Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'd like to get some hand guards for my 2014 renegade. I have had some conflicting data on which ones I can use - the generic ones on the skidoo site say that they don't work with a high windshield (Does not fit with medium to ultra high windshields.).

I am actually not sure what size windshield I have - So I have posted a picture below in case someone can help. On a related note I am thinking of getting one of the really small windshields - they look really cool and I'm not sure this bigger one does any good.

Any recos you have on hand guards would be great.

D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have a set of cold guards on my XP which appears to have the exact same shield/windscreen assembly. Everyone has their preferences but the coldguards are soft and velcro on. On my XP the bars hit the shield on an extreme hard turn. If you had fixed guards it wouldnt be a good combo.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The ski doo ones fit with the side deflectors with mirrors, med. windshield and a 2" adjustable riser gives a 1/4 gap to windshield...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
On my 2018 Blizzard (XS chassis) I run Powermadd Star handguards (including add on mirrors) w/ the stock windshield (345mm/13.5" PN 517 304 927). Slight contact w/ windshield on extreme turns.

20200217_121328 Handguards.jpg

I also use the High windshield w/ attached mirrors when riding in northern Ontario (this year being an exception, luckily I had my 'doo muffs packed).

That being said, to haul my sled w/ the cover on, I have to remove the handguards (both the mounts & the handlebar are marked for easy re-installation). How do the BRP handguard fit under the cover? Do the fit under the cover or do you have to remove them?

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Your windshield looks like a medium. On my '21 900T I have the factory Doo handguards that I've used with:

- Medium windshield with side deflectors and mirrors

- High-Ultra High adjustable wind shield with side deflectors and mirrors

I've have no issues with turning etc with the factory doo handguards. I also use the doo muffs when it's extremely cold out; no issues.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was thinking about the skinz hand guards but there pretty pricey. For 1/2 the price I purchased the fusion hand guards. 70 bucks for guards and 70 for mounting hardware. They have a larger surface area than skinz and are super flexible.

Only problem I found with all the hand guards I've ever had on all my machines is they truly don't cover all of your hand. I ride with my hands on the j hooks so I'm only getting coverage a the end of the hand guards which is usually narrower than the middle of the handguard. So I took hardware off and added a 2inch piece of aluminum to extend hand guards out further. Now I'm good to about -15 with Mechanic gloves.

As for the height of the windshield it depends how far forward you have handle bars pushed forward. Also installed Ski-doo mirrors on hand guards
b2cb001bfe635d689d17b0444734a085.jpg

7448d424b78b004c5e4ffe0cbc64c885.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Your windshield appears to be a medium.

I have the same height as you and the OEM handguards rub the windshield a bit when turning to either the left or right extremes. It's not enough to cause concern.

If you go with the low windshield this won't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Not really concerned w/ the contact as it's very slight. I guess you could call the w/s a medium as it's in between the low & high that BRP show in the PAC. No interest in going to a low version.

Rear view w/ the straight bars:

20200318_141027-1.thumb.jpg.b946e112e01f

·
E-Tec Rules
33,573 Posts
774ad467b72f7514dd2526105c84c97e.jpg

·
E-Tec Rules
33,573 Posts
Stock medium windshield. 8" riser with hand guards. Have tilt bars back a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts