Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have to go through burning off that so called chip in the 05 mapping that's reinstalled now. I ran mine right after having the 05 mapping put back in and can only see 117 on the speedo. I was seeing in the low 120's with the 06 mapping. This is runs in the 2000 foot range. I did have to knock my clickers down, because it was reving to 8000. I could sure notice the difference in idling and taking off how much richer it is. I bought it used, so I really didn't get to feel the initial break in feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
I did notice +100 rpm after 05 map put back in,but -2mph.
This does seem strange alright.
The severe engine breaking/pinging noise is also back on decelleration.
Idle went down to 1600rpm, from 2000,but came back after .5hrs.
I need more testing to make a finall result.
Hope it is just the break-in mode.

Anyone else find break-in mode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
ams said:
I did notice +100 rpm after 05 map put back in,but -2mph.
This does seem strange alright.
The severe engine breaking/pinging noise is also back on decelleration.
Idle went down to 1600rpm, from 2000,but came back after .5hrs.
I need more testing to make a finall result.
Hope it is just the break-in mode.

Anyone else find break-in mode?
[snapback]705976[/snapback]​
The dealer that re-installed my 05 mapping said no break-in mode. The conditions have been so mushy it has been hard for me to tell. I will know after this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
gummy said:
The dealer that re-installed my 05 mapping said no break-in mode. The conditions have been so mushy it has been hard for me to tell. I will know after this weekend.
[snapback]706017[/snapback]​
Yup, no breakin on 05 retro-reinstall, so my dealer sezzzzzz to
but after 500 miles since done, no changes.

One thing I've noticed, maybe it's just me, the engine doesn't seem to want to perform until it's completely heat soaked. Like 10 miles heat soaked, then it's a blast!!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
1Gunner said:
gummy said:
The dealer that re-installed my 05 mapping said no break-in mode. The conditions have been so mushy it has been hard for me to tell. I will know after this weekend.
[snapback]706017[/snapback]​
Yup, no breakin on 05 retro-reinstall, so my dealer sezzzzzz to
but after 500 miles since done, no changes.

One thing I've noticed, maybe it's just me, the engine doesn't seem to want to perform until it's completely heat soaked. Like 10 miles heat soaked, then it's a blast!!


[snapback]706043[/snapback]​
I forgot that...... will not pull rpms until completely warmed up..... right 1Gunner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
I have noticed that the temp gauge was indicating 1/2 or higher with the 06 mapping and now that I am back to the 05 mapping it rarely goes over 1/4 (Like last year)

I continue to use the temp sensor resistor trick but have not read about anyone else using it. I am suprised it is not talked about more.....Hot topic last year.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
Soldier said:
I have noticed that the temp gauge was indicating 1/2 or higher with the 06 mapping and now that I am back to the 05 mapping it rarely goes over 1/4 (Like last year)

I continue to use the temp sensor resistor trick but have not read about anyone else using it. I am suprised it is not talked about more.....Hot topic last year.....
[snapback]706779[/snapback]​
Does the resister trick seem to work for you? I really have to hammer on this thing like 8-10 passes when its cold before it will pull the rpms, then it works fine. I was thinking it may be in rich mode until the water temp comes up? Thats what the resister does right? Fools the computer into thinking the sled is warmer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
I have a ice racer/speed runner who tested his sled on 1000 of ice and ran same speed with the 06 box as he did with the 05 map reinstalled on the same day/conditions.

Also posted a dyno run with back to back tests showing exact same HP for both maps.

Just to remind that BRP states the 05 and 06 map is only slightly different on the bottom at start up: there is zero diff on top end performance.

Just a reminder.

Also all the 06 guys on machs are very fast with barely broke in time/miles on them. They also have the 06 maps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
dooit2it said:
I have a ice racer/speed runner who tested his sled on 1000 of ice and ran same speed with the 06 box as he did with the 05 map reinstalled on the same day/conditions.

Also posted a dyno run with back to back tests showing exact same HP for both maps.

Just to remind that BRP states the 05 and 06 map is only slightly different on the bottom at start up: there is zero diff on top end performance.

Just a reminder.

Also all the 06 guys on machs are very fast with barely broke in time/miles on them. They also have the 06 maps.
[snapback]709539[/snapback]​
I know I know, your thinking not this guy again!

Something is different between the two!!!

5 of my riding buddies have gone back to the 05 mapping because the 06 doesn't
pull on top!

When you can't do anything to get the sled over 120mph with over 50 runs on 5 different days and 20 different setups.
then don't change a thing except, put the 05 mapping back in and right away you pull 125's??????
And do so everytime out after the 05 mapping is put back in then what gives?????

Maybe the fuel curve and the timing curves are the same but I am beginning to believe what others have said about the algorithm's for the knock sensors being different between the two mappings.

All I know is between the 6 of us we all agree that we like the 05 mapping better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
gummy said:
ams said:
I did notice +100 rpm after 05 map put back in,but -2mph.
This does seem strange alright.
The severe engine breaking/pinging noise is also back on decelleration.
Idle went down to 1600rpm, from 2000,but came back after .5hrs.
I need more testing to make a finall result.
Hope it is just the break-in mode.

Anyone else find break-in mode?
[snapback]705976[/snapback]​
The dealer that re-installed my 05 mapping said no break-in mode. The conditions have been so mushy it has been hard for me to tell. I will know after this weekend.
[snapback]706017[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
ZRider said:
Soldier said:
I have noticed that the temp gauge was indicating 1/2 or higher with the 06 mapping and now that I am back to the 05 mapping it rarely goes over 1/4 (Like last year)

I continue to use the temp sensor resistor trick but have not read about anyone else using it. I am suprised it is not talked about more.....Hot topic last year.....
[snapback]706779[/snapback]​
Does the resister trick seem to work for you? I really have to hammer on this thing like 8-10 passes when its cold before it will pull the rpms, then it works fine. I was thinking it may be in rich mode until the water temp comes up? Thats what the resister does right? Fools the computer into thinking the sled is warmer?
[snapback]708149[/snapback]​
Yes, the resistor seems to work, but I have not done a lot of testing with it. I do know that my engine temps stay between 1/8 and 1/4 on the gauge when I am running in good snow conditions. Yes the resistor tells the computer that the coolant temp is at about 95 degrees f.

I am suprised that there has not been more discussion about this. Has it been determined to be ineffective?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
Yes the resistor works. But, it only works when the engine is cold and the coolant temp has not reached 70 degrees f. The ECU when first started puts the engine in an enrichment mode to avoid a cold seizure and does not go to max performance mode until coolant temp has reached 70 degrees f. The engine produces more power when the crankcase is cold and the fuel map is at max performance. For trail riding, there is no long term gain when using the resistor. The ECU is programmed so that once you have achieved 70 degrees it will not go into enrichment mode even if coolant temp drops below 70. The ECU will not go back into the cold temp enrichment mode until you shut of your sled and attempt to restart. Hope this helps.
[snapback]710376[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Thanks for that explanation. I was of the understanding that the ECM could revert to enrichment at any time the coolant temp was low enough regardless of how long the engine had been run.
 

·
boost junkie
Joined
·
10,865 Posts
After this weekend I think the 611 map is great for WOT lake runs and mods

I didnt like it in the trails or 660 runs

Since I have no mods yet, the new map is great low and mid to 110

I will be going back to the newest map

We need to find out what is holding the new maping back!!


I dont think BRP cares if we go 125 they just want it to stay together

or if some 07 model can beat it out of the box

I love my mach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
BlueMax said:
Soldier said:
ZRider said:
Soldier said:
I have noticed that the temp gauge was indicating 1/2 or higher with the 06 mapping and now that I am back to the 05 mapping it rarely goes over 1/4 (Like last year)

I continue to use the temp sensor resistor trick but have not read about anyone else using it. I am suprised it is not talked about more.....Hot topic last year.....
[snapback]706779[/snapback]​
Does the resister trick seem to work for you? I really have to hammer on this thing like 8-10 passes when its cold before it will pull the rpms, then it works fine. I was thinking it may be in rich mode until the water temp comes up? Thats what the resister does right? Fools the computer into thinking the sled is warmer?
[snapback]708149[/snapback]​
Yes, the resistor seems to work, but I have not done a lot of testing with it. I do know that my engine temps stay between 1/8 and 1/4 on the gauge when I am running in good snow conditions. Yes the resistor tells the computer that the coolant temp is at about 95 degrees f.

I am suprised that there has not been more discussion about this. Has it been determined to be ineffective?
[snapback]710259[/snapback]​
Yes the resistor works. But, it only works when the engine is cold and the coolant temp has not reached 70 degrees f. The ECU when first started puts the engine in an enrichment mode to avoid a cold seizure and does not go to max performance mode until coolant temp has reached 70 degrees f. The engine produces more power when the crankcase is cold and the fuel map is at max performance. For trail riding, there is no long term gain when using the resistor. The ECU is programmed so that once you have achieved 70 degrees it will not go into enrichment mode even if coolant temp drops below 70. The ECU will not go back into the cold temp enrichment mode until you shut of your sled and attempt to restart. Hope this helps.
[snapback]710376[/snapback]​
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought one of the problems was that the coolant temp was having a trouble reaching 70 degrees in deeper snow conditions. That is were the resister helped. I have had a chance to test my switch harness some more this season and I haven't noticed much of a performance increase. Mabey because I have the updated program in my 05 and it seems to run warmer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Although I did not notice this as much last,(for some reason?),but even now with 05 map back in,it does take many runs to bring out full power.
My speed is now back.I was not sure last week,as there seemed to be no difference between the 06 (never tried 06.5 map) and 05.Maybe there is still no difference,but I am again 115+mph gps on hardpack.It could be conditions,but I don't know if I should switch again........maybe new program coming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
ams said:
Although I did not notice this as much last,(for some reason?),but even now with 05 map back in,it does take many runs to bring out full power.
My speed is now back.I was not sure last week,as there seemed to be no difference between the 06 (never tried 06.5 map) and 05.Maybe there is still no difference,but I am again 115+mph gps on hardpack.It could be conditions,but I don't know if I should switch again........maybe new program coming?
[snapback]711600[/snapback]​
Well I got back from riding my mach with the 05 program put back in with the timing advanced with 1 extra degree on the exsisting timing and here is what I found,
My sled starts better now,and when its hot I dont have to hold the throttle on to start it.
The midrange power is awsum now it seems to pull hard all over the throttle range.
My tempertures are the same with the 05 program verses the 06 program,no change it runs to cold,So I am still running the Resistor trick on the switch and I do notice at times it wont pull topend so I flick the switch and it seems to have a stronger pull to topend.
the 05 program has a nice throttle responce than the 06,Last weekend I had a bad bog 50 feet out of the hole and now it is gone,no more bog off the line.At WOT taking off the sled would stand up aimed at the sky then 50 feet out it would bog down to 6500 and then take for ever to bring up the rpms,Now it keeps the ski at the ski all the way through the shift.
I did 10 runs back to back last weekend on a fairly hard packed river,And this weekend I ran the sled back to back 10 times at the same location,But now we had a pretty good snow fall,so the snow now is looser that last weekend.
My topend results seems to me it is making more power because at 117mph the track started jumping.I tightened the track up one turn and it help mph,I hit 119 on the digital,Last weekend it was 122mph on the digital!
Now it was 119mph pass after pass,I think the track needs to be tighter and maybe the loose snow would not allow it to break 120.So I am not sure that the 1 degree timing advance made it faster or not!Would that loose snow stop it from hitting 120+? I ran the sled in the same distance as last weekend too! I could of went further and it proble would have hit 120+,but that is not the same testing that was done last weekend.
On hard packed snow I garrentee that It would hit 128mph on the digital,Just were I was testing it wasnt packed like a road would be.
My clutches were getting very hot and That is definitly robing MPH off the sled,I think the belt is slipping in the secondary because the stock spring dosnt have enough presser to keep the belt clamped tight in the secondary.If I was to put a stronger aftermarket spring it it it would help stop the belt from slipping at WOT and pull more MPH! Is there anybody out there think that alot of our topend loss is from the belt slipping in the secondary,and that we need a differant helix and stiffer spring on top??
My conclusion on the reflash of the 05 program and 1degree timing advance slowed my sled down on topend!119mph is not close to 122 when you are at WOT testing over and over at the same location.I checked AirDensity with my gauge and the condisions were almost Identical,98percent airdensity on both days of testing.Going off topic,My suspesion Mod that I did with only replacing the rear suspension rear shock,replaced with the 06 Clicker shock performed flawless,smoother and feels light like the rev.Jumping road crossings, it flew and landed like a light rev.Front dosnt bottom out and the front shocks are at the second level from the softest position.I love this sled now and would never trade it in for any kind of apex or cat ! I out rode the apex this weekend sucking up the moguals and smooth sailing,Had to stop and have a smoke to wait for them to catch up! JOE
 

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top