Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renegade riders, my shoulders are a bit sore today after this weekend of riding, back is fine, but my sled needs some suspension set up help.

2005 600 SDI Standard (non X) Renegade, SC111 rear skid. I'm probably a 160 - 165 lbs fully dressed. Still have the Precisions on. Trail conditions were great. Good hard groomed base.
While out riding on Saturday, with spanner wrench in hand, I turned this and adjusted that, and still the sled steers hard. What's the secret?
I was adjusting my shocks so much that I really can't remember where I left off, but I think this is what I got:
Rear black block with thick part to the rear.
Rear springs set on softest setting.
Front shock in skid ……not sure…???.....one down from stiffest (what'a they call it,,, 4 I think)
Front ski shocks on.....????....2, maybe 3.

Please advise.

(And for you guys that ride gade's and say that you can't tell the difference between a 136" compared to a 121" , you're full of ………????...beans, cuz……man……mine steers like a tank.
)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Drifthopper said:
Renegade riders, my shoulders are a bit sore today after this weekend of riding, back is fine, but my sled needs some suspension set up help.

2005 600 SDI Standard (non X) Renegade, SC111 rear skid. I'm probably a 160 - 165 lbs fully dressed. Still have the Precisions on. Trail conditions were great. Good hard groomed base.
While out riding on Saturday, with spanner wrench in hand, I turned this and adjusted that, and still the sled steers hard. What's the secret?
I was adjusting my shocks so much that I really can't remember where I left off, but I think this is what I got:
Rear black block with thick part to the rear.
Rear springs set on softest setting.
Front shock in skid ……not sure…???.....one down from stiffest (what'a they call it,,, 4 I think)
Front ski shocks on.....????....2, maybe 3.

Please advise.

(And for you guys that ride gade's and say that you can't tell the difference between a 136" compared to a 121" , you're full of ………????...beans, cuz……man……mine steers like a tank.
)
[snapback]281287[/snapback]​
I have a 600 sdi gade also and its brutal on the sholders super hard to steer I've tried everything changed the handlebars to the back position tried the shocks in every position your setup sounds like about where I'm at I think the next thing I will try is swithching ski's I hate the precision's wont turn worth #$%^%^ in most conditions wish I could help wish someone could help me...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Several things can decrease your steering effort. They are:

increase center spring preload, decrease front spring preloads, let limiter strap out, all these should decrease steering effort. Increasing weight transfer will, but only on accel. Of course the downside is all these will lighten pressure on the skis and tend to make your sled push or bite less in corners. Give and take my friend. The renegade is a good do it all sled, if you bought it to rail corners on trails all day, you bought the wrong sled.

Also, skis will have lots of effect on steering effort required. There's lots of opinions on that. I'm running doo flex skis on mine right now, it's a balanced approach. I've also run usi vx301s and powder pros, both good skis, both steer harder than stock skis. They will wear you out in a twisty trail. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
This is not meant as a "smart "edit for bad language"" question, but did you guys switch to Doo from a different brand? I've had Doo's for years and my Renegade handles very similar to all of the other sleds I've ridden...it just handles better, takes the bumps infinitely better, and the long track gives me better traction.

My dealer set my sled up for me. I think I'm on the second hole on the limiter strap and on the thin side on the coupler block. My front shocks are in position 1. I'm not sure of my center shock. I weigh 210 pounds. This guy has been my dealer for quite some time so he probably had a good idea on how to set it up for me. I don't have any complaints at this point.

I'll try to look at my sled tonight to give you all of the exact information. I'm actually a little light on my skis and will be looking to give myself more transfer to the front under braking so the front skis get more bite.

·
Registered
34 Posts
don't get me wrong I love my doo in a lot of conditions but I think its steering is horable I have ridden yamaha for years and stearing effort was so leght and responsive it was increadable the doo pushes in most conditions and the stearing effort is tremendous sore sholders are a daily companion now, oh well I get a better workout ha, love the engine wish yamaha would pull thier heads out and get back in on the real sledding word not the 600 pound monsters... also the center of gravity is so high they love to tip over when your ski's finally find something to grip like a rut or something !!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I will check my setup tonight. I've actually found that I have to ride my sled harder through the corners than I ever used to AND I can really get my body up and over the inside ski. Could it be that your sitting back too much and trying to cruise versus getting up on the sled and really "riding" it? I've certainly learned that this chassis performs at its best when you are pushing it hard.

The reason I ask is that it was so cold this weekend that I figured I'd try to sit "back" and keep my head low. This put me in more of a traditional riding posture. My shoulders did ache from doing this. The further up front I sat the more natural (and less pressure on the shoulders) I felt.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every time i look at the skid, the front limit strap is loose, big bend in it, is at the stock setting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah your right on sitting back the only way to make it perform is to be all the way forward and leaning inyto it mine still pushes bad and I've tried everything I've read in here except changing skis which lots of people have done after having the same issues.. thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I am on my second year with my Gade and think I am realizing I would rather have a 121". First of all the Gade is A LOT of work on tight and twisty trails and it does take away some of my enjoyment. Another thing is I aways ride with a buddy that has a 121" and when we are "surfing" through back trails (untracked) in the UP there just does not seem to be enough snow for the Gade. It is a lot of work to throw the Gade around. Now my body on his 121" (2003 MXZ) does not even have to try to throw his around it just does where ever he wants it too. It looks soooo effortless on the 121" and frankly I know he is having more fun then me. We traded once and I could not believe how easy his machine wanted to turn in powder.
Once a year we try to go out west and the Gade is nice to have there but normally I ride mid-west and always thinking that the deeper the better but if I had a 121" it would not have to be as deep to have as much fun.

Can any confirm the the 121 REV is as easy to throw around in power as a 2003 MXZ?

Anyways I am considering trading in next year for a new 121..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
""""First of all the Gade is A LOT of work on tight and twisty trails and it does take away some of my enjoyment.""""

yeah....i can agree with that.
i like mine, rides great, takes the stutter bumps great....but handles hard.

on Sat. i got to ride a 121" GSX, and boy......just after 100 yds down the trail,,,i was like man this thing handles like a dream, 10 miles later, i didn't want to get off.

·
Registered
425 Posts
for those thinking switching to the single runner flex skis will help the steering effort, do not make the change.

I have them on mine and am considering switching back to the precisions, as the effort is even MORE. They are more predictable, but tire you out. I rode 850 miles last weekend in Ontario and tired out.

p.s. the 108 studs I put in make it even worse.

my '02 Renegade was 1/2 as hard to rail around a corner and the precisions worked great on it. Not as nice in the bumps but easier to ride all day unless the trails are bumpy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
04 duplicate to your ride here. had the same problem for the first few rides. Pulled the bars back a little and lifted them up 1 1/2". that will take alot of the pain out. also check you toe on your skiis. by toeing the ski out 1/4" it almost eliminates the darting problem with the precisions.
definitly try loosening the limiter a notch this will take alot of the pressure off while on the throttle. actually helps on tight cornering with the inside ski lift also!
(thanks irondog!) i know that this doesn't sound right but it actually helps.
dont know what u were ridin before but give youself a couple of 500 mile weekends and i think you'l find that its much easier to steer. took me about 3k miles to get comfy with it commin off a zx chassis.
good luck!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
ORANGUTANG said:
04 duplicate to your ride here. had the same problem for the first few rides. Pulled the bars back a little and lifted them up 1 1/2". that will take alot of the pain out. also check you toe on your skiis. by toeing the ski out 1/4" it almost eliminates the darting problem with the precisions.
definitly try loosening the limiter a notch this will take alot of the pressure off while on the throttle. actually helps on tight cornering with the inside ski lift also!
(thanks irondog!) i know that this doesn't sound right but it actually helps.
dont know what u were ridin before but give youself a couple of 500 mile weekends and i think you'l find that its much easier to steer. took me about 3k miles to get comfy with it commin off a zx chassis.
good luck!
[snapback]281403[/snapback]​
Well this is my second year on the machine (1600+ miles) and although I think it is a great sled I know I would be happier on a 121"... We buy sleds with longer tracks that are more difficult to throw around in search of deep power which we have to travel out west for.. Here is my anwser... Buy a 121 and the snow in UP will seem deeper and provide the same rush and enjoyment surfing through..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Its not just youyr renegade....guys with 04 x 121" have been complaining about the same thing, some 05 also.

"Bodacious" and some others moved the front arm location on their renegade and have posted that it helped.

I dont think this is possible on my 121"....??

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an 05 Gade X with USI SPX's, which steers like a tank. It deffinitly goes where you point it, but it is going to take me some time to get used to it. My wife rode it for 2 miles and switched back because she could not steer it.

This is the first Rev I have owned, do they all steer hard? My wife needs a new sled. I would like to get her a 500ss, but if it steers anything like mine, she not going to like it. She is currently on a Yamaha SX, which you can steer with one finger.

·
Registered
637 Posts
C-money said:
I have an 05 Gade X with USI SPX's, which steers like a tank. It deffinitly goes where you point it, but it is going to take me some time to get used to it. My wife rode it for 2 miles and switched back because she could not steer it.

This is the first Rev I have owned, do they all steer hard? My wife needs a new sled. I would like to get her a 500ss, but if it steers anything like mine, she not going to like it. She is currently on a Yamaha SX, which you can steer with one finger.
[snapback]281447[/snapback]​
My misses just bought a used SXR 700, steers really light. First time we've ever owned a high HP yammie, I'm impressed with the triple. That beening said the weight of the chassis and the feel of the snowmobile sucks compared to my rev. Even my misses says my Renegades feels like shes on rails. Never ever had a problem with steering.

·
Registered
111 Posts
C-money said:
[snapback]281447[/snapback]​
I just ran 500+ miles on my new 500SS Trail. No, it doesn't steer particularly hard. And I am not a strong guy. It is very responsive to setup. You can make simple spring changes for more steering bite and effort, or less. I have ridden Indys that were even lighter effort though.

-Don

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My 'Gade' (Expedition) I have found to be not that bad to steer at all. But it is quite a bit lighter on the front end than 'real' Gades, and in real loose stuff still has some push to it. I suspect that if there was enough weight on the skis to stop the little bit of push, I'd have some pretty heavy steering. I think it's pretty simple, that's a pretty big track with pretty big teeth, and if you want it to turn you have to have some good bite on the skis. On hardpack, mine's great.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Drifthopper said:
""""First of all the Gade is A LOT of work on tight and twisty trails and it does take away some of my enjoyment.""""

yeah....i can agree with that.
i like mine, rides great, takes the stutter bumps great....but handles hard.

on Sat. i got to ride a 121" GSX, and boy......just after 100 yds down the trail,,,i was like man this thing handles like a dream, 10 miles later, i didn't want to get off.

[snapback]281378[/snapback]​
heeeeeeyyyy!!!???lol...why did'nt you say that???i'd have loved to ride your sled longer than i did!! especially in some tight twisties. your sled has me convinced that the 136 is a much better ride than my 121. you will gat used to the steering effort after a while. try an INDY XLT for a couple hundred miles!!!much harder than your gade. been there done that with blairs XLT. i did''nt want to impose on you and ride your sled further than i did...some guy's won't swap at all but that is the best way to compare handling, ride etc... NOW!!...swapping back to a conventional sled!!!that really sucks but acts as a great reminder just how excellent your sled really is. you have some good advice here so far...try it!! lenthen your limiter strap...never mind that it;s always slack when you look at it!! your not sitting on the sled at acceleration just then!! soften those front shocks spring preload as much as possible...less ski pressure..not more...i don't care what your clutch cover says. it's not achieving the results you want!! i know for sure...more spring load...harder steering. doo is stating those adjustments differently than we are translating them. even my GSX 121 is considerably harder to steer than my INDY 500 was...it was super easy. but there is always a trade off for easy....push in corners, sliding on ice and hard packed. you keep stiffening the front skid shock and it will take the slack out of the limiter strap when moving and keep the rear swing arm to softest setting, and front shocks to softest NOT HARDEST preload setting too. and your rear transfer block should be thin side to the rear as to NOT transfer pressure to the front arm and hence ski's. i ordered the flex-ski;s for mine today so let me know how you like yours before i pick mine up on wednesday eh!! i know they will definitely be much better than the precisions BUT.....ONLY WITH THE WOODY'S DOOLY'S on them. i rode marks and blairs pooh's on the trails with those dooly's and they are really awesome for tracking. you should have tried blairs sled out too and you would have experienced the OTHER end of the steering spectrum. it is soooooo light on the front end you can steer it with one BABY finger...BUT!!! try racing down the trail with that ski pressure...and you;re not going around ANY corners...too light just pushes straight on through. play with it man!!you'll get in the zone!! and get yourself a peck deck for home....develop a little steering muscle!! lol...

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
Im going to adjust the shocks on my dads new renegade for him. I have never done it myslef. So, Could someone lost the tools I will need and well, basically how to do it? Thanks. Greatly appreciated. He just had surgery on his arm so he cant do it. As soon as the sling comes off he says "IM GOING RIDING".

1 - 20 of 60 Posts