Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know from any GTX riders how they handle off trail (in powder or on a lake with no trails) versus the Expedition Sport?

Does the smaller sized track and precision skis hold up off trail? What would be the noticeable differences between a) the plastic single runner skis vs precision skis; b) 16/136/1.25 track vs 15/136/.88 track c) 550f engine vs 600 sdi--any major differences in reliability or maintenance issues if not mechanically inclined and d) ride quality/performance/comfort differences?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I haven't riden a GTX, but can maybe give some comments based on some of your questions.
I think with the SDI motor, your mechanical inclinations won't make much difference, you can't do to much on that motor anyway because of all the electronics and controls, you'll still be needing a dealer for fuel and ignition issues (except maybe for a spark plug change). It'll have way more power (40-50 hp maybe?), and probably better gas mileage too. I haven't got enough miles on my Expedition (I like to call it a Gade) to get a good mpg figure, but I don't think it's that great.
The suspension on the GTX is much better. The Expedition is really cheaped out, no couplers, no way to adjust spring preload on front skid shock or ski shocks, I thought I was going to get a SC3, but it's not even that. Having said all that, I'm still happy with the way it works, so far. Maybe that's because of what my last sled was.
I went to Flex skis, I think they're worlds better than the Precisions. I didn't try the stockers, but I thought they had a pretty good looking keel on them. They're pretty stiff though.
I don't think you'll loose a lot of floatation from the 15 in track. All things being equal it won't load the motor as much and you'll have better performance (high speed), at the loss of traction, which might be a concern with a bigger motor.
I am really impressed at how mine crawls thru the deep snow at slow track speed. Floatation is out of this world, not like what I'm used to at all. With no sway bar (yet), it is pretty east to throw around, but dips and dives too easy when you don't want it too, with the soft front shocks.
Wow, that went longer than I thought it would.
Good luck, anyway...

·
Registered
821 Posts
I love my GTX 600SDI and my buddy loves his also. But, we both had 15x1.25 tracks put on as part of the purchase deal. If I had known at the time that the 16 would fit, I would have got that one. So basically I have a 04 Renegade and this thing is unbelievable off trail and just sings on the groomed stuff. If you want the best of all worlds, get the GTX with 1.25 track....awsome!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts