Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these motors that are going out have the "POLISHED" connecting rods in them?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Mine didn't look too polished when I saw them yesterday. Couldn't say for sure !!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
tweener said:
Are these motors that are going out have the "POLISHED" connecting rods in them?
[snapback]730641[/snapback]​
Very good question! The new polished rods are supposed to be stronger then previous rods. I'd like to add to tweeners question. Is the rod breaking or are the crank bearings failing,or both? I'd like to know this myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Motor said:
tweener said:
Very good question! The new polished rods are supposed to be stronger then previous rods. I'd like to add to tweeners question. Is the rod breaking or are the crank bearings failing,or both? I'd like to know this myself.
[snapback]731354[/snapback]​
Which sleds are supposed to have the polished rods the 06's? I'm looking at an 06 GSX LTD 800 HO which is why i am curious.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
tweener said:
Tweener I have checked with alot of doo dealers out west here, and not one 06 power tek rod failure yet, the odd piston failure do to lean jetting, but that is all. I do not understand why all the 06 power tek MX-Z failures.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One dealer in Winnipeg has had 4 complete failures, and several hurt 800 pts. He said they are not sure why these seem to be having so many problems, but he did say they are having trouble getting parts or complete motors possibly due to more demand then normal. By the way there was a 800 sitting on the floor of the shop with a broken lower case on the exhaust side, which prompted the conversation.

DUPPYPOG

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
My rod didn't let go but looks like it went lean and some got into the large end rod bearing causing some damage, so dealer is putting in new crank. PTO side jug, piston and head damage.
-Grover

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Mine was the Lower Rod bearing failure which took out the case and crank and piston and jug on Mag side, he said everything looked like it was well coated in oil so don't really know what the cause was except for a BO bearing that decided it was time to let go, Only 3200 miles on it, not very good in my book eother way you look at it

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Cudney Racing said:
I haven't seen any rod bearing failures but I have seen now over 20 broken rods in 2006 PT's. -- Bill
[snapback]731881[/snapback]​
20 at one dealer... that sure sounds excessive...! not sure how many were sold though-

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just shy of a dozen at my dealer waiting for engs. Good one BURP!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Mine was the third 05 800 P-Tek at my dealer to come in blown up all three looked the same inside they said

·
Registered
22 Posts
so what are people trying to say the 06's are supposed to be a stonger motor due to the polished rods or are more poeple having problems with the 06's?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ski-B said:
tweener said:
Tweener I have checked with alot of doo dealers out west here, and not one 06 power tek rod failure yet, the odd piston failure do to lean jetting, but that is all. I do not understand why all the 06 power tek MX-Z failures.
[snapback]731568[/snapback]​
Could this be that sea level MXZ's are puttin more horsepower thru the rods?

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys still haven't been answering my original questiojn............POLISHED RODS...or NOT.......

???????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts