't give up but I do respect others who move on. For me, besides trout fishing, riding is IT. Best of luck to you and your good fortune to have a life that's plentiful, enjoy your retirement.

·
Registered
956 Posts
i can understand people moving on to something else with the weather changes, cost of everything involved. i myself ride a lot less than i used to. but stopping totally in my case is barely impossible....i guess it's in my blood... reading your post has every time been a pleasure filled with honest comments. Don't forget were still here... feel welcome to drop by with your 2 cent's .... may health be a part of your future...(y)(y)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wife and I have this retirement thing figured out----She goes back and forth to Florida, I go back and forth in the snow belts.

Summer time is when we do our retirement stuff together.

Again Saluda--Stay healthy and enjoy your retirement.

Don~
I left Michigan at 17 years old. 40 years later I decided to move back full time. I lived all over the south east in that 40 years. Including in Florida for living and working. I'm not a fan of Florida. It's not political either. It's mostly the weather and maybe a little "Florida man". There are A LOT of them! I don't know the stats exactly, but every time I go there I witness a lot of crime, and it doesn't matter where I go there. And then there's the drivers. I think all of the worst Michigan drivers end up in Florida, and that's saying something. Because there is still a lot of them here!

·
Super Moderator
31,693 Posts
I left Michigan at 17 years old. 40 years later I decided to move back full time. I lived all over the south east in that 40 years. Including in Florida for living and working. I'm not a fan of Florida. It's not political either. It's mostly the weather and maybe a little "Florida man". There are A LOT of them! I don't know the stats exactly, but every time I go there I witness a lot of crime, and it doesn't matter where I go there. And then there's the drivers. I think all of the worst Michigan drivers end up in Florida, and that's saying something. Because there is still a lot of them here!
I always say my favorite thing about going to Florida is THEY LET ME LEAVE!

I can honestly say not once have we ever left Florida and I've thought "I can't wait to come back". The only reason we go is we have a lot of friends down there, otherwise I'd never go back again.

I am looking forward to a trip to the southwest next Spring.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Agree with your post. Notice I said the wife goes down to Florida---Not me.

She flies to Florida, Her Mother picks her up and spends all her time at the Beach House. (At least that's what she tells me.)

Don~

·
Super Moderator
6,438 Posts
All the best to you and your wife in retirement! I retired just shy of my 58th birthday and only sorry I didn't go sooner! I think you will really enjoy it... especially if you have lots of hobbies.

It will be a year in January since I retired. I'm busier now than when I worked... and I was pretty busy when I worked! LOL

I couldn't wait until I retired so I could ride during the week when the trails were smooth and the traffic was lighter. I did get to do some of that last season but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I'm hoping for better weather this winter for mid-week riding. But with the 6 - 10 hour trailering I need to do so I can ride now that winters suck, I will probably get out of this sport in a couple years.

I don't know what you guys have against Florida. It's 6:30 am and I'm sitting on my lanai drinking coffee.... the temp is 70 degrees..... watching the sun rise. This is pretty much the routine every day in the winter when we are not back north riding. If you have never been to southwest Florida and the Gulf Coast, it's a lot different than the east coast. I've been a Florida resident for almost 13 years now and have no regrets. I have been to 49 of the 50 states and I can say it is a lot better than many other places.... but there are a lot of nice places in this country.

Plant Sky Cloud Window Nature

During the summer months when it is hot down in Florida, we have been traveling for 2 - 3 months in our motorhome. We have been going out west the past couple years. We have been hitting a lot of National Parks out west and this year we also did the Annual Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. We actually went up in a hot air balloon for about an hour and it was very cool.

Next summer we are taking the motorhome up to Alaska.... that will be my 50th state. Late next May we leave and will hit some National Parks in California and then work our way up the west coast and on to Alaska. We'll be gone until about Labor Day.

We ride our bikes almost every morning.... take the dog for a walk.... hit the beach now and then.... and ride the Spyder down here. Happy Hour and live music on the water starts at a lot of places as early as 11AM!

The plan was to buy a boat in about 1 - 2 years once we were done traveling in the motorhome and ready to sell it. We sold our boat when we bought the motorhome several years ago. But a dock slip opened up at our marina in July so we said "what the hell" and bought a boat sooner than we planned. We are a 5 minute walk to our marina on a river at the mouth of the Gulf of Mexico so boating is a way of life in these parts. Life is too short so we figured why wait.

·
Super Moderator
31,693 Posts
All the best to you and your wife in retirement! I retired just shy of my 58th birthday and only sorry I didn't go sooner! I think you will really enjoy it... especially if you have lots of hobbies.

It will be a year in January since I retired. I'm busier now than when I worked... and I was pretty busy when I worked! LOL

I couldn't wait until I retired so I could ride during the week when the trails were smooth and the traffic was lighter. I did get to do some of that last season but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I'm hoping for better weather this winter for mid-week riding. But with the 6 - 10 hour trailering I need to do so I can ride now that winters suck, I will probably get out of this sport in a couple years.

I don't know what you guys have against Florida. It's 6:30 am and I'm sitting on my lanai drinking coffee.... the temp is 70 degrees..... watching the sun rise. This is pretty much the routine every day in the winter when we are not back north riding. If you have never been to southwest Florida and the Gulf Coast, it's a lot different than the east coast. I've been a Florida resident for almost 13 years now and have no regrets. I have been to 49 of the 50 states and I can say it is a lot better than many other places.... but there are a lot of nice places in this country.

View attachment 2010052

During the summer months when it is hot down in Florida, we have been traveling for 2 - 3 months in our motorhome. We have been going out west the past couple years. We have been hitting a lot of National Parks out west and this year we also did the Annual Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. We actually went up in a hot air balloon for about an hour and it was very cool.

Next summer we are taking the motorhome up to Alaska.... that will be my 50th state. Late next May we leave and will hit some National Parks in California and then work our way up the west coast and on to Alaska. We'll be gone until about Labor Day.

We ride our bikes almost every morning.... take the dog for a walk.... hit the beach now and then.... and ride the Spyder down here. Happy Hour and live music on the water starts at a lot of places as early as 11AM!

The plan was to buy a boat in about 1 - 2 years once we were done traveling in the motorhome and ready to sell it. We sold our boat when we bought the motorhome several years ago. But a dock slip opened up at our marina in July so we said "what the hell" and bought a boat sooner than we planned. We are a 5 minute walk to our marina on a river at the mouth of the Gulf of Mexico so boating is a way of life in these parts. Life is too short so we figured why wait.
That picture says a lot of what's wrong with Florida, way too many people way too close!

I do agree the Gulf coast is nicer than the Atlantic coast - still wasaay too over populated for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts