Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I found some awsome powder the other day on my summit rev. I finally was able to notice that snow will flow right up the windshield and straight into my helmet. So instead of getting a low profile one or even cutting the stocker I just took the thing off. I have a riser and even with the windshield on the tips of my gloves freeze. They get a ice crust buildup, plus even with my handwarmers my hands sometimes are really cold. So I have acouple ?'s about handguards.

1. Do they really protect your hands from the cold?
2. Any drawbacks to using them?
3. Which brand or setup is the best? Do they make a set that will install easily? I don't want to worry about moving the controls. I have also seen that some guys have problems on the throttle side not being able to go wot due to the bracket in the way.

What have you guys done?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got Powermadd guards on my sled now with the Powermadd mounts. I've never had any problem with WTO, or them getting in my way. Yes, they help protect your hands. I broke one of my guards off one day and that hand started getting cold. I've also used the Acerbis guards on my other sled. Never had either of the two brands break. The Powermadds are alot more stout though. I went over my bars one day and bent the bolt that connects the guard to the mounts. I bent it at a 90 degree angle, it was sticking straight forward. I bent it back in place and rode on. A few weeks ago I got stuck, and rolled it over to get it out of the hole. The guard that i bent broke off right where it had bent before. You could tell it was fatigued, and I'm using soft grade bolts. With my set up I don't see how I could break one of my gaurds, the bolt would break before the guard.

BTW: If you get the guards, don't tighten them down on the bars. Snug them down so they can pivot if you do roll your sled or something. You can also turn them down if you want to cover your sled.

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
I have the Sport tech handguards with the aluminum mounting brackets. They are easy to install, don't interfere with anything, and do an excellent job of blocking the wind and keeping your hands warm. Now the downside. I bought them because i figured the aluminum mount would be more durable than the plastic mounts some other companies use. But if you slam your head into the bars, they don't give, and they have some finely machined (read sharp) edges that can and will cut you up. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I happen to like the Acerbis but get the aluminum mounts for them.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I happen to like the Acerbis but get the aluminum mounts for them.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts