Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 MXZ 440 and I want to put handlebar risers on it, BUT I do not have the slightest clue how to get my warmers out of the inside of my bars. And once I buy a new set of bars from the dealer, will they have the holes in the centre like the stock ones, so i can put them back in??
Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dickie said:
I have a '97 MXZ 440 and I want to put handlebar risers on it, BUT I do not have the slightest clue how to get my warmers out of the inside of my bars. And once I buy a new set of bars from the dealer, will they have the holes in the centre like the stock ones, so i can put them back in??

[snapback]691198[/snapback]​
Are they glued in the bars? If they are, I would use a heat gun and SLOWLY work them out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0Z2MAN said:
Dickie said:

[snapback]691198[/snapback]​
Are they glued in the bars? If they are, I would use a heat gun and SLOWLY work them out.
[snapback]692005[/snapback]​
Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The wires are inside the bar, but the heating element should be wrapped on the outside of the bar. (somebody jump in if I'm full of it) The grips slide over the element. You should not have trouble peeling these off.

·
Registered
375 Posts
it is sometimes hard to get the rubber grip off but you can razerblade them off if you do not get into the coils. once off they should just peel off if you do it gently enough, if you cant get started use the razer blade and gently slide under coils.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
01800SummitHighmarkX said:
it is sometimes hard to get the rubber grip off but you can razerblade them off if you do not get into the coils. once off they should just peel off if you do it gently enough, if you cant get started use the razer blade and gently slide under coils.
[snapback]693866[/snapback]​
So will the coils slide in through the bars and out the holes by my bar mounts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Summithighmark was speaking about getting the grips off. Your heating elements are under the grips wrapped around the bar. To get the grips off you can heat them up with a hair dryer or heat gun and try to work them off. Some guys also used compressed air to blow under the lip and that helps loosen them. Once you get a grip off the heating elements will seem pretty straight forward. I have had my grips off a couple times and other than a small scuff on one have always reused them without any trouble.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
macker said:
Summithighmark was speaking about getting the grips off. Your heating elements are under the grips wrapped around the bar. To get the grips off you can heat them up with a hair dryer or heat gun and try to work them off. Some guys also used compressed air to blow under the lip and that helps loosen them. Once you get a grip off the heating elements will seem pretty straight forward. I have had my grips off a couple times and other than a small scuff on one have always reused them without any trouble.
[snapback]694520[/snapback]​
Yes I understand what summithighmark was talking about, but after i get the grips off, can i just peel the elements off and slide them through the inside of the bars and out the holes my my handlebar mounts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sorry about that, I misunderstood your question. Ahh I don't know, never changed bars. I do know you can just cut the wires and splice them. Thats what you do when an element pukes. I also use shrink tube on electrical splices like that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
macker said:
Sorry about that, I misunderstood your question. Ahh I don't know, never changed bars. I do know you can just cut the wires and splice them. Thats what you do when an element pukes. I also use shrink tube on electrical splices like that.
[snapback]695355[/snapback]​
No prob. thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I am going to put on a ROX 3.5 inch pivot riser on, from what i hear, i should have enough length in my throttle cable and brake lines. so hopefully i wont have to put extensions on.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts