Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post ever because I need some advice. I have an 05 GTX 550f stock. I bought it used. It has 2700 kms on it. I am a 120lb woman. This thing darts like crazy. The front shocks aren’t adjustable and I’ve tried what adjustment this machine has to no avail. I suspect my light weight doesn’t help.

Where do I even start? My dad says new skis. Some people say shocks.

We mostly ride trails but do spend some time on the lake at the cottage. Fresh powder it’s ok. Anything else it is awful.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Welcome to dootalk. You'll get a couple dozen ideas here so proceed with caution.

Your weight has little to do with this. Of course a sled should be set up to a rider and her riding style and weight factors in but darting has little to do with weight.

Looking at that sled on a parts fiche your stock skis suck and surprisingly the front shocks appear non-adjustable. Wow. What were they thinking.

If what I'm seeing is correct I would agree that better front shocks and newer, better skis are in order. Get some X package shocks from an MXZ of similar vintage and some Pilot 5.7 skis from same vintage. Probably a $400 investment in CN dollars. Install the carbides as mentioned above (another 2 bills) and you're on your way. Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Those came with a ski that had one carbide but you could drill out the outer holes for a second. I had one new off the floor and road it for ten years only using the center carbide. Check the sled to make sure its straight and nothing is bent, new carbides and nothing is wrong with the ski's, they can be bent it someone pulled on them with a tow rope or hit something.
What the stock ski would do was follow the ski track of another sled if the snow was hard or firm.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Looks to me like it came with some odd 1 off ski. Not a Pilot or a Precision. Don't think it's meant to be modded with an additional carbide like the Pilot.
Eye Light Human body Slope Organism

The 05 MXZ's had the Precision's.
Slope Naval architecture Organism Font Line

·
Registered
2020 Enduro 900NA, 2022 Enduro 900NA, 2016 Adrenaline 800
629 Posts
Congrats Sisu on the new sled!

I usually start with cheap and easy first. We have cured darting on Yamaha and Ski-doo sleds with Woody’s dooly carbides and making sure ski alignment is correct. Incorrect alignment can have a huge negative impact on darting.Search dootalk for how to check alignment.

Lots of folks are fans of shimming and SnowTracker or shaper carbides, we just have never tried either. Woody’s Navigators are also popular, they are installed just ahead of the carbide.

I do know darting on your sled can be fixed, some of our sleds were unridable and I thought the sled was junk. But a bit of research and relatively little investment often solves the darting problem.

·
Registered
89 Mach1 , 05 500ss , 21 Gade Sport 600ace
17,293 Posts
What shape are the skis physically in?
If the skis are worn down/lots of miles/abused/not flat, adding more aggressive carbides and shimming won’t help a worn out ski.
Each ski is 1/3 of the contact to the ground, I Would suggest getting 2 brand new skis and carbides and then reporting back after a ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts